accident damage

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

my79650

accident damage

Postby my79650 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:53 am

This happened to me last night in a town called Oromocto; 20/25 minutes from home at a traffic circle; while waiting for the traffic to go through for my turn; got rear-ended more towards the left saddlebag mounts; see the attached pics. My lady friend was on with me as well; she is alright just really sore from being thrown into me. When the car driver hit us I had my foot on brake pedal to keep the bike still and brake lights on. Had 3 bright brake lamps on the bike; 2 in the trunk and the one on the fender mount. My bike itself was driveable; everything worked. I think the only thing that save any real damage we were close to right side of road near the curb as there was some spilled gravel in the center from road work that was done last week. We lurched ahead a few feet and dropped the bike on the curbside in to the grass. What gets me is how at night ppl still can't see the brakelights on a motorcycle? Btw; the woman driving the car is in trouble; she had expired insurance and the tags ran out on her car also. So the police towed her car to impound and let me and my passenger go.
Attachments
damage 003.jpg
can really see difference with this shot
damage 003.jpg (84.9 KiB) Viewed 8031 times
damage 002.jpg
broken support; muffler is fine; not bent
damage 002.jpg (61.17 KiB) Viewed 8031 times
damage 001.jpg
mostly cosmetic.
damage 001.jpg (92.22 KiB) Viewed 8031 times

my79650

Re: accident damage

Postby my79650 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:59 am

Apparently the woman driving was texting with her cell phone when she should have been paying attention. Here in New Brunswick Canada its a $1200 fine for no insurance; regardless of situation; no exceptions; and they are working to get a no cellphone use while driving law in place; which makes sense. As any one on a motorcycle we have to be aware of "everything round us" when we drive; same should apply to 4 wheels as well; done venting. MY bike didn't seem to handle any different going back home; so is there anything else is should pull off and check before is start driving again?

cb650

Postby cb650 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:14 am

What a stupid bitch. Glad you are alright.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

my79650

Postby my79650 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:44 am

yeah; thanks; just really sore as hell today.

chucksklrst

Postby chucksklrst » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:08 pm

Go get yourself and you girl check out. Than sue the cage driver for the cost and pain.
Chuck Henderson
Aurora, Colorado
10 NT700 (Now & Then)
09 DL650 Wee (Weezer)
03 ST1300 (Silver STorm)
97 KLR 650 (STep Child)
86 VT1100 Shadow (Yesterday's Shadows) Sold
79 CB650 (Chasing Rainbows) Sold

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:15 pm

Glad you are ok one thing I always do is keep an eye on my rear well all around while stopped you never know when some nut job will rear end you.
You can plan to be to either side on the lane and plan to ride up beside the car in front if need be to avoid the rear end.
It has saved my butt several times in the rain. :shock:
You should always plan for the unexpected :lol:

I had a women 6 lanes over going the other direction cross over 6 lanes cut in between concrete road dividers and double back and she would have side swiped me had I not saw here coming driving erratically and got out of the way. and she gave me the finger for honking to get her attention so she would not hit me what a crazy world we live in.

I wish you the best of luck with repairs. :)

on a side note how does the bike drive with all the weight from that large trunk?
A>
<A

my79650

Postby my79650 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:13 am

Sueing up here in a lot of theses cases is practically impossible. The Gov't set up a soft tissue cap of $2500 per case; as we had skyrocketing insurance rates bout 10 yrs ago. Ppl who had a clean record saw their insurance go thru the roof; all they got was "pay it or no insurance". Insurance is standard here; law for that was passed before i was born and the gov's between then and now have left it that way. So they made a few new laws to stop the out of control rate increases; leveled out since they threatened all companies with setting up gov. run insurance like they have out west. As for the trunk; used to it; no real weight issue; got to take the saddlebags and brackets off to straighten and get welded. Worse thing is i just had them welded and painted a month ago; factory welds let go on me at the bolt hole brackets :( With out the bags and brackets; bike has a different feel to it; as most of my tools and rubber boots plus rain coat and spare vest are all spread between the two; so i shave off bout 30 pounds between the sides; handles a little easier to me; but i like to carry my gear as everything doesn't fit the trunk. Trunk has the room for a few tools; my lunchbox and change of clothes for work; we have a shower there; be lost without it now :D I really can't place everything in the trunk; tried that before and broke the 3rd light socket out if the holder inside the trunk; so i took the bulb out of the 2nd one as well; got the park and brake lamps on the 2 outside lamp wired in; still 3 visible brake lamps on the bike; other than the stupid wench not paying attention; no reason at 10:30pm that she couldn't see us; she's toast now anyway; getting insurance up here after getting caught without it is even worse than a DUI (breathalyzer). A few ppl that I used to work with got caught without it; lost their jobs cause they couldn't travel to work since they had no insurance for whatever reason.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:15 am

Bad story, good that no one was really injured. Have a look if your front forks tubes are still straight, they are quite susceptible. Also check the brake disk and wheels for lateral truness. Also make sure the tires sit correctly on their rims everywhere.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

my79650

Postby my79650 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:52 am

Thanks for the tips Volker; definitely will check everything; got s new front tire coming this week anyway as current one is getting down to wear bars. Advantage having a spare rim; can still drive until Friday after i check everything.

Rocky

Postby Rocky » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:49 pm

Glad to know that you are still safe!

Best of luck with the repairs.

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:22 pm

I have a very slight bend in my forks so if I put to much weight in the back the bike seemed to bounce from left to right from time to time, so it try not to over weight the back.
I need to get around to trying to get the forks perfectly strait.
They are visually strait but not quite perfect.
I am sure my front tire would last longer as well if it got them fixed.
A>
<A

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:52 am

You may remember that fork bending for bored housewives might be done like this. But as I remember that wilful destruction is your middle name, you should probably try not that at a wall/house you still need. :lol:
Better give it away to someone with a hydraulic press.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

my79650

Postby my79650 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:04 am

For the few minutes it takes to check them; i'll pull them off; if i do need to straighten one or both; got a hydraulic press in the shop at work; a bonus for me as i can use it while i'm on my night shift. My front tire is on its 2nd season so i got maybe close to 20,000km on it; translates to about 12,000 miles; since i normally start biking in middle of March til it gets too cold in November; most of my mileage is just from going to work and home again. My front rim i'm running is off of my 1st 650; it always had a shake to it; it got a tube in it cause PO damaged valve stem hole; drilled it out some to try shoving a car valve stem in; my shop tried everything he had for bike valve stems; even the biggest he had wouldn't fit so we had to run with the tube; since my spare rim has an old weather cracked 100/90-19 on it; hopefully its still tubeless and in good order; well it ran quite smooth on the "new to me bike" when i test drove it before i bought it so i am still hoping its in good condition; won't know til Friday afternoon when i pick it up with a new Kendra 100/90-19.

my79650

Postby my79650 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:45 am

Got my welding finished up last night at work; just have to get some paint and maybe some fine tuning with a bend or two after i put the bags on. Forks look pretty good also; if there is a slight bend i can't see it; run it to work all week; still no real noticeable difference in handling; will tell for sure after i install the new tire.
Attachments
forks and bracket 003.jpg
just need some paint
forks and bracket 003.jpg (86.01 KiB) Viewed 7897 times
forks and bracket 002.jpg
look pretty close to being even
forks and bracket 002.jpg (75.6 KiB) Viewed 7897 times
forks and bracket 001.jpg
look good to me
forks and bracket 001.jpg (65.88 KiB) Viewed 7898 times

Return to “Show it off”