Intro, meet my new 81CB650

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

The Night Rider

Intro, meet my new 81CB650

Postby The Night Rider » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:11 am

Hi everybody. I just picked up a new to me 81 CB650. I'm looking forward to getting it running and putting some miles on her. I live in Kamloops, BC which is desert country with lots of awesome twisty roads to explore.

It's been in a shed for the last five years and has 18,000km on it. It's in as good a shape as I could ask for so I'm hoping it won't be too hard to get her back on the road. The top end was taken apart and put back together finger tight by the last owner so I will start to strip it and see whats missing. I did pick up 4 sets of rings and a new head gaskets with it so I figure thats where I will start. I didn't get to talk to the last owner, just his x-landlord who sold it to me so no past history. The landlords kids took the throttle cable off for an arts and crafts project(?) so hopefully not too much else was scavenged from it.

My mech skills would be rated pretty low compared to most on here so I hope to get some help from you guys as well as explore the forum for tips and tutorials. I did fix up a 79 XS400 last year so I do have some bike experience but limited for sure.

I have plans to cafe it but for now its about getting it running and riding before the end of summer.

I picked it up for $400 so I figure I got a pretty good deal. I'll keep you all updated on my progress and thanks in advance for any tips or help anyone can throw my way.

Andrew

Also, is there an explanation for why the grab bar seems to be the first thing stripped off or lost on old bikes! :?: Seems to be the case with every old bike i've looked at.

Folsoml

Re: Intro, meet my new 81CB650

Postby Folsoml » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:09 am

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking bike! Not having any history might be even better than a lot of half-truths and flat out lies from a previous owner.

For what reason do you intend to take off the top end?

Check out the General Discussion forum for a free on-line manual.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

The Night Rider

Postby The Night Rider » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:37 pm

Hi Folsoml, like I said in the intro, the previous owner had removed the top end and put it back together. There is a bolt snapped off in the head which I need to remove as well. I havent found it yet, that's just what the guy told me. Good times.

The bike came with new head and case gaskets as well as 4 sets of rings so I assume the guy was about to do it. It would be great to get it running with a fresh top end. I will clean/ rebuild the carbs while Im at it so its going to be a while befor I get her going.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:10 pm

Very nice. The rings and gaskets are worth half what you paid. My next tank is going to be red.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

johnnyg

Postby johnnyg » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:36 am

Hey man Nice score!

You're in the right place for sure. tons of info here.

Last year I bobbed my 82 and rode the shit out of it all last summer. Now it's on the table in my shop for a redo.

I am in Blind Bay so an hour away and yeah for sure we have a lot of cool riding here. Well for 7 months anyway!

Good luck and if I can assist you at all just say hey!

Sangheraent

Postby Sangheraent » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:32 pm

Hello everyone! I am the proud new owner of this motorcycle. I decided to just carry on this thread as you have all been introduced to it already!

This bike has been passed on a few times because it had a head gasket leak and somewhere along the line someone broke a bolt in the case, so people attempted it let it sit and passed it on.

As the previous owner mentioned the bike came with new rings and head gasket but has a broken head bolt in the engine case. See pic below some jerk tried to drill it out but used too big of a drill bit and also missed the hole but for some odd reason kept going. Regardless I have one of the best machinists I have ever met 10 mins from my house and I know he can fix it, I just hope I don't have to take the engine out and split the motor.

The bike will sit for a bit now because I don't have paperwork for the bike and have to apply to get it and if the bike is taken wrongfully or original owner wants it back or whatever the deal may be I have a chance of losing it so I am not going to spend any money until that clears.

Head will be rebuilt while I'm in there

soo dirtyyy

Return to “Show it off”