My "New" 82 Nighthawk

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Kullin

My "New" 82 Nighthawk

Postby Kullin » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:15 pm

Well, It's new to me anyhow. I got it for 500 as a none running bike "only missing an airbox". I still think it's a good deal, but I'll know better in a day or two when my carbs are returned to me whole. Gave them to a shop to be cleaned as I was lacking on time and I'm over eager to get it on the road. I got it started briefly with a shot of starter fluid before I pulled them off though. Issues I've stumbled across are missing random bolts, which I may have to later ask dimensions on, as Bikebandit doesn't show all the measurments, and figuring out where hoses go, and what ones I need with my new airbox.

Anyhow, the bike was painted away from original, but it was well done in a two tone purple/blue. The chrome looks immaculate as well, and the 4/4 exaust just looks great.

Jason

Volker_P

Re: My "New" 82 Nighthawk

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:58 am

Welcome here, Jason! :D
Certainly no bad price for a runner with a still nice and intact 4-4. If bolts are missing, also check out the mounted ones for being torqued and -if looking suspicious- for being long enough.
Good luck when you get the carbs back.
BTW, it is also a "missing a headlight" bike. :lol:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Kullin

Postby Kullin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:39 pm

Nah, the headlight is in the garage. I had to reinstall the wiring harness and I need to clean up the bucket some. I was given a box of "extras" including an extra front fender, a chain guard (that isn't for this bike...) and an assortment of bolts. Thankfully I found most of the missing ones inside, but I am missing something. On the cylinder head between 2 and 3 I have a hole stuffed with paper towel. It's soaked in oil. I've tried finding the (bolt?) that goes here, but all the diagrams show the other side. I even tried the dealer with no success. Any ideas?

Jason

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:43 pm

Pic? Could be the cam chain tensioner bolt.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:03 am

I think the upper cam chain tensioner bolt is still in the cylinders.
If you have no airbox (where the hose would go to), it might be the vent at the top center valve cover. But this is rather a tube than a hole.
Picture would be helpful.

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Kullin

Postby Kullin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:46 am

Pics are sideways. Left is top.

Hope those help. Was hard to get a decent angle. This is carb side.

Jason

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:45 am

Now I think the upper cam chain tensioner bolt is not between the cylinders. :lol:

Yes, that's the one that is missing (or rather head turned off?) here. May be difficult to get reasonable cam chain tension without it. If you can install a new bolt, use a copper washer. The stock 6mm bolt has a 10mm hexagon but gets circular at the head bottom surface. If required, I can find out length.

Kullin

Postby Kullin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:12 am

I've got replacement bolt and washer ordered that should be here tomorrow. Now I've got a fear that something is going to be missing inside, but it ran for about 5 seconds a week ago with starter fluid. Hmm

Jason

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:53 am

With the bolt installed, adjust cam chain tension and afterwards the valves. From the present valve settings, you may get a first impression if this engine has been opened and possibly reassembled with or without care. Also check out ignition timing.

Kullin

Postby Kullin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:48 pm

I'm sitting on my thumbs awaiting the bolt from the dealership. Stir crazy is an understatement. I've swapped out the starter solenoid and even mounted/cleaned up the headlight. Used the electro method of cleaning the gas tank, and installed an inline filter. Awaiting remounting the carb due to not knowing how long this bolt is going to be and if they will be in the way or not. Otherwise everything is tightened up and ready to go until I find something else missing/broken :lol:

Jason

Kullin

Postby Kullin » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:48 pm

So dealership either had the wrong part listed or ordered the wrong one. The bolt I have received doesntt remotely fit. Any chance for deminsions?

Jason

Kullin

Postby Kullin » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:13 pm

Parts says 6x18. Tried an 8 1.25 and too big. Now to find a 7 I guess?
Last edited by Kullin on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kullin

Postby Kullin » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:17 pm

7 also too small. 8 1.0 also too big. About ready to tap it to 5/16ths

Jason

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:54 am

I am quite sure the upper cam chain tensioner bolt is 6mm. I am just unsure about length.
Note that the first maybe 8mm have no thread! This bolt is not just a plug but bolts the tensioner to the rear of the cylinder head. The 6mm thread is on the tensioner. It may be difficult to find it through the hole with the 6mm bolt.

What may work: release the tensioner nut, then insert a pin into your hole and through the tensioner thread to center the thread with the hole. Fix the tensioner nut again to fix the tensioner position in the engine, pull out pin and turn in your 6mm bolt without problems. So far my theory. Never tried it, please report if it is worth anything... :lol:

Kullin

Postby Kullin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:05 am

good thing I waited on redrilling. I have a few 6mm I will try in a bit. If they work this time round I'll just question the threads on the head and hate myself for all the gas/money I've wasted trying to find the one that fits.

Jason

Return to “Show it off”