My first bike. "Brand new" 1981 CB650

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Kidonaclassicbike

My first bike. "Brand new" 1981 CB650

Postby Kidonaclassicbike » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:30 am

Last edited by Kidonaclassicbike on Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cb650

Re: My first bike. "Brand new" 1981 CB650

Postby cb650 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:20 pm

nice I always liked the blue. what are your plans for it?
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:14 pm

That is a NICE looking bike!

Do you know how to check the date code on your tires? I'm sure you know that--even if the tires look good--you don't want to be riding around on 35+ year old tires.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Kidonaclassicbike

Postby Kidonaclassicbike » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:59 pm

Folsoml wrote:That is a NICE looking bike!

Do you know how to check the date code on your tires? I'm sure you know that--even if the tires look good--you don't want to be riding around on 35+ year old tires.

The plans for the bike are as follows:
Work on it until it runs like new.
Ride the heck out of it.

I like the way the bike looks right now and even If i wanted to do body work, I cant because I don't have a shop or a garage, I will be doing all the work on my patio.

W3310 for the front one. This means Week 33 in 2010 right ? 6 years is not too old ?
W4300 for the back one. Is this Week 43 in 2000 ? That is a little scary.

I fired the bike up a few minutes ago. Doesn't start from the first try, but it starts. It dies at idle even with the choke fully "up", but i think it dies only when its cold, because when the seller dropped it off, it Idled very well.

I took a quick look under the seat, the Igniter modules are brand new, but everything else is stock. The charging system seems fine, because the headlight turns brighter with higher RPM, but I will put the VM on the battery tomorrow and will post Exact measurements when OFF / ON / LOW Rpm / HIGH Rpm.

NOTICED A BIG ISSUE after a few minutes of running. Cylinder #1 is not firing (stone cold header). All the others are so hot I can't touch them.
I have a few socket sets, but none of them got the job done, so i could not take the spark plug out to check and see if its wet or not.
It should be 5/8 right ? (I will create a new Thread in the tech forum about this issue)

Can you point me at a Compression tester that had the right end for my bikes engine ? I don't have one, but would like to buy one.

I really appreciate all input, because this is my first bike and I am very nervous about it. I went through most of the threads on this forum and I have a good idea what needs to be done in most situations, but since I have never done anything on a bike till now I will still need a lot of help. I have done some simple work on my car and I am a computer repair tech, so the electrical part is somewhat familiar.

P.S. I have clymer's manual coming my way.
What does the big black screw under the carburetors do exactly ? I understand its for the Idle but when i rotated it while the bike was cold it did't do much, is it working only when the bike is hot and with the choke in the "Down" position ?

And when the choke is in the ''UP'' position is it OPEN or CLOSED ?

Sorry for the silly questions.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:47 am

plug size depends on brand. champion went to 5/8s but ngk is 18mm The original plug tool workes best for the ngks Better than a 5/8 socket even.
The big black knob is the idle speed. it should change. One thing to do especially on the charging circuit is clean all the connections. choke is closed with the knob pulled out.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Kidonaclassicbike

Postby Kidonaclassicbike » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:21 am

Managed to get the plug out. I have the 18mm NGK DR7ES. It had gas all over it, so it should not be a carb issue.

I created a new thread in the tech forum:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13378

Return to “Show it off”