Newly aquired 1979 CB 650 project

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Volker_P

Re: Newly aquired 1979 CB 650 project

Postby Volker_P » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:33 am

Right, should be an about 64x3mm square O-ring. I don't see it either.
Might find precise dimensions of my circular replacement if required.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Ruckryder

Postby Ruckryder » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:14 am

Volker_P wrote:Right, should be an about 64x3mm square O-ring. I don't see it either.
Might find precise dimensions of my circular replacement if required.

I'm going into the city tommorrow ( 6 hr drive , ugh ) on other business , and I'll get the fellow at Honda parts to price me everything that's available and see what the price difference will be . Also I'm not sure the quality of the Ebay set , anyone used these sets before ? I found a nice O-ring set I'll probably pickup too as I should have one handy anyways .
" Don’t be discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward." ~ Unknown

Ruckryder

Postby Ruckryder » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:27 pm

Nothing much to add lately , but my replacement parts came :D Image Now I have to wait for a gasket set to arrive , meanwhile I'll start prepping the parts for installation .
" Don’t be discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward." ~ Unknown

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:06 am

Just to make sure: the vent on the center valve cover should point to the rear and from there should be a hose to the airbox.

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Ruckryder

Postby Ruckryder » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:13 pm

Volker_P wrote:Just to make sure: the vent on the center valve cover should point to the rear and from there should be a hose to the airbox.

Got it . I'm running 4 pod filters , I'll probably use a small filter or catch can for the vent .

jay_kent

Postby jay_kent » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:10 am

I've used that exact kit earlier this year, it doesn't come with the oil pump rings, you'll need to get those. It did come with everything else for the engine though.

The fit isn't as great as I hoped on the valve covers. Rubber was smaller and not as flexible but it did worked with a little stretching and heat.

Let me know if you need anything I've got a torn down engine sitting and I just aquired another 1979 this weekend. Not as clean as yours but in running condition.

if you need any manuals in pdf form here's a link to my blog.
http://colt-pixy.com/1979cb650/service-manual/
1979 Cafe Racer Blog - Here

Ruckryder

Postby Ruckryder » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:12 pm

jay_kent wrote:I've used that exact kit earlier this year, it doesn't come with the oil pump rings, you'll need to get those. It did come with everything else for the engine though.

The fit isn't as great as I hoped on the valve covers. Rubber was smaller and not as flexible but it did worked with a little stretching and heat.

Let me know if you need anything I've got a torn down engine sitting and I just aquired another 1979 this weekend. Not as clean as yours but in running condition.

if you need any manuals in pdf form here's a link to my blog.
http://colt-pixy.com/1979cb650/service-manual/

Thanks for the feedback on the gaskets & I'll check that link out :)

thrutheframe

Postby thrutheframe » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:17 am

Nice looking bike it looks pretty clean, too bad the top end is all boogered. I have the exact bike. Someone mentioned the possibility that this bike idled on the side stand too much. I recently decided to put my center stand back on my bike because the side stand let it lean over way too far.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=83981.0
I keep rubbin it but it still looks broken.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:41 am

Excessive side stand idle may be bad - if at all - for the lobes but not for the bearings. This crankshaft was killed due to a blocked oil passage.

Ruckryder

Postby Ruckryder » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi , I've been MIA for awhile , busy with my business , volunteering as Zamboni driver , also in the near future as volunteer fireman . I also forgot my username and password , but finally had time to reset it . It's been too cold over the winter (-35C) to work in my unheated / uninsulated tin bike shed :(. I have been busy fixing snowmobiles and other small engine snow removal equipment in my other shed . The temperature is finally rising above zero Celsius , so I'll have more to share when I start working on the bike again . Cheers :)

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:10 am

Zamboni.
Just learned a new word. :D
(Found out what it is.)

Ruckryder

Postby Ruckryder » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:50 pm

Yeah , people watch me go round and round and round :P

Ruckryder

Postby Ruckryder » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:47 am

Hello all , I'm still alive and kicking ! It's been a busy time , moving from the city to the sticks and getting my small engine repair business and landscaping business , not to mention my motel business running . The 650 is still sitting on the lift and all I've done so far is reinstall the oil pump , and the cylinder head ( not torqued yet still waiting for my digital torque wrench to arrive in the post ) . I'm hoping to start the engine this month and see how it runs . I'll post updates soon :) Cheers ! :D
Btw could anyone tell me the fork tube diameter of my '79 ? I'm looking to purchase a set of clip-on bars .
Attachments
Photo2273.jpg
Photo2273.jpg (32.76 KiB) Viewed 8356 times

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:13 am

Good to hear your project is still alive.
This engine looks really clean! Certainly worth the patience for the torque wrench. :wink:

Fork tube should be 35mm but easy to measure.

Ruckryder

Postby Ruckryder » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:17 pm

While I wait for my tool to arrive I thought I'd start making a new seat pan from some steel plate I'd found . Now to plan the contours and find a steel sheet for the tail piece . Image

Return to “Show it off”