New member, New bike

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Night_bobber

New member, New bike

Postby Night_bobber » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:37 am

Hey all, I recently purchased my first motorcycle being an 82 cb650sc nighthawk. When I got it, the guy had made it seem like it was in great condition but now I keep finding new things that I need to tinker with. There are quite a few things that were removed completely and others that have just been hidden pretty well. I've purchased a clymer's manual to help me get through the tricky parts. The first thing I did was remove the headlight shield so that I could re connect the ignition switch. From there I noticed the top fork plate was upside down and now I can't get it back on. it is definitely a work in progress but will keep me busy and teach me more about the bike as well.

Night_bobber

Re: New member, New bike

Postby Night_bobber » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:37 pm

Here is what the starting bike looks like, I will upload more pictures as work continues.
The Mortician
82 cb650sc Bobber

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:46 pm

Looks like a nice project!
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Night_bobber

Postby Night_bobber » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:43 am

Ok guys, i've seen you work magic in helping others with issues. I was messing around with my bike last night trying to re attach the top fork bridge and the angle between the frame stem and the two forks is off (maybe about 1/4"), almost like it has to be forced into place. :? I only have a home "shop" so my tool list might not be complete. Does anyone have any pointers? I can try to take a picture tonight to give everyone a visual of what i'm talking about.
The Mortician
82 cb650sc Bobber

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:16 pm

The problem with what you have is that it has a non-standard front end on it. Who knows what kind of bike it came from or what modifications the previous owner did to make it work.

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Night_bobber

Postby Night_bobber » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:39 pm

Bugger. It is the same bridge that he was using just flipped over. Now I just have to figure out how to reattach it correctly. It seems like i need to put it on the forks then pull it away from the bike to be able to drop it onto the steering stem...
The Mortician
82 cb650sc Bobber

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:20 pm

In your picture above, the forks appear to be sticking out farther than normal--or at least are tilted at a different angle. They may not be original Nighthawk forks, and the previous owner may have only been able to get them to fit by flipping that bridge.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:28 am

Welcome here! :D

I am a bit worried about the fork bridges. If the PO bent them to make the fork fit at some different angle and you bend them back this is nothing alumina really can cope with. I would not like to have bent alumina in my steering. And I am not really very sensitive with that issues.

Note that the 82 fork (and fork bridges/clamps) are a bit thicker than 79-81 forks.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

MiGhost

Postby MiGhost » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:32 am

Those monkey bars are a telltale sign that the front end is not stock to the bike. The 82 nighthawk used a strange post style bar that inserted down through the top clamp. It is likely that the triple tree is raked to give it a chopper look. Turning the top clamp over will not work.

Post some close up pics without the headlight, and fairing obstructing the view.
~ Ghost

PD50 Carb Info
82 CB650SC Brake Caliper Info

Stable
Wayward Son:1980 CB650C, RestoMod Period Custom Touring
Bad Moon: 1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim, Full Dress Tour Deluxe w/ X-1 Fairing
Nemesis: 1983 XJ750K Maxim, Old School style chopper

Night_bobber

Postby Night_bobber » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:37 am

Hey all, sorry for being away for a while. Things got really busy with job, side job, family. (same excuses :lol: ) I will be back working on my bike tonight and will take some close up photos of the forks so you guys can see what i'm working with. I'm hoping to have this part finished by the weekend so i can start on the next project for this bike.
The Mortician
82 cb650sc Bobber

Night_bobber

Postby Night_bobber » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:31 pm

Hey all, I don't have pictures like I promised but I have made some progress. I removed the front wheel, reassembled the top fork plate, attached the ignition switch, reattached the carbs (project for another day), throttle and clutch cable. Still have a lot of work ahead of me but have to do it in sections so I'm not overwhelmed.
The Mortician
82 cb650sc Bobber

Return to “Show it off”