clutch cable problems

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

pabs11

clutch cable problems

Postby pabs11 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:27 am

Hi Guys,

I hope everyone is doing well.

Sorry if I havent been much of a contributor but Im still learning about this particular bike.

I had a few question about my clutch cable and hopefully can get a solution for my problem.

So my bike came with a lose clutch cable, it was missing the adjustment bolt on the perch. After picking up an adjustment bolt from my local overpriced dealer, I attached the bolt and found it really hard to pull the clutch leaver, and I mean really hard. I dont have the biggest hands and after squeezing the lever down many times in a row, it starts to hurt my hand. The lever is really hard to press down, you almost need two hands.

I know from youtube videos the leavers on other bikes squeeze easily and I tried a few things to solve my problem.

- Lubing up the clutch Cable: I tried lubing up the cable as best as I could and noticed the cable had a lot of crud in it. After a while, managed to clean most of the crud out and the cable was easily going back and forth with in the rubber tubing. After putting it back on, I still had the same results.

- Lubing up the main Lever - I sprayed a lot of lube on the main lever ( the lever attached to the actual clutch ) , and it seems almost impossible to move by hand.

well thats about it.

If anyone know of this problem or can share any thoughtful solutions, I would highly appreciate it.

PS

Anyone here shorten their clutch cable, and what were your exact measurements?

Thanks

jcasey007

Re: clutch cable problems

Postby jcasey007 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:08 am

when you say you cannot move the clutch lever (on the side of the engine), do you mean that you cannot move it even in the free play.

you would not be able to move it to disengage the clutch but it should be super free when moving it over the free play.

The mechanism uses two needle roller bearings pressed into the clutch housing (one top, one bottom) so unless they have completely failed I don't think it would be these.

my advice would be to buy a new clutch cover gasket and get the cover off to make sure the clutch basket and thrust bearings are good. not a difficult job but you will need to replace the gasket.

cheers

Jim

pabs11

Postby pabs11 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:31 am

Thanks for your quick reply.

hmm ill look into it with the cover off, im going to need a oil pan when taking off the cover?

Thanks

jcasey007

Postby jcasey007 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:42 am

no just the side clutch cover gasket

FordMan

Postby FordMan » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:54 pm

Mine was stiff as well, try replacing the cable before tearing the clutch cover off, i replaced mine with a Motion Pro cable and it now pulls smooth as silk. Very little effort to pull.

I lubed the snot out of mine, and it slid easy in the housing, but was still stiff, when trying to pull from the lever, like superman grip hard to pull.

the clutch should not be easily movable by hand, at the case, it seems like pulling the cover might be premature idk, besides u are ahead of the game with a new cable if u still need to pull the cover

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161073917399

Regarding shortening the cable, i installed drag bars, and a bit of rerouting is in order with the stock length, i had to tuck it in behind the top tree and it lays in there nice
"Vintage Revolution"
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOrn_h ... DZhOPmH81w
Current:
1979 Honda CB650 (HardTail Build)
1983 Suzuki GS850L (Fix and Minor Restore)
Old:
1989 Suzuki Katana 600
1978 Honda CB400T "Hawk"
1983 Honda VF750

pabs11

Postby pabs11 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:15 am

Thanks Ford Man,

I think your right, my cable is really old and when i tuck it or move it around, it seems to get harder to pull.

I have clubman bars and still find the length of the cable too excessive. It seems to be getting in the way.

Thanks for all your help guys.

pabs11

Postby pabs11 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:36 pm

hello again,

So I went and purchased the clutch cable, FordMan posted on the thread and recieved the cable today. I installed the cable and it my clutch works awesome now, I can even pull it with two fingers.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Take care

Return to “Show it off”