New project for me.

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Spyug53

New project for me.

Postby Spyug53 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:55 pm

Well after better than a year, I finally picked up the free to me 1981 model.
Friend George had it in his garage unridden for 10 + years. After replacing it with a V Star a year or two back he decided he would be unlikely to get it going again and as he needed the room it had to go.

Being keen to give old bikes new life and eager to get back in to wrenching I pounced on it...albeit slowly.

Today I remembered how much I enjoy wrenching and I spent a cold but relaxing afternoon in the man cave. Twirling wrenches is fun and I stripped off the windscreen and backrest with parcel rack so I could clean off some of the accumulated grime. Fortunately not to much of that and she now looks somewhat presentable.

At this time she is still a non runner. A year or so ago an attempt was made to get her to fire but the carbs are fudged up. They were cleaned but I believe a few parts have gone astray. I suspect a new set will be required so I will be looking for a new rack in due course.

Plans for the bike are not yet fully formed but I'm leaning towards just a freshening up and flipping her out. But I might even keep her to ride myself as the forward lean of my current FZ750 is getting a bit hard on the old back.

I guess we will see and I'll let you know.
A pic or two:

I'll keep you informed of how it goes.

Cheers.
"Slowest beasts are always strongest and Manage to live the longest".
"If it's no Scottish, it's crap".

Folsoml

Re: New project for me.

Postby Folsoml » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:37 am

Looks like a very nice starting point!
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Spyug53

Postby Spyug53 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:34 am

Thanks.

In most of my previous restos , I have done some serious mods that usually end up costing a bundle. I think this time I will keep it stock.

I need a new clutch for the FZ so I'm tempted to just get it running, clean it up, refurb the brakes and put on fresh rubber for a quick flip.

On the other hand, it looks fairly comfortable for this old broken down body so perhaps its a keeper and the FZ finds a new home. Mind you, giving up all those 105 horses might be tough :roll:

We will have to wait and see how see rolls.

I'll keep you guys in the loop.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:27 am

Looks all right.
Note that these are piston carbs, so don't look for 81/82 carb rebuild sets. :wink:
These valve covers are not from a Custom, so probably the complete engine including the carbs comes from a 1979 or a Z-model.
So be careful, other parts might not be stock, too.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Spyug53

Postby Spyug53 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:37 am

Vielen Dank Volker,
It is quite common over here to have bikes registered as later models than they actually are. This one shows as an '81 but I haven't checked any manufacturing numbers. It could well have been a 79 or 80 model that didn't sell and was held over until 81.

I can see those carbs being a real issue and I would like to junk them in favour of the CV type but I learn now that requires a different head. I'd like to avoid that added expense so I will have to soldier on with the mechanicals.

Two years ago my buddy had the carbs in for an expensive "professional" cleaning that was anything but. My buddy, his brother in law (and my oldest friend of 45+ years) a teacher and licenced auto mechanic and myself spent many hours trying to get it to run. Absolutely no luck.

We had the carbs in and out and re-cleaned several times but nothing we tried could get the juice to flow. In all my years of fiddling with cars and bikes I have never had such a tough time. Frustrating to the extreme.

At the time, I suspected that some parts may have been left out but we didn't have and couldn't find a parts schematic to refer to and none of us had any experience with these carbs. I have since obtained a Clymer so once I have them out again I can go through them to verify if everything is still there.

Years ago I learned that in cases like this it is often a good idea to have a replacement set at hand so the feelers are already out as I must get this bike back on its rubber by spring.

Bike refurbing is definitely fun but I can do without the "roadblocks".

I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Cheers.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:25 pm

It does have all the markings of a 81 custom except the carbs. Just something to be aware of. Looks good.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

MEHall

Postby MEHall » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:26 pm

Looks nice, i hope you get it running. :wink:

What type of handlebar is it on the bike? :?:

8)
Riding bikes? I ride where ever i want and whenever i want. :wink:

Online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com/

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:37 am

Spyug53 wrote:Vielen Dank Volker,

Gern geschehen! :D

Spyug53 wrote: It could well have been a 79 or 80 model that didn't sell and was held over until 81.

This is a RC05 frame, they started 1980. But the fork is definitely 1981 Custom. The 1980 European Custom double disk fork is different and the 1980 US Custom has a single disk fork (like all US models except 1981 Custom and 1982 nighthawk).
All the Customs do not have these valve covers with OHC 650 stamped on it like yours.

So for parts issues, one should assume you have a 1981 Custom with a 79 engine and carbs.
In summary, probably only the head, the throttle cables and the carbs are different from a 1981 Custom as far as I can see now.
Good to know because there are many tricky small differences between CB650 models and years. Always worth to compare old with new parts when buying parts.

Spyug53 wrote: I can see those carbs being a real issue and I would like to junk them in favour of the CV type but I learn now that requires a different head. I'd like to avoid that added expense so I will have to soldier on with the mechanicals.

There is nothing wrong with the mechanical carbs. Clean out the tank, put in a fine enough inline filter and they just work. At least mine did for more than 20 years without cleaning. But US fuel is different and I don't know for Canada.

Spyug53 wrote:Two years ago my buddy had the carbs in for an expensive "professional" cleaning that was anything but. My buddy, his brother in law (and my oldest friend of 45+ years) a teacher and licenced auto mechanic and myself spent many hours trying to get it to run. Absolutely no luck.
Did it at least sputter a bit with starter fluid?

Spyug53 wrote:We had the carbs in and out and re-cleaned several times but nothing we tried could get the juice to flow.
Did you get at least fuel into the floater bowls?

Good luck!

MEHall wrote: What type of handlebar is it on the bike?

Looks like stock to me.

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

MEHall

Postby MEHall » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:11 am

Hmm... Then i wonder where it's possible to get that type of handlebar. :roll: :wink:

8)
Riding bikes? I ride where ever i want and whenever i want. :wink:

Online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com/

Spyug53

Postby Spyug53 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:44 am

Thanks guys.

As far as I know the bike is stock the way my buddy bought it new out of the showroom. I don't know if the handlebar is standard or was an upgrade of some kind. Frankly it is not to my taste and the first changeout will be to a flatter low rise bar.........so it could end up going to Sweden, ha,ha.

With the carbs, I forget all that we did and check but I recall we spent hours on it and consumed many a brew while scratching our heads. As I mentioned, we are all three experienced wrenchers and I have forgotten how many car, bike, boat, snowblower and lawnmower engine carbs I have worked on in the last 45 years....but plenty. I think we did try a little quickstart and I think we got some sputters but that was it. I do remember, at one point, we had fuel in the bowls as it leaked out of the drain plug through a rotten gasket.

I am planning on getting the carbs off again this weekend and will have another go at cleaning now that I have a manual. I have never worked on mechanical carbs but have only heard they are difficult to tune so I am a bit intimidated......but that has never stopped me.

With the help of my new good friends here and some of the wags from my old haunt The GS Resources I am sure I'll get this puppy barking again. :lol:

Cheers all.

spitifre

Postby spitifre » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:58 pm

THE BIKE LOOKS GREAT. SOMEBODY LOOKED AFTER THAT ONE. COMPARED TO WHAT I HAVE TO WORK WITH I AM KINDA ENVIOUS. BUT AS BUDDY SAID TO ME, YOU BETTER HAVE A GOOD SENSE OF HUMOR TO WORK ON THAT JUNK. YOUR BIKE CERTAINLY WAS A GREAT FIND.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:11 am

Spyug53 wrote:As far as I know the bike is stock the way my buddy bought it new out of the showroom.

Still possible. Might be a country specific bike, e.g. the 79 in South Africa had a single disk silver comstar front wheel.

Spyug53 wrote: I have never worked on mechanical carbs but have only heard they are difficult to tune so I am a bit intimidated......but that has never stopped me.

The piston carbs are sensitive to pods or aftermarket air filters so in this case "difficult to tune" is correct. But they just work fine with the stock airbox and filter as you seem to have.
Make sure they are synced, i.e. all four pistons simultaneously open to the same, tiny gap when you turn in the black idle knob. This visual synchronisation should be sufficient for a smooth idle on all four at 1000rpm or not too much above.

BTW, in principle, the floaters of the piston carbs can be mounted upside down.

However the most important issue remains: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5848&start=5 :lol:

Return to “Show it off”