My new bike, any comments or advise appriciated

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

My new bike, any comments or advise appriciated

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:11 pm

Hello all. I've recently (2 weeks ago) purchased a Honda CB650c. I was quite hesitant on this as I am a Volkswagen man and therefor have some qualms about Honda. However I was told that Honda cars and Honda bikes are two completely different things and that actually Honda bikes are pretty much the best ones on the road.

Anyway, I'm VERY Happy with it! Its a 1980 with the DOH can 16 valve, pointless ignition and way too many carburators. Here inlies my problem. Carburators are the bane of my existance. I love my fuel injection and have no clue about carbs (well...I have a little clue). Right now all cylinders are running rich. I read the thread below about adjusting 1/8 - 1/16 turn on each counterclockwise and running and checking and will do so but thought I'd bring up the issue as, well thats what we do here in forums.

So are there any issues besides gummed up carbs, bad filters and broken head gaskets I should be worried about?

I suppose I should give you a history.

1980 Honda cb650c
9800 miles on original engine
new gas tank and cluster (previous owner dropped bike)
JUST had complete service including carb teardown and clean
being driven in Washington

oh yea and I want the classic look with lots of chrome and leather. I appreciate alot of power but for now (this being my very first bike) I think I should just focus on getting it running perfectly and to stock specs until I'm a little more experienced.

So here are some pictures for those of you who wasted your time reading all of that.

Thats my Mom on the right. She was so excited. Told me I had to come over and take pictures with her. She also just purchased that bike about a month before I did.

Oh yes and my volkswagen...just because I love it so much.

1980 VW Rabbit. 1.8l 8v. Fuel injected. 92hp at the wheels.

DammitDan

Postby DammitDan » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:54 pm

Ahh, the vistas of Washington. Your bike is very clean and pretty man.

But your bike is an 8 valve SOHC (DOHCs weren't produced until '83 on the CB650s) . And remember to sync the carbs after the rebuild! Overall, the CB650 is a tough little street bike. You've got a winner there :D

Oh yeah, and remember to sign in before you post! :(

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:41 pm

Clean 650 you picked up there. And from the picture of your VW I can see you have an eye for older rides. Nice. As for the carbs on the 650 (or any of the inline 4 SOHC Hondas), the 4 carbs are the biggest pain in the ass and the the best feature of at the same time. Once you get the carbs all firing the same and not too lean or rich, it's like a different bike. We'll help you get there. :)
'99 1500 Drifter

nickjtc

Postby nickjtc » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:27 pm

Welcome. Used to be a VW fan myself ('69 Squareback station wagon, '69 Beetle, '83 Rabbit convert, '92 Golf, over the years).

Make sure that you get a workshop manual, and have at it. You will not be disappointed with the bike.
.....to be myself, a pattern for others.

1979 CB650
1971 Norton Commando
1968 CB175

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:44 pm

Welcome. And that 650 looks very clean. :)

Btw, is your mother riding a CM400?

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:42 pm

Welcome. That's a great looking bike. Is that a 4-1 or 4-2 exhaust? Either way, I don't think it's stock. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure all 1980 CB650c's came with 4-4 exhaust. You'll need to know that if you get into jetting the carbs. Man, that's a beautiful bike... looks good in red.
1980 CB650c

frankinstyn

Postby frankinstyn » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:41 pm

Oh. Sorry about that. That was me that posted this. So yea, then 8 valve then? Allright. I bought the shop manual first thing and just had the complete service done (think I mentioned that). Unfortunately they didn't have an air filter in stock and couldn't get one in a timely fasion or for a decent price so I ordered one online myself. Just got it and installed a couple days ago actually.

Right now its getting 50+ miles to the gallon (havn't gone through a tank yet after the filter but at least 49mpg). I'm going in on Tuesday for the new tires and to complete the dyno (I'll post charts if you'all want to see) and fuel/air ratio adjustment.

As far as I know the carbs are already sycronized but are just all rich as the old filter was soaked in fuel and the air box had a quart of fuel in the bottom of it (someone left the petcock open for a long time).

If the shop doesn't do a good job tuning then I'll finish the job myself.

The exhaust is stock 4-2. Actually, everything on this bike is stock except the tank, cluster, and side panels.

I wouldn't mind doing some modifications to get a little more response and power but again, that'll have to wait.
Is the above comment is complete idiotic or ignorant please attribute it to the alchohol.

Volker_P

Re: My new bike, any comments or advise appriciated

Postby Volker_P » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:39 am

Welcome here!
Really in a good shape and quite low mileage. And spokes wheels! I think you can have fun with it for a long time. In addition to what you already have done, you could check the gliding bolts of the front brake for being free (in case it is the same construction as the double disc brake). Also lubricate the cables and the tachometer and speedometer worms and also do not forget the grease nipple for the rear swingarm bearings.
The CB650 engine is quite fine and reliable, however (at least the C-models) chassis is quite old-fashioned. It will not just follow the handlebars in narrow corners like a bicycle but you need to use the weight of your body to get it around with some nonzero speed. Well, as it is your first bike, you will consider that as being normal (as I did also some years ago :lol: ). Just be aware that others can go much faster in corners without being necessarily much better riders. As a beginner, do not try to keep up to anybody on an actual bike as you usually have a severe chassis disadvantage.

I also woud think stock would have 4-4 exhaust, but the single front disc spokes wheel model might be different. I am also surprised that it does not have the rear shock spring cover. And also the mirrors look suspicious.
As you asked: the head gasket (or better 2 small O-rings at this level, engine will not loose compression) will start to leak oil at about 25000 miles, or maybe earlier as they are 26 years old. But this is nothing to worry about now. When it is time it is also no big issue, you can do it with the engine in the frame.

I would guess the small blue bike on the photo looks like a CM185T. I would guess one could get at least 10km/h more topspeed just by removing that huge windshield. :D

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:53 am

50mpg seems about right. That is the average I'm getting too.

frankinstyn

Postby frankinstyn » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:05 am

Volker_P wrote:Welcome here!
Really in a good shape and quite low mileage. And spokes wheels! I think you can have fun with it for a long time. In addition to what you already have done, you could check the gliding bolts of the front brake for being free (in case it is the same construction as the double disc brake). Also lubricate the cables and the tachometer and speedometer worms and also do not forget the grease nipple for the rear swingarm bearings.
The CB650 engine is quite fine and reliable, however (at least the C-models) chassis is quite old-fashioned. It will not just follow the handlebars in narrow corners like a bicycle but you need to use the weight of your body to get it around with some nonzero speed. Well, as it is your first bike, you will consider that as being normal (as I did also some years ago :lol: ). Just be aware that others can go much faster in corners without being necessarily much better riders. As a beginner, do not try to keep up to anybody on an actual bike as you usually have a severe chassis disadvantage.

I also woud think stock would have 4-4 exhaust, but the single front disc spokes wheel model might be different. I am also surprised that it does not have the rear shock spring cover. And also the mirrors look suspicious.
As you asked: the head gasket (or better 2 small O-rings at this level, engine will not loose compression) will start to leak oil at about 25000 miles, or maybe earlier as they are 26 years old. But this is nothing to worry about now. When it is time it is also no big issue, you can do it with the engine in the frame.

I would guess the small blue bike on the photo looks like a CM185T. I would guess one could get at least 10km/h more topspeed just by removing that huge windshield. :D

Wow, now thats some good information. Thanks. I did notice it has a hard time turning around corners as compared to both the bike I learned on and my Mom's bike. It seems ok though. just means I have to really lean into them.
Is the above comment is complete idiotic or ignorant please attribute it to the alchohol.

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:23 am

Volker_P wrote: do not try to keep up to anybody on an actual bike as you usually have a severe chassis disadvantage.

I can vouch for that statement. Funny thing, compared to the 1500cc cruiser I have, the cb650 seems nimble and responsive in the turns. :shock: I guess it's all relative.
'99 1500 Drifter

DammitDan

Postby DammitDan » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:07 pm

I also average around 45mpg around 50-60mph (and I'm running one size rich on the mains... I guess I should go ahead and fix that). And you know, now that I think about it that's probably why I'm only getting 30-35mpg on the interstate cruising 75-80mph. Guess I really should get around to fixing the mixture!

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:46 am

frankinstyn wrote: just means I have to really lean into them.

Yes, but be sure your throttle response is reliable or install engine protectors. :wink:
Don't try hang off but press the bike a bit, I found that provides more stability and some reserve in case you hit the ground with the footpegs. Welding missing material on the footpegs became something like a maintenance job for me. :D
By the low possible banking angle there stays enough reserve for the tyres to use the front brake in corners effectively. Its often a good option if you recognice a bump too late. Bumps in corners will result in main stand ground contact, which is not really dangerous but should be avoided anyway. Rear brake tends to get blocked easily, you often won't even recognice it until you release it again. Then you will need some street width for corrections. Keep that in mind, no need you learn it the hard way, too.

Vatch wrote: Funny thing, compared to the 1500cc cruiser I have, the cb650 seems nimble and responsive in the turns. I guess it's all relative.

You are right. Compared to an oil tanker, I bet you will find your cruiser quite agile. :P

DammitDan wrote: Guess I really should get around to fixing the mixture!

I agree there is probably some room for improvement but keep an eye on your spark plugs. Too rich costs fuel and power, but too lean may damage the engine. Make sure that your (exhaust) valve clearance is not too low when trying out mixture modifications.

frankinstyn

Postby frankinstyn » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:52 am

Volker_P wrote:
frankinstyn wrote: just means I have to really lean into them.

Yes, but be sure your throttle response is reliable or install engine protectors. :wink:
Don't try hang off but press the bike a bit, I found that provides more stability and some reserve in case you hit the ground with the footpegs. Welding missing material on the footpegs became something like a maintenance job for me. :D
By the low possible banking angle there stays enough reserve for the tyres to use the front brake in corners effectively. Its often a good option if you recognice a bump too late. Bumps in corners will result in main stand ground contact, which is not really dangerous but should be avoided anyway. Rear brake tends to get blocked easily, you often won't even recognice it until you release it again. Then you will need some street width for corrections. Keep that in mind, no need you learn it the hard way, too.

Oddly enough, the throttle response is fantastic and smooth. It wasn't before the carbs were cleaned but now it almost perfect.

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:12 pm

Volker_P wrote:
Vatch wrote: Funny thing, compared to the 1500cc cruiser I have, the cb650 seems nimble and responsive in the turns. I guess it's all relative.

You are right. Compared to an oil tanker, I bet you will find your cruiser quite agile. :P

Careful. You will hurt the Road Zeppelin's feelings.
'99 1500 Drifter

Return to “Show it off”