Hello All 79 CB650 thinking about going brat.

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

npshurricane

Hello All 79 CB650 thinking about going brat.

Postby npshurricane » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:59 am

So i recently acquired this bike for what i think is a fair deal and pondered on flipping it to make some money. Well i changed my mind and wanna keep it and get it running real good again. I plan on taking air box out and replacing with pods just cause i like the open look. I took the carbs out and cleaned them once and the bike will only run at full choke with throttle. I will admit i did a half rear job cleaning the carbs. I have a rebuild kit on the way to do it right. The gas tank wasnt to rusty on the inside currently hitting it with apple cider vinegar which seems to be cleaning it up alot. Anyone have a suggestion on something even better thats not gonna cost hundreds of dollars?? Over the bike is in pretty good condition and im looking forward to get it running so i can cosmetically work on it.
Last edited by npshurricane on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

npshurricane

Re: Hello All 79 CB650 thinking about going brat.

Postby npshurricane » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:03 am

Oops sorry about that massive resolution.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:14 pm

Welcome here! That looks like the original 1979 front tire on there! Put that high on your list to replace.

You speak of it needing full choke to run. What kind of air filter are you using now?
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

npshurricane

Postby npshurricane » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:19 pm

Yes both the front and rear i believe are the stock tires. Just dont plan on changing the tires until i get it to the point of being able to drive it down the road. When i was trying to start the bike i re installed the original stock air box. I believe there is a piece missing though as between the air box and the little air box that is attached the the carbs there is something like an inch and a half gap. I was trying to use the filter that came with the bike and i also tried with no filter in. Which in turn may have sucked something into the carbs again :cry: . Im going to test compression later today and i believe i read on here it should be around 140 would this be correct? I have ordered new plug wires aswell to change as mine dont look to great. Also it seems the PO had installed a 750 choke as my choke claw lever thing (sorry about lingo) is metal where i see complaints of the 650s having plastic ones. He didnt change any choke up on the handle bars either so the knob is kinda sitting freely and has extra slack i have to pull to choke the bike. Any other suggestions sir!

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:00 pm

I just noticed your location. Where abouts are you? I'm in Tallahassee.

I would pull the carbs off and give them a good proper cleaning. Pull all the jets. If you have access to an ultra-sonic cleaner, that would be best. If not, soak the bank and the jets in pinesol and water overnight, then blow them out with compressed air. Use a fine piece of wire to clear out the holes in your jets. A high E guitar string is perfect for this. Spray brake cleaner (not carb cleaner) through the passages in the carb bodies. Use some kind of metal polish like "Nevrdull" to shine up the float needle seats.

Note: If you soak your bank in pinesol and water, spray them down with WD40 after you pull them out and rinse them. I've seen the aluminum get slightly corroded otherwise.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

npshurricane

Postby npshurricane » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:04 pm

im between panama and pensacola

Return to “Show it off”