'80 Custom

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

JohnnyCB

'80 Custom

Postby JohnnyCB » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:30 pm

Here's my CB650C that I bought for 80 bux some years back. It was complete but a lot of the parts were in boxes. I put it back together a couple of years ago and I've been working on it and riding it a bit here and there since. Lately, I have been riding it more and doing some more mods to get it the way I like it. :mrgreen:

Here's a list of some of the things I've done:

Short-stalk turn signals
Aftermarket headlight ears
"Superbike" bars
Bar-end mirrors
CB550 fork tubes slid up about 1.25" in the triples
11" rear shocks
Bridgestone spitfire tires
Pod filters
Shorty glasspacks on the original 4-4 pipes

I haven't got the jetting down yet, but I saw on here a member that said 120's & 42's worked good for him so I might try that. It sits pretty low now so I have to watch my left turns; the sidestand stopper grinds on the pavement if I'm not carefull.

Here's a pic from my cell phone:
Attachments
cb.jpg
cb.jpg (95.25 KiB) Viewed 8513 times
80 Cb650c -current running ridable(mostly) project
74 Cb200t -future project, in storage

Volker_P

Re: '80 Custom

Postby Volker_P » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:03 am

Interesting, compact look. Maybe the tail light should also come closer to the rear seat to complete this appearance.
Moreover you came out somewhat lower. With the stock chassis and 4-4 exhaust, the footpegs soon followed by the center stand will grind first - which is quite uncritical to handle. But for the side stand, the lever arm seems a bit more dangerous. So be careful at bumps in narrow curves.
If you don't like the inner rear mudgard, watch out whether you may need to protect your electric components and the pods against water sprayed up by the rear wheel.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

JohnnyCB

Postby JohnnyCB » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:11 am

It's always a work in progress. I'm going to bob the rear fender for sure and I want to move the battery and tuck the electrics up under the seat. I don't know if I want to keep the stock seat yet though and I have a cb200 tank on the shelf that wants to go on it :D First thing though is to get the jetting down and get a much shorter front brake line.

1stCB650

Postby 1stCB650 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:05 pm

I love the compact look, it's actually similar to mine and what I'm hoping to achieve. Your turn signals look a lot like the ones I have coming. Mine are off a late model Triumph though..

But I was wondering, are your front turns mounted to the headlight bracket or to the end of the headlight bolts themselves?

Also, where did you get your glasspacks from? I really like the look. If they're from an online vendor I just might pick up a few.

JohnnyCB

Postby JohnnyCB » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:41 pm

The front turn signals are the mounting bolts for the headlight. :mrgreen: They are short-stalk signals with the threaded end that the wires go through, I used them to mount the bucket to the ears. It makes for a clean look and super easy wiring.

The mufflers are from J&P Cycles, part number: 4500060. They aren't quite a direct fit though. After I hacked off the original mufflers I had to make a spacer to fit between the mufflers and the pipes. I don't remember the size but I just used some steel tubing I found at work.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:09 am

Look good!!
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

JohnnyCB

Postby JohnnyCB » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:17 pm

So, a little update. I changed the jets to 120 mains and 42 pilots. I saw the suggestion on here by someone that had pods and a 4-1 exhaust. All I can say is WOW! His suggestion is darn near perfect. It's like a whole new bike! Acceleration is fast and steady all the way to redline in every gear. Before, I was leaning out so bad that I had a hard time getting past 60 mph but not anymore. I went out on a *cough* "private track" and nailed it from 65 just to see where it would go. Of course, our speedo's only go to 85 so I backed off at 8500 rpm and figured I was going maybe a bit over 90. I was wrong; by my calculations, 8500 in 5th is 105 mph...

Woo-hoo! Ton-up!!!

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:49 pm

That's good news. I'd say your calculations look all right. Sounds like the recommended configuration of emy111 also works nice for you.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

jagstang89

Postby jagstang89 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:24 pm

Could we get pics of the front! Your custom looks awesome! Did you switch out forks I'm assuming?

Return to “Show it off”