New to forum, new to Nighthawks. Howdy...

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

pdxkevy

New to forum, new to Nighthawks. Howdy...

Postby pdxkevy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:21 am

Hey all, just picked up my first Nighthawk yesterday. 1984 CB650 SC Got her for $400. Looks like everything is there for the most part. Somebody has definitely had the valve cover off cause the gasket is jacked and there's a bunch of RTV or silicone all over it. When I picked it up there was just enough juice in the battery to light up the electricals for a couple seconds. Lights and gauges all lit up but hen faded out. Batteries on the trickle charger, seems pretty new but was dead as could be. Oils been drained which was kind of disappointing. Would have liked to see what was in it. Needs random things like new turn signals and such. I work on weekends so i'll have to wait till Monday to really get a good look inside.
I recently finished my first ever resto on my 1963 CA95 Benly and was looking for something a little more challenging. I guess I found it :D I'm self teaching as I go but in no rush. Could be an easy goer or may take an rebuild we shall see when I get the battery on her and the tank hooked up. So, prepare yourselves for the inevitable barrage of questions and requests for advice. Maybe together we can get this girl back to her former glory, Thanks for letting me participate in your community...
Here's a pic of my new baby fresh off the trailer yesterday,.
And a pic of the CA95 I fixed up just for fun..
Attachments
Nighthawk.jpg
84 CB650 Sc My new baby
Nighthawk.jpg (2.56 MiB) Viewed 16096 times
bags.jpg
63 CA95 Benly
bags.jpg (2.43 MiB) Viewed 16096 times

GeorgeSweety

Re: New to forum, new to Nighthawks. Howdy...

Postby GeorgeSweety » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:25 am

Hi pd and welcome :D I love your old Honda, very nice indeed and your Nighthawk looks pretty good for what you paid. I'm sure that there will be people that can offer you some advice on here but this site is mainly for the SOHC engines, DOHC's are a bit too technically advanced for the likes of me, but that's because I've never actually owned one yet :roll:

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:38 am

George is correct. This forum is geared toward the earlier, non-Nighthawk, Cb650's. But the only reason for this is because most of the people here have those bikes. There is no reason you can't ask questions or post techniques here. You could be the person who boldly takes us into the DOHC Nighthawks!

One of the first things I would do with this bike is take the oil pan off. Under there you will find the oil strainer. It is an upside down funnel with a screen over the large end. You will most likely find chunks of RTV silicone stuck all in the screen. Clean all that out before you do anything else. When you get the bike running, plan on draining the oil and checking this screen again. Do this after just a little bit of engine running time. If you find more RTV in the screen, repeat the process. You can reuse the same oil, I would just strain it through something like a paint strainer before putting it back in the engine.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

pdxkevy

Postby pdxkevy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:40 am

Thanks for the the input guys, i appreciate you taking the time to respond. I will most certainly continue to search this forum for info that is relevant to my Nighthawk. That being said, as you mentioned this forum is more SOHC centric and I certainly would hate to barrage yall with questions that may or may not be of interest. Does anyone have any leads on a forum more specific to the DOHC Nighthawks? I'm kind of having trouble finding a good one. Thanks again.

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:32 am

This is the best Nighthawk site that I could find. http://paulsnighthawkpages.blogspot.co.uk/

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 am

Folsoml wrote:You will most likely find chunks of RTV silicone stuck all in the screen. Clean all that out before you do anything else.

Folsoml, you mean like this :lol:
nighthawk today 010.JPG
nighthawk today 010.JPG (187.99 KiB) Viewed 16078 times

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:16 pm

That's the stuff!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

pdxkevy

Postby pdxkevy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:41 pm

I'll tell you what..That oil pan does not want to come off. 14 bolts out double and triple checked. That baby is teeeeeight. Been working on it with a rubber mallet for about a half hour and hasn't budged a micrometer. Any suggestions...

pdxkevy

Postby pdxkevy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:53 pm

Once i get the pan off i feel like I'll be happy if I just find a bunch of RTV. It's metal shavings i'm more worried about :)

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:25 am

pdxkevy wrote: Been working on it with a rubber mallet for about a half hour

That's what I would suggest. Maybe try a steel hammer and a piece of wood (like a 2X2 or something).

Maybe some heat? Heat gun or propane torch?

pdxkevy

Postby pdxkevy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:58 am

hmm heat gun. didn't think of that. Gonna have to drag her outside wouldn't want to set of a smoke alarm. Thanks

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:24 am

Wow! Still not off yet? That sucker is stuck! Who knows what the PO did to it.

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:17 pm

Probably a really dumb question but are you sure that you have undone every single bolt? I can assure you that I have done far dumber :lol: even more dumberer :lol: :lol: There should be 14 according to this...
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... er-oil-pan

OK, just re-read your post, if you've got them all then it is going to have to be brute force, as Folsoml said, a decent piece of wood in the right place and a hammer :roll: that has got to be seriously tightly on!

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:20 pm

I've been racking my brains about a bike that I really had trouble with removing the oil sump, I thought it was a Kawasaki but as I sit down and think about it, it was actually my SOHC Nighthawk when I removed the sump, I did resort to the hammer and wood method. As I recall, it was an absolute PITA to remove and when I finally got it off I noticed that there was some kind of factory applied "glue/sealant" that held really, really tight. I think that I applied a side wise thump with the hammer and wood to finally crack the bond.

pdxkevy

Postby pdxkevy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:44 pm

Well she's off. Slept on it went to work, came home and went with the 2x2,5# hammer method. The screen looked pretty good surprisingly..
20180303_171503.jpg
20180303_171503.jpg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 16055 times

That's where the good news ends :( In the pan I found the following...Quarter for scale..
20180303_172810.jpg
20180303_172810.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 16055 times

Looks like a run away washer and some very fine metal shavings (all magnetic) PO said he had a pretty bad ticking last time he started it. Starting to think it's probably a spun bearing. This makes me very sad.
What would yall say I should do next. Is it worth putting her all back together and seeing how she sounds. Or am I pretty much screwed on this one.

Return to “Show it off”