new owner

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Volker_P

Re: new owner

Postby Volker_P » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:02 am

Thanks Phil,
I hoped a bit there is a shortcut to splashing around with solvents and additinal extensive manual work at the narrow locations. Well, so I will read a bit background info to do that at least the right way and try to find time. I got a spray-gun for my compressor at the weekend. It looks quite professional (as far as I can judge that), however the paint container is missing.
Maybe I should try with something more easy like the lawn-mower engine first. 8)

pae

Re: new owner

Postby pae » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:22 am

Volker_P wrote:Thanks Phil,
I hoped a bit there is a shortcut to splashing around with solvents and additinal extensive manual work at the narrow locations. Well, so I will read a bit background info to do that at least the right way and try to find time. I got a spray-gun for my compressor at the weekend. It looks quite professional (as far as I can judge that), however the paint container is missing.
Maybe I should try with something more easy like the lawn-mower engine first. 8)

that's an excellent thought to try it out.

regards, Phil

pae

Postby pae » Sat May 05, 2007 5:14 pm

Further progress, engine (less head) is back in the frame now. Wow, it's easy to fit an engine when the cylinder head is off...

Phil

Pinhead

Postby Pinhead » Sat May 05, 2007 6:05 pm

It's amazing what a little cleaning and paint can do to the look of a bike!

Since you've got it all torn apart, could you take some detailed pictures of the cylinder head? Specifically the combustion chamber, intake and exhaust ports, and the valve bowls?

I'm trying to see how much material is available to shave the head for slightly higher compression. Also, is there any way you can find out how thick the piston crown is? I need to know how deep of valve pockets I can cut...

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun May 06, 2007 12:48 am

Man, that's gonna be one beautiful bike when you get done! Great work so far.
1980 CB650c

pae

Postby pae » Sun May 06, 2007 3:27 am

Pinhead wrote:It's amazing what a little cleaning and paint can do to the look of a bike!

Since you've got it all torn apart, could you take some detailed pictures of the cylinder head? Specifically the combustion chamber, intake and exhaust ports, and the valve bowls?

I'm trying to see how much material is available to shave the head for slightly higher compression. Also, is there any way you can find out how thick the piston crown is? I need to know how deep of valve pockets I can cut...

Will do, no problem. Can't do the pistons as I don't plan to take the barrels off, but yes, I'll get you plenty of shots of the top end. Any specific measurements you need just ask. Part of the reason I'm documenting this is to help others out - I know how valuable it's been to me in the past.

regards, Phil

Pinhead

Postby Pinhead » Sun May 06, 2007 3:35 am

Could you cc the chamber and measure the head gasket thickness?

How much do you suppose can be shaved off the head to raise the compression?

pae

Postby pae » Tue May 08, 2007 6:07 am

Hi Pinhead, I've started a new topic so we can waffle on about combustion chambers at our leisure. The first bit of rough data is already there...

http://www.hondacb650.com/viewtopic.php?t=264

regards, Phil

Pinhead

Postby Pinhead » Tue May 08, 2007 11:41 am

pae wrote:Hi Pinhead, I've started a new topic so we can waffle on about combustion chambers at our leisure. The first bit of rough data is already there...

http://www.hondacb650.com/viewtopic.php?t=264

regards, Phil

THANKS!! :)

grimz

yeah !!!!!!!!!

Postby grimz » Wed May 23, 2007 1:16 am

hey my name is grim or joe for short. bought an 1980 bout 2 weeks ago off a guy in hamilton ontario he said it was his ol lady'suntil she bought a new vstar at the fall bike show in toronto.
this is my first bike im going to be workin on,and if all go's smooth,and im sure it wont,this will be my wifes first bike.
ive been tossing around ideas and lookin at some very sick and crazy bikes out there.
this is ging to be rebuilt from the frame up in the winter scince i just want to enjoy it now while i can,ive noticed a couple little things and one thing that isnt so little.
not so little,theres oil leakin, up high somewhere havnt figured out where just by lookin, dude said a bolt was either loose or broke..?..i cant see broken and nothin seems loose,there anyway.im thinkin the seals might be old maybe .
the battery was bone dry so im not sure how he started it when i was buyin it but it fired.not when i got home.
took the bat in to a place called cycle werx on dundas in toronto.thnx guys ,tom the mech is awsome!!!!!!they filled my bat and charged it overnite at no cost.
(they ride too)lol
it fired when i plugged er on,only once and it died.old bat.bought a new one today because i got tired of boosting it off the van just to go rip round and see how it runs,and ended up last nite walkin it down the side walk a few blocks home.lol.was kinda fun too.
fires up fine the few times i tried today.nervous that something might be draining power and it wont start in the morn just because ive read a few things about the power issues on these bikes.hopefully thats just me being paranoid.lol.ill post something in the morning if it dosnt go..... 8)
gas cap rattles but dosnt com off so its kinda noisy going down the allyway behind my house,but so its more or less just annoying
the speedo face is split and the first 60 km is just bouncing in the case, so i dont really know how fast im going
also the brake fluid reservoir isnt to healthy lookinits lookin a bit corroded on the outside ,so im definatley lookin for one of those,
there was a set of chrome and gold honda foot pegs mounted on the engine guard kinda like highway pegs but not so comfy there
took those off and placed em as the passenger footpegs.looks a bit better and she says it feels more steady
took off the big windscreen because i like it as open lookin as possible,although i kinda like the small round racin style one on DAMMIT DANS
the chrome isnt too bad at all and its got spoke wheels,the seat isnt torn or anything, so im lucky there i think
anyways im stoked and glad i found this forum ,u guys who seem to know enuff and yur links have helped already,
cheers !!!!!!!

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed May 23, 2007 11:28 pm

Welcome, Joe.
1980 CB650c

grimz

interesting thing happened today

Postby grimz » Thu May 24, 2007 7:58 pm

woke up n decided i shouldnt be messin roun on the street until i got a plate on it .....took it in to get saftied...had a feeling tom (boss guy at cycle werx)was gonna say somethin about my back tire..yeah ok so i orderd a new rear rubber,cool,
not so cool, i was only firing one piston.ouch.
so this is after i show up and ask them to borrow there ramp which is cool and ive just kinda said here man heres my bike, and i know that u cant be workin on all these other bikes already here so can u help me man i wanna ride.
tom kinda laughs and says no problem.im thinkin i know why hes the boss.checks it out with the laser on the pipes n says 2 3 4 aint firing,tells me if i can find em in the box start diggin and there mine for nuthin, 3 plugs that fire.lolol
lets me use his sparker renchs,and i swap em.
awsome ...i started it up and it sounded soooo kick ass i wanted to jump on right away smokin and all.
now it sounds a helluva alot better,what caused it....?besides shitty plugs n how did they get shity,the oil leakin out the side,down into the sparkler holes?
cant decide if i should order gasket set now so im prepared if the worst does happen and i need to rebuild or jsut hang in and ride while i still got season thats good,mind ya ill be ridin in the snow
rrrrrrrrrrr,,my tire will be on by toomorow nite,thats cool,the plate..lol...not so sure bout that scince its friday tommorow.
explain that to the cop ...yeah officer i just couldnt wait anymore ,,yeas i know im suppose to be insured too..and i kinda figured scince i didnt have a plate i shouldnt worry about the sticker for it.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri May 25, 2007 3:38 am

Welcome here :D
your oil leak above the plugs is most probably from one (or more) of these six(?) coin-like rubber seals that cover the cylinder head bolts access holes. So if your lucky, nothing is really damaged. If you buy a gasket set, make sure these rubber coins are included. To avoid extra work, you should also have a look at the cylinder head. This is a typical weak point of the CB650 engine. There is a small O-Ring in the head gasket that starts to leak about all 30tkm.
There are some contributions on head gasket replacement written in this forum anfd they are worth reading when you try it for the first time. Basically it is important to use a small enough torque wrench for the head cover bolts as well as for the head bolts as the threads are easily damaged.
Keep an eye on your spark plugs and occasionally check whether an exhaust pipe stays cold when it seems to run weak.

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Fri May 25, 2007 4:16 pm

Welcome to the forum Joe. :)

When you buy a gasket set I would recommend the one from David Silver Spares. They will ship worldwide and they are fast. I used that set two years ago and the top end hasn't leaked one drop of oil since.

grimz

thnx

Postby grimz » Sun May 27, 2007 12:18 pm

i was figuring the rubber grommits wa sthe issue too.
plugs were filthy,lol, really filthy
i should be on the road on monday though finally.
rear rubber looks good,even though i only put a kenda rubber on it,bit cheaper than the bridgestone or marshmellow man,but im sure it will do the trick for now,rated at 130mph and if i can get this beast goin that fast ill prolly test the rubber out the hard way.lol
thnx for your guys welcomes here.very cool.
looked at the old bike barn for gasket sets theres in runnin about 160.00cdn before the taxes for a complete set upper engine bottom engine ,rings,everything .
is that a good price?
cheers on the cold pipe info,will help me with figurin out which plug isnt firing without takin it in.

Return to “Show it off”