Spare Change Project First Bike

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Dads Toy

Re: Spare Change Project First Bike

Postby Dads Toy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:00 pm

:lol: :D I know...the front tire is about the same. It is more in the tread groves. What it the pisser is the tires have a lot of tread on them. If it wasn't for the cracks the tires would be good to go. Anyone know where you can buy a cheap set of tires?

Carb spray is the killer. But it can fix some rubber parts that have gotten hard. Like the accelerator pump rubber was a little hard. I soak it in a little carb cleaner and soften it up nicely.

michael_650

Postby michael_650 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:51 am

Visual inspection can be a good defense when it comes to tires but what you don't see is how they've hardened and will not grip the road when turning or braking, or how brittle they have become and will shatter on the first big bump you get to. Tires are the ONLY thing between you and the road. Invest in a new pair, it's worth it. Aren't YOU worth it? :D ;) Even those little "just going around the neighborhood" trips, the neighbor's dog runs out, the kids chase a ball, that excited teenager backs out without looking, ... you need every bit of grip on the ground you can get.

Dads Toy

Postby Dads Toy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:29 pm

michael_650 wrote:Visual inspection can be a good defense when it comes to tires but what you don't see is how they've hardened and will not grip the road when turning or braking, or how brittle they have become and will shatter on the first big bump you get to. Tires are the ONLY thing between you and the road. Invest in a new pair, it's worth it. Aren't YOU worth it? :D ;) Even those little "just going around the neighborhood" trips, the neighbor's dog runs out, the kids chase a ball, that excited teenager backs out without looking, ... you need every bit of grip on the ground you can get.

Very will said. And is a very important one I might add when looking at buying a used bike or even a car. Always check what I call the Born on Date. Or better known as the DOT date. This is the date the tire was first made. Anything more than 5 years you need to replace it. I knew the tires where bad going into this project. I am just over excited about getting this bike on the road, being its my first bike. And I don't have much time left. Its park now I know it runs and drive great. I have to raise some more funds before I can get a set of tires. I did find a set on ebay at a reasonable price. So hope the money tree will rain down on me. I even setup a gofundme page in hopes some rich dude will grant me my dying wish to complete this bike before I lose my eye sight. I knew the tires would be my biggest expense for this project. You have to remember the reason and the start of this project. All parts so far, including the bike was paid for with loose change. So I am trying not to dip into the family funds to get the tires.

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:53 am

DT, did I read that correctly,you are losing your sight? If that is the case then I feel bad for you, you seem to have a positive attitude to your situation and you get my respect. I have some spare tires but you will have to collect them :lol: :lol:

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:38 pm

Where are you located, DT?
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Dads Toy

Postby Dads Toy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:17 pm

Folsoml wrote:Where are you located, DT?

I am in South Carolina.
Yes you heard right. I have already lost about 30-40%. Just had surgery not to long ago to remove pressure on my eye. Gave me about 3-5 years. Don't know when or how long, but things will go dark one day. If that's not enough I have to have foot surgery on my left foot. Trying to get my big toe fix from an injury while in the Marines. Joint replacement. So I am hoping I can get this built before then. Trying to come up with a home made heal-toe shift lever. Or Might have to sell it to get an automatic. But I think keeping it will be good therapy and give me something to do while the foot heals.

Enough of the drama. I did manage to find a set of tires at a really good price. So hoping for my wind fall check to come in the mail soon so I can get them. Be one step closer to getting it road ready. With the 0-rings coming off the chain I think it would be best to replace the chain when I do the tires. The goal is to get it on the road and ride it one season. Then maybe during the winter months do a total frame off rebuild. Can't wait. 8)

Oh my wife still wants me to get rid of it. :lol:

Dads Toy

Gas tank Petcock

Postby Dads Toy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:54 pm

Does anyone know where I can get an aftermarket gas tank petcock cheap? If anyone knows an alternative to the original petcock please post a link to it. My old one is leaking and don't know why. Wasn't before I started working on replacing the fuel filter. I order one but it didn't fit after the description said it would. Plus I measured mine before to make sure it would.
The original almost cost as much as I paid for the bike, $56. :shock: Would like to replace it with an original, but darn they are pricey. I could buy a tire for what this cost.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:15 am

Note that--should you go shopping for a new one--not all CB650 gas tanks have the same size petcock. Your bike, the 1981, was the only year to use this size. Fortunately, the same petcock (16950-461-771) was used on the 1981 CB650, CB650C, CB750C, and CB900C, so you can include those models in your search.

They were not originally designed to be repaired, but you can do it. Here are some instructions. This is for a different bike, but the process you have to follow is the same.

genesound wrote:I repaired my CB1100F petcock today. I just drilled out the rivets for 4-40 hardware, and left the old edges of the hole to act as a locator for the plate.

Then I trimmed off the frayed pieces from the valve washer and flipped it over. The surface is good on the other side. I filled in the missing material on the valve washer with epoxy, but that probably wasn't even necessary. The important thing is that in the off position I can no longer blow air from the tank outlet through the valve, but in the main or reserve position it flows properly.

Click pic

ImageImageImage
Click pics

I also used an EZ Out to remove the screen in the tank so it didn't get damaged. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joaXLyun ... tube_gdata

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Dads Toy

Postby Dads Toy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:33 am

Might have to give it a try. I think mine is leaking more from the center where the nut connects. Wonder if there is supposed to be a washer or something that meets up with the tank outlet.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:42 am

I've got good news! That's an easy fix. You can simply cut a new gasket out of whatever material you have at hand. I have old bicycle inner tubes that I keep around just for such a purpose. If you do not have something like this, you can literally cut one out of a cardboard cereal box.

Dads Toy

Postby Dads Toy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:48 pm

Folsoml wrote:I've got good news! That's an easy fix. You can simply cut a new gasket out of whatever material you have at hand. I have old bicycle inner tubes that I keep around just for such a purpose. If you do not have something like this, you can literally cut one out of a cardboard cereal box.

You the Man!! Thanks. I took the opportunity to flush the tank. Smart / bad idea. But it had a lot of stuff that was coming out of the tank. I always add a little of Marvels Mystery oil in with the gas. It could be breaking up some crap in the tank. Bought a new fuel line. That seem to help a lot. New fuel filter is in play now. Runs great. Still need to replace the freaking tires. That is about the last thing I need to replace, but maybe the chain. Thinking about replacing the front wheel bearings. Just don't know what condition they are in until after taking the wheel off to do the tire. By the time I get done this will be like a new bike.
Seat cover is bad. So I use this over size towel to set on. It looks good on the bike. Was thinking about warping the seat with it. Saw a video on how to do it and found the leather material at WalMart for about $7 per yard. Daughter has a sewing machine so some custom ideas are going through my head.

Dads Toy

Postby Dads Toy » Tue May 01, 2018 7:37 pm

I know its been awhile. Been busy selling our house.
I manage to get new tires on the bike. Great deal on a set of Kenda. I was impress with myself to getting the old ones off and the new ones mounted. I just used what I had here in the shop. I couldn't get the back tire balance right for some reason. But the local dealership hook me up and got it balance.
Also installed a new chain 530x104L was the right one. Ya me :D Lube it up with new lube. I have to say that is one sticky stuff. Also install new back brakes. Bike looks good and runs great. Last on the list is a new seat cover. But ran out of Spare Change. So a towel will have to do until get the funds for this project.
Oh and finally got it registered with the DMV. So she has a new Tag! And to top it off, Insurance! Can't believe how cheep it was. Getting fresh gas for her tomorrow.
New helmet DOT/ECS approved will be deliver on Thursday. Just need a jacket and IAM A CRUISING 8) Oh can't believe I made it this far. I will hit the neighborhood a few times. Practice some skills and might even venture out on the open road. Can't wait. 8)
20180424_200620.jpg
Use the tie wrap method to get the tires on and off. Plus a lot of soapy water
20180424_200620.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 17741 times
20180501_185918.jpg
20180501_185918.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 17741 times
Attachments
20180501_185929.jpg
20180501_185929.jpg (951.54 KiB) Viewed 17741 times
Last edited by Dads Toy on Thu May 03, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dads Toy

Postby Dads Toy » Tue May 01, 2018 7:39 pm

Look at all the o-rings from the chain.
20180422_192940.jpg
Side chain cover.
20180422_192940.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 17741 times
20180422_192950.jpg
20180422_192950.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 17741 times
20180422_195106.jpg
Old brake pads just fell off.
20180422_195106.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 17741 times

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed May 02, 2018 7:24 am

Great!

Dads Toy

Postby Dads Toy » Thu May 03, 2018 7:06 pm

With new helmet and tag I finally hit the real open road (oh of course insurance). Was it scary and fun at the same time. So much to think about when you are riding. I think I had the white knuckle death grip at first...haha :P But people in this town don't respect motorcycles and they ride your butt. :evil:
I still have one problem. It stumbles under a load and you have to down shift pretty far for it to get over the stumble. Does it from a stop 1st and 2nd. Wonder is syncing the carbs will help.
Stupid petcock is leaking again in the center. I just need to buy another one. But darn the original Honda part is expensive. Smells up the garage and pisses the wife off cause it comes into the house some. Really need to find a fix. I tried the cereal box top gasket deal.

But hey over all its a blast to ride. New tires make a world of difference. There was one time I got caught up in the moment and forgot to brake. Just wanted to go. Love the Scorpion EXO-220 helmet. Nice and quite with the shield down. Sun visor was cool. If I get rid of the bike I'll keep the helmet for sure.

Can't believe I took something that was setting out in a field of grass then stored in a barn for 5 years and got it running. Never work on a motorcycle before. All using spare change I had. Too Cool 8) :D

Return to “Show it off”