'80 CB650 Custom, now even more custom.

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Bohan

'80 CB650 Custom, now even more custom.

Postby Bohan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:48 pm

Last summer I bought a 1980 CB650 Custom. Yuck. Oh well, it was 400 bucks and had leaky carbs and wouldn't charge the battery. My goal was to make it some combination of tracker/bratstyle, with emphasis on a flat line from the front of the tank tot he back of the seat, and an empty triangle under the seat. and get rid of most of the chrome.

During that time, the carbs were cleaned and rebuilt with new gaskets and upgraded jets to match the pod filters and exhaust.

At one point it was a frame and an engine in my friend's back yard.

Lots of chrome and comstars were disposed of.

I chopped the subframe off and welded on a flat seat hoop, rear downtubes and shock mounts. The tank is from a CB450. The front slips on to the rubber mounts, but not at the right angle, so i lowered them and moved them forward maybe 3/4". I also built a custom rear mount since it was attaching to the new seat hoop. The biggest pain was moving the petcock bung from the right to the left side.

Welding in the back yard was fun times. I also got standard wheels. I'm glad I didn't sell the comstars, because the sprocket carriers between the standard and custom are different. Luckily it swaps over. I had read that CB750 front wheels are a direct swap, and I did get one and it fit in the forks, but it uses a 6 bolt brake rotor while the 650 uses a 5 bolt rotor. I also tried a 550 wheel which fits but had a backwards speedo sender. A CB650 wheel was way harder to find but worth it in the long run.

I eventually took the bike to my other friend's house so he could help with the wiring. We basically built a 90% new wiring harness to accommodate the relocated electronic modules and battery, and deleted dash stuff and front turn signals. The aforementioned charging issue turned out to be just a burned plug on the rectifier.

And then, it was rideable!

Since this photo I found some leaks in the tank and had them fixed and painted it silver, then got bar end mirrors.

Other stuff I did: mini gauges, tracker bars, mini switches, kawi brake master, smaller headlight, lowered the forks 3.5" (internally, not through the triples), new brake line, CB350 clutch cable, short speedo cable (all because of the low bars and short forks), bigger rear sprocket, new chain. Anything else? I dunno, probably.
Last edited by Bohan on Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Folsoml

Re: '80 CB650 Custom, now even more custom.

Postby Folsoml » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:27 pm

Wow! What a difference!
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

PEImatrix

Postby PEImatrix » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:25 pm

Nice!

gojoego

Postby gojoego » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:32 pm

That is a great looking bike!!! Good work!

Bohan

Postby Bohan » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:07 am

thanks!

i was preparing to hear stuff like "get out of here, hipster" and "pod filters suck" :D

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:10 am

Welcome here! :D

Interesting and consistent build.
Except maybe the chromed spring cups don't really fit that bike any more.
No stiffeners in the seat carrier hoop. :roll:
Where is your battery, just above the swing arm axle? :)
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Bohan

Postby Bohan » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:53 am

I'm waiting to see if i'm going to have issues with the rear tire hitting the fender and seat pan. if i need to get new shocks, there are black options. there's also paint, but again i'll wait to see if i'm keeping the stockers or not.

the hoop is spanned by two pieces of flat stock that hold the electronics panel (not that structural) and a piece of tube right where the shock mounts are (very structural). in the 3-piece picture that shows it painted, that was obviously before that stuff was there, but i painted it to keep the rust away since the bike lived outside for a few months.

yes, the battery is above the swing arm axle. it has a flat stock strap holding it to the back of the case. it's a pretty small battery, but seems to be strong enough.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:13 am

Bohan wrote:the hoop is spanned by ... and a piece of tube right where the shock mounts are (very structural).

Fine. Exactly this was my concern.

BTW, one can remove these spring cups. I once did it to install these
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2743&start=2
which might be an option to avoid the swing arm hitting the seat, too, if required.
One has to heat up the alumina top mount (remove rubber) considerably to burn the bolt adhesive in there.
Otherwise no chance to grab and hold the rod without damaging it for turning the top mount off.
Some external spring compression is required, too.

The crucial issue with regard to CB650 battery power is hot starting/cranking.

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Bohan

Postby Bohan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:10 am

oh cool, that's good to know the cups come off easily enough.

Also, I've only put a handful of miles on the bike since I got it rideable, but the left dust cover keep coming up the fork. you can see it in the "after" picture. I'm wondering if it just needs some encouragement to stay put of if it's a sign of twisted forks or something more problematic.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:10 am

Usually one is happy to get out the hard, stubborn dust covers without damage at all.
So I would suspect the left dust cover is cut, with the bottom part still sticking in the fork above the fork seal. Possibly it was damaged during an effort to replace the fork seals.

Bohan

Postby Bohan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:11 pm

Here's how she sits as of today. Still working out some bugs, but good enough for a ride!

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:45 am

Chain looks like it might be too loose, but better too loose than too tight.
There should be no need to have the choke pulled once it is warm. :wink:

Bohan

Postby Bohan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:01 am

sometimes i still need a little choke. sigh.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:37 am

Yes, pods are not that simple. :roll:
Makes sure you don't run it too lean at load. It may end up in severe engine damage due to overheating.
So keep an eye on your plugs. CB650 plugs are typically a bit white but do not go further to the lean side!

Return to “Show it off”