'80 650c found in the depths of the underground parking.

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

mr.fixer

'80 650c found in the depths of the underground parking.

Postby mr.fixer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:44 pm

Found this bike sitting in the bowels of my buildings underground. Hasn't moved for 20 years! Everything is original except the windscreen and the engine guard, i think. I talked to the owner and he says one day he just parked it and didn't ride it again. It ran great up till that day, he says.

Offered $400 and now I have a project bike. Going to do a full original restore. Needs a bit of work to get her going and i'll post pics of my progress. First thing is a good clean, if you so much as brush past it now you come away filthy with dust.

Anyway, I'll post picks as I go, and i may have some questions also.

M
photo(5).JPG
photo(5).JPG (80.88 KiB) Viewed 9308 times

Volker_P

Re: '80 650c found in the depths of the underground parking.

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:31 am

Welcome here! :D
A dark, dry place is a quite nice storage so I would expect that this bike is still in good shape.
If you don't like to open the engine, give some oil through the plug holes and let is soak for a time before you try to turn it. Piston rings stuck to the cylinders may damage the piston ring grooves. So don't try to turn with force in case it turns out sticky.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:01 am

Clean the tank !!!!!!! :lol: Nice looking
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

emperorspartacus

Postby emperorspartacus » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:32 pm

Great find! Looks sharp. Listen to Volker and cb650... these guys are good.
There are old bikers. There are dumb bikers. There are no old, dumb bikers.

View my 1980 CB650C rebuild here.

mr.fixer

Postby mr.fixer » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:56 am

Thanks for the reply guys.
I've done a bunch of reading on this site now and have gotten so much good info on how to approach this bike. Great site!
I'm not going to do anything with the engine until I've: a. Pulled the tank and ensured no rust, and if so reseal it, b. Intall an inline fuel filter, and c. Put a little ATF fluid or oil down the spark holes just in case.
Then I'll do an oil and filter change, and give it a try. From everything I've read on here this seems like the best plan of attack. Unless you guys have another tip for me? Is it super crucial to pull and soak the carbs? Should I just do this anyways?
I'll let you know how it goes.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:40 pm

I would remove an outer carb bowl and have a look into the carbs jet region. This way you may get an idea what is necessary.
But I would be concerned about the accelerator pump diaphragm. I would expect it just will crack as soon as you turn the throttle for the first time. Cure could be to fill the carbs with fuel and let it soak for some days or throw them into a fuel bath. Or just disable the accelerator pump pin for now until it got soaked during your first starting and running experiences and then enable it again.

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

mr.fixer

Postby mr.fixer » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:08 pm

Got the bike out of the underground and out to its workshop today. A problem free trip.
photo 3(3).JPG
photo 3(3).JPG (141.91 KiB) Viewed 9184 times
At the other end i gave er a wash and removed the old windscreen to have a look. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the state the bikes is in. Now to pick up some supplies and have at er on Monday. :D
photo 5.JPG
photo 5.JPG (112.53 KiB) Viewed 9182 times

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:15 am

Looks like you did not like that windshield at all!
Would have been my first action, too. :lol:

mr.fixer

Postby mr.fixer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:50 am

Ya, the windscreen was poo.

Well, what a couple of long days working on this thing. Got the tank and carbs off, flushed the tank (which looked ok, but you never know), soaked and cleaned the carbs in a gas bath and then drained and changed the oil. Also pulled the plugs and put a little diesel down the plug holes to get the pistons all lubed. End of day one.
Next day I put in the new battery and sealed the spark units with epoxy. The old ones were starting to drip the black goo, but epoxy seemed to work wonderfully. Then it was time to see if the pistons were free and not seized. Cranked the motor by hand and all pistons moved freely, what a relief.
Turned the ignition for the first time and low and behold, everything worked %100. decided to try the starter to see if it worked and to also spray the diesel out of the plug holes. Worked the first time but not the second or third time. Seems like I have an intermitant ignition issue. Checked the 30A fuse and it crumbled to dust. 30 year fuse? Replaced the fuse and the starter kicked in again but not the time after that. Fuse is still good too. :(
So thats where I"m at right now, time to start cleaning all contacts to see if I just have some grit in there. If it's not that then maybe it's the ignition or perhaps a bad relay.
Any ideas? Is this a common issue that you guys have tackled before?

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:34 am

Although it won't kill your fuse, I would like to have a look into the starter. Just for cleaning brushes and lubrication of the bearings.
Have a look at the main fuse holder and the fuse holder on the steering, especially at its rear side. Corrosion or loose plugs may cause any trouble you don't like.
Does the starter relay still click or just nothing happens? Everything else electrical still works fine? Try with engine stop switch "off" position, this will switch off ignition power.

old gringo

Postby old gringo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:59 am

What a find! I suspect that the wiring system has issues due to 20 years of sitting. If so, I would look for a wiring harness. It's good to hear that the tank is ok. Nearly impossible to find one. My bike sat for 8 years and I finally sent the carbs off for a rebuilt set.
Good to hear one of these old girls come back to life after all this time. :mrgreen:
Laissez les bons temps rouler

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:59 pm

Thats a nice 650 Custom.

gratz :D
As long as I got Fuel, a Sprak and Air,
In the end I will run

mr.fixer

Postby mr.fixer » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:04 am

Hey all.

It turns out the starter solenoid is finicky. It doesn't work every time, so i need to tap it to get it to work. New one on order.
After a long day of cleaning the carbs, the bike runs, but not smoothly. And not without the choke out all the way. Once i push the choke in the engine bogs and dies.
Next thing is to check out the spark system to make sure all sparks are getting enough from the coils. Also, something is still not quite right with the carbs, so I'm gonna have another look in there and make sure its all clean.
I'm going to post a vid link ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V_AiMTo-6Y ) so you guys can hear the motor running roughly. I suspect that one cylinder is not firing. Just have to narrow down the reason why.
Also I would love it if someone could let me know the best place for carb stuff for these bikes, I did do a search hear but there just seams to be a lot of contradictory info.
Lastly thanks everyone for their input (special nod to Volker), this site is an invaluable source of info and encouragement.

I'll post again soon.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:55 am

To identify the not firing cylinder, feel for different temperature of the header pipes.
Compared to other bikes, the choke is required for a long time. It's normal that it dies on throttle if cold without choke.
I recently had a look at the starter solenoid. One should be able to open it to clean the contacts. But one has to unsolder the two coil cables to get it apart, did not try that yet as mine still works.
If there was stuff in your tank and you still have carb problems, try a not too coarse inline filter.

mr.fixer

Postby mr.fixer » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Hey guys, its been a while since my last post. Got the bike up and running really nice and she just purrs. I just have one persistent issue, and I'm hoping someone can lend some insight. For some reason the #2 Carb float is sticking. Its sticking open so gas leaks out of the overflow tube. Also, this problem is intermittent, and seems to come and go at a whim. Could the float have a hole and so is absorbing gas and sinking? Can this even happen? Seems strange that a carb would stick open instead of closed. Any help would be appreciated.

Next step on the bike is to start polishing all the aluminum back up to its original luster. I'll post some pics soon. Thanks again for the help.

Return to “Show it off”