New Bike...New Owner...New Rider!

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Calum

New Bike...New Owner...New Rider!

Postby Calum » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:29 am

Hi guys,

I recently purchased my first bike...a 1980 Honda CB650C. It was in pretty good condition when I picked it up...running (20,000 mi give or take) and all. I must admit though with limited mechanical knowledge, I was convinced it had been completely "rebuilt". The more I learn, the more I discover that "rebuilt" means pulled apart, cleaned, and glued...lol. Even with missing screws, low oil, and other minor issues, it is a fabulous bike! I am looking foward to really getting in there and bringing it back up to speed. Glad to have found a forum where I can get some ideas for it.

There she is is in all her naked glory...about five minutes before leaving for a toy run on a cold morning with a broken choke and kinked fuel line...hence the lack of seat and tank in the picture. I will post more as the project comes along![/img]
1980 CB650 Custom

Volker_P

Re: New Bike...New Owner...New Rider!

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:56 am

Welcome here! :D
You are right, this bike has been at least partly apart and put together again. There is no original black engine in this frame and the valve covers are not of the custom version. Mufflers are aftermarket and main stand looks missing. But everything except the clutch lever looks fine and in good shape.
You seem to have a good hand to be able to start it with broken choke on a cold day :wink:
Maybe it has just been put together for sale. So before you seriously ride, check the brakes, check all bolts for tightness, have a look inside the airbox and find out how old the tyres are.

Calum

Postby Calum » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:00 am

Not so much a good hand as a readily available bottle of carb cleaner and some choice words :wink: ! Thanks for the advice...I fully plan on tearing in to figure out exactly what has been tampered with and to what extent. Already been through the carbs and now on to the engine :shock:
1980 CB650 Custom

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:32 am

Welcome. Nice bike!
1980 CB650c

Return to “Show it off”