restore it
No votes
forget it, it's too far gone
No votes

Total votes: 0

Dumbscout

Barn find, sorta

Postby Dumbscout » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:37 am

It was found in a barn, my buddy got it running, then parked it for about 5 years leaned up against a bush, with the air box and gas tank off,,,,, gas tank is gone, along with the ignition key. I'm hopeful we can get it running, but I doubt it will ever look pretty again. lol.

It's got no gas tank, or shift lever, and all the cables are rusted tight, and the chain is way way rusted. I have marvel mystery oil in the cylinders to try and make sure the engine isn't seized, or to loosen the rings if it is. I scared some black widows out of the carbs, and have removed them today to see about spraying them down with some WD40 or soak them in Marvel Mystery Oil, or something. I'm trying to put as little money into this as I can, primarily because we have no title yet, I've started the process at the DMV, but that could take up to 6 months.

Any input/advice/help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not an experienced mechanic, but I do have a small amount of time turning wrenches helping my buddies with various cars and trucks.
Attachments
photo 2edit.jpg
1981 CB650C at home
photo 2edit.jpg (210.26 KiB) Viewed 9024 times
photo 1edit.jpg
1981 CB650C
photo 1edit.jpg (221.96 KiB) Viewed 9024 times

cb650

Re: Barn find, sorta

Postby cb650 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:26 pm

Looks like it might be a long project or a good parts bike. By the time you get all the parts together you might just as well have looked for another.
Sorry just being honest. Seen worse come back to life though.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Dumbscout

Postby Dumbscout » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:54 pm

I have a vertigo issue, which has gotten better as I have lost weight. I'm hoping as I get close to my goal weight that it will be under control enough for me to ride, so the whole purpose of the bike is just to let me have something that if I drop it a few times it won't make me cry. I'm just trying to get it running well enough to drive around my neighborhood, then if I can do that ok, maybe I'll get plates for it and put it on the road, or I might just sell it for cheap and get something nicer. It really won't hurt my feelings if you are brutally honest, that's part of the reason I'm here! :) I might end up with a trike or a hack, but I'd prefer 2 wheels if I can.

Kullin

Postby Kullin » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:06 pm

I didn't think it was too bad until I saw the second pic, lol! I'm en route to a cycle salvage yard tomorrow in hopes of finding a tank for a running 82 450 Nighthawk I was given for FREE =D. Might suggest seeing if you have a salvage yard around you if you don't see something on Ebay. You might get lucky. Then again, I don't know what they will charge me, should I find something.

Jason

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:16 am

Welcome here! :D

with regard to what people report here, I'd say it makes more sense to get a more or less complete bike for cheap and make one out of two. This bike may be rebuild, but it is a lot of work. To get an idea how much, read the rebuild story of phil. If you have time and like to work on the bike it is all right, but is is neither the cheapest nor the fastest way to a rideable bike.

For your vertigo issue: Can you ride a bicyle? If not, get a helmet, gloves and boots and start with that on flat grassland. Don't try a motorcycle on the road before you manage that. Moreover not a heavy steelclad with a poor chassis like a CB650.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Dumbscout

Postby Dumbscout » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:11 am

You know, I hadn't even thought about trying a bike first. I'll do that. Great idea.

I'll check the link out, thanks.

MiGhost

Postby MiGhost » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:57 am

Dumbscout

With all the given information takin into consideration. This will not be a cheap or quick project.

First major hurdle. No title. The best you can hope for would be to get an assembled title. Meaning the bike will have to be in full operational condition and inspected prior to title assignment.

Next major hurdle. Getting it operational. 5 years sitting exposed to the elements is not good.
Worst case would be a siezed motor - Full rebuild, or replacement.
Infested carbs - Full rebuild, or replacement.
Bad brakes - Full rebuild, or replacement of all components.
Rotted electrical system - Full replacment of components.
None of this will be cheap or easy.

From what i see in the pics. You are better off finding a nearly complete bike like the one you have and using that one for parts to fix it up.

Or

Part out/sell that bike, and take the money to buy something better. Your better option given the limited mechanical experience. I have seen far worse brought back over time, and far better given up on and parted out. Unless you are in it for the learning experience.

Given your vertigo, and lack of riding experience I would suggest that you take a rider training course and find out just how dangerous riding a motorcycle can be. Safety always has to be a major concern. I had three near misses yesterday alone, and one of those was a COP!!

I am sorry to burst your bubble so crudely. I would rather chat with you, than about you!!

I wish you the best on your decision
Ghost
~ Ghost

PD50 Carb Info
82 CB650SC Brake Caliper Info

Stable
Wayward Son:1980 CB650C, RestoMod Period Custom Touring
Bad Moon: 1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim, Full Dress Tour Deluxe w/ X-1 Fairing
Nemesis: 1983 XJ750K Maxim, Old School style chopper

Dumbscout

Postby Dumbscout » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:52 am

I'm planning on taking a motorcycle safety course, this was (in my head) supposed to just be a tinker/fun project to mess around with and see how bad it is. I had actually originally planned to strip it, and convert to an electric motor, but the price of batteries and limited range deterred me, now I'm looking at diesel conversions, if everything is as far gone as it could be. I'm still hoping against all odds that I can get it running for super cheap, just to have a bike to mess around with. It will probably be winter or spring before I hit my weight goal (still have 25-50 to lose) but as long as I stay away from Chinese food my vertigo is a lot better already (I've lost 76 pounds so far). So who knows. If I decide to part it out or get rid of it I'll post it on here, but there's hardly a part devoid of rust, so I doubt I could get much out of it.

Has anyone here looked into diesel conversions?

Ouch

Postby Ouch » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:13 am

personally i would restore it expexting it to take a long time :roll: ....wanna see some crazy restor project head over to soch4.net...and if you wanna sell it as a parts bike shout out how and where you are at!

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:29 am

A (turbo) diesel conversion may be found in the Converted CB650C to a CB954TD thread.
But I'd say changing to a completely different engine to get a super cheap bike makes no sense. You will have to buy and make too many special parts to make it fit and run. Just get another 1981 (! or maybe 1982) CB650C and make two out of one.
Or get a completely different cheap bike that looks bad but runs.

But start with the bicycle. Being a motorcycle beginner is dangerous enough even without vertigo issues. If you can get into that bicycle idea seriously, it will also help with your weight problem much more than a motorcycle. :wink:

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Dumbscout

Postby Dumbscout » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:27 am

Well I won't be able to ride a bicycle regularly because of some old injuries I have, but I could ride around on one for a few minutes probably without aggrivating anything. The pedaling motion repetitively is just not good for me. That's why I hadn't thought of it to test my vertigo, also the diesel conversion would be more for long term economics that "cheap bike" mentality.

I've had the cylinders soaking in marvel mystery oil since I posted originally, to free up the rings if they are stuck. I'm going to try to turn the engine over Sunday, I'll let you guys know what the verdict is. Anyone near Kernersville NC that might want the engine and engine stuff off the bike in case i decide to give up, or switch to diesel?

I really like the thought of running bio diesel, but the reality of the swap might be too much for me.

MiGhost

Postby MiGhost » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:25 pm

convert to an electric motor

Now you have my attention.
This is something that I have done some in depth study into. The only limitation to doing a motorcycle conversion is cost. For a good 48 volt electric conversion using litium ion batteries you could expect to spend $1600 - $2000 on the battery pack alone. The rest of the necessary package (motor, controller, charger, etc...) would cost approx $1000 - $1500. That would be on top of the cost of getting the basic rolling chassis back into shape. You could expect the total rebuild, and conversion to run approx $5000 - $6000, but would end up with a very unique, and very usable bike.

Of course there are ways to reduce that cost. You could haunt the following forums and pick up parts as you would here.

Eccomodder
DIYElectric

Litium ion battery information
CALB batteries
Winston Batteries

Motor information
Lynch Motor Company

A good place to start getting an understanding of electric conversions using litium batteries.
EVTV

There is a wealth of information available, and the groundwork has been done. The bike you have would be an excellent candidate for a conversion, but once again this would be a time, and expense project.

Ghost
~ Ghost

PD50 Carb Info
82 CB650SC Brake Caliper Info

Stable
Wayward Son:1980 CB650C, RestoMod Period Custom Touring
Bad Moon: 1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim, Full Dress Tour Deluxe w/ X-1 Fairing
Nemesis: 1983 XJ750K Maxim, Old School style chopper

Dumbscout

Postby Dumbscout » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:24 am

Do you think electric would be more feasible than the diesel conversion? From a sustainability standpoint they both have advantages, but I could set the diesel up for biodiesel, and get oil from mc donalds or in a worst case scenario press my own. With the electric the batteries would eventually stop holding a charge, and unless I got a solar charger, it would still be grid dependent.
The range of the electric bikes are what really turned me off, with diesel I could just fill up wherever I am, electric is what 15-30 mile range depending on battery pack size right? I would love to have it electric, from a uniqueness standpoint, I just wouldn't even be able to commute with it since my job (and most of my friends) are a 65 mile round trip away.

Electric would get me to the farmers market though,,,
And I can't use the bike for work right now anyway, since I'm currently working with disabled children, have to have a car with a back seat. So really I guess the bike for right now would be more of a hobby/toy, but 6 grand would buy a lot of really nice bikes. Lol.

I'll find out today if the engine is any good hopeflully. I'll post tonight and see which direction to go in.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:41 am

I'd prefer to check out the option of riding a motorcycle at all first. Possibly you won't be able to do it reasonably or just won't like it due to your previous injuries may make it heavily inconvenient or so. Which means you should concentrate on first getting yourself ready for riding best as you can, preferentially with the help of a bicycle. Then get your CB or some other cheap bike somehow running and find out if a motorcycle is really what you can and like to have. If this is positive, it is still time to care for diesel conversions or other stuff.
Otherwise you may prefer to shift such ideas to a three wheeler or a quad.

Dumbscout

Postby Dumbscout » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:33 am

Popped open the bottom of the carb and was greeted by A float bowl full of a thick almost greasy powdered orange substance I'm assuming is clay and dried gasoline? Probably going to need to tear them all the way down and rebuild them. I put some gas in the cylinders and got it to fire off that gas, so that's promising.

Probably will either get this bike running, or get a clean good condition one and use this as a parts bike, or sell this as a running parts bike and get something newer that is in good condition.
I do like the looks of this bike though.

Return to “Show it off”