New to forum, new to Nighthawks. Howdy...

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Dads Toy

Re: New to forum, new to Nighthawks. Howdy...

Postby Dads Toy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:11 pm

You never know what you get when you buy an old bike. With mine bike sitting for so long I put about 5cc of Marvels Mystery oil straight into the cylinders. I let it sit over a whole day. What this does is gets oil on the rings. Helps free them up because they get stuck on the piston and can't seat to the cylinder walls.
Since you have time and what to learn about bikes. I would pull the motor. Order a replacement set of main crank bearings and piston rod bearings. Pull the head, get new head gasket and check the piston ring clearances. IT the piston walls look good just bolt it all back together and should be good to go. You'll have about $200 or less in parts. Or if you are looking for more speed you could bore the cylinders and get bigger pistons. Check these guys out, http://www.cyclexchange.net/Engine%20Parts%20Page.htm
Watch this guys videos. Better than the factory assembly videos. Watch his series of video rebuilding this CB750C. Be about the same process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-CsqUiatKk

Dads Toy

Postby Dads Toy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:15 pm

I watch you video from the PO. TO me it sounds like a broken valve spring or it could be a broken valve. You need to crack the head or at least take the valve covers off.

pdxkevy

Postby pdxkevy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:16 am

Thanks Dads toy. The engine will be liberated today or tomorrow depending on when I can grab an extra body to spot me. Believe me if it's something top end I would be pleased as hell. But, i'm not betting on it. On the plus side, I have a line on an engine that is said to only have 4k miles on it. Won't have a chance to look at ti till next week though as the guy is out of town on work. That would be kind of awesome. In the mean time I will start to go over this one. Time to put on my CSI hat. Oh, and thanks for the links, helpful stuff....
Attachments
Day1_2.0_extrasmall.jpg
Day1_2.0_extrasmall.jpg (357.86 KiB) Viewed 13789 times

Dads Toy

Postby Dads Toy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:37 pm

Looks like you got some progress. Easy way I have seen the engine removed. Strip it down as far as you can. Even remove the tires. Then get you a furniture dolly from Harbor Freight or a piece of plywood. Lay it beside the bike. Carefully lay it on its side on the dolly. Unbolt it and left the frame off. The frame doesn't weigh that much for one person to left. Beats trying to man handle it out of the frame. Good luck with the project. Be a nice ride once its done.

Return to “Show it off”