A few pics

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

snead-0

A few pics

Postby snead-0 » Mon May 04, 2015 2:50 am

Well, here are a few pics of my bike, as promised.

Its a pretty original bike, with only 8600 miles on it, I still do need to change the rear tire though.

Folsoml

Re: A few pics

Postby Folsoml » Mon May 04, 2015 4:09 am

Looking good!
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

socal1200r

Postby socal1200r » Mon May 04, 2015 5:06 pm

I like the "patina" of the gas tank! Those four mufflers are just screaming for the hole saw mod!

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue May 05, 2015 2:22 am

Could need some care but still looks good.
Yes, this rear tyre looks really old.
BTW, tyres older than about 7years are often hard and slippery. Not that problematic when warm and dry but dangerous on cold or wet roads.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

snead-0

Postby snead-0 » Tue May 05, 2015 3:48 am

Thanks everyone! The tank and side covers (Which arent on there in those) are going to stay the same. I am definitely getting at least a new rear tire on it. (The rear has a lot of dryrot on it anyway) I am thinking about doing new age lights on it, to put less draw on the poor charging system. Along with pods, and a different exhaust. For now at least. I have the itch just to ride it!

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue May 05, 2015 4:04 am

snead-0 wrote:... Along with pods, ...
... I have the itch just to ride it!

There might be a certain potential for conflict here. :lol:
However CV carbs are usually less problematic with pods.

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

snead-0

Postby snead-0 » Wed May 06, 2015 2:59 am

Haha well, I am not sure if someone went through the carbs and rebuilt them, but the bike does run rich. The plugs were nicely blackened. Also were the factory carbs Mikuni?

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed May 06, 2015 4:29 am

These look like the Keihin factory carbs.
Your carb number should start VA44 or VB44, right?
In this case stock mains should be 120, idle jets 42.
Anyway, black plugs are normal if you just cruise around the block. Plug colour at real load is what you have to care for.

snead-0

Postby snead-0 » Thu May 07, 2015 4:14 am

I will have to check them out eventually. I am going to buy new carb boots for the intake side, to replace the hard old ones.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu May 07, 2015 4:54 am

If it runs reasonably on all four, engine sounds healthy and electrics works I would go for a test ride.
Then you can feel if all headers get equally hot, have a look at your plugs at load and get an idea of the mpg.
This way you get an estimate if you can just ride it as it is or if it need some more work.
If you want to do something right now, lubrication of throttle/choke/tach/speedo cables is a good idea. Would be a pity to kill them by poor lubrication with that low miles on them. The swing arm has a nipple for grease. Also care for electric cables and contacts. Even if they are no issue now, they certainly will cause trouble later and these things are often annoying. :wink:
I also would at least replace the brake fluid and remove, clean and lubricate the front brake glider bolts. If the brake fluid coming out there looks really bad, one may also consider to open the calipers.

snead-0

Postby snead-0 » Fri May 08, 2015 7:03 pm

I know thatI will need a new tach cable, the one that is on there now is torn on the rubber outer lining of it. I definitely will have to grease the choke and speedo cables though. I think that the choke cable is a little sticky. Other than that though, I can go out right now, hit the starter button and itll fire right up without the choke. Heck, I think that it starts better than my 400EX that is 20 years newer.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue May 12, 2015 1:12 am

Something must be wrong with that CB. :lol:

Return to “Show it off”