just picked this up '80 650c

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

peripatetic

just picked this up '80 650c

Postby peripatetic » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:02 am

New to this site, and new to fixing bikes, but I've got to say this site is a treasure trove of information.

Got this bike a few weeks ago, 2,400 original miles, looks to be complete and mint. Had been in climate controlled storage by the owners uncle for the past 20 yrs. I got it running, though very rough, and had a hard time holding an idle. Now it won't start, so I am chasing through the electrical system and following a few of the previous posts.

thanks all
Attachments
IMG_0452.jpg
IMG_0452.jpg (119.22 KiB) Viewed 5419 times
IMG_0450.jpg
IMG_0450.jpg (116.5 KiB) Viewed 5419 times
peripatetic '80 650c

Volker_P

Re: just picked this up '80 650c

Postby Volker_P » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:21 am

Welcome here! :D

peripatetic wrote:Got this bike a few weeks ago, 2,400 original miles, looks to be complete and mint. Had been in climate controlled storage by the owners uncle for the past 20 yrs.
Congratulations! Some day I will get crazy!

Start with cleaning the tank. Accelarator pump and air cutoff (if it has, check at outer carb acessible cover) diaphragms may be cracked or even have fallen to dust. Other seals may start leaking soon, but one can wait for that.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Fueldrum

Postby Fueldrum » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:11 am

Clean the carbs. Clean carbs are your friend.

Might be proper to re-build them too, just to be on the safe side.

Ruckryder

Postby Ruckryder » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:13 pm

She's a beaut ! I'd change the oil also .
" Don’t be discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward." ~ Unknown

peripatetic

Postby peripatetic » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:59 pm

I've got the carbs off and everything looks spotless. Only problem I'm having is that the choke does not quite work smoothly. Can't get it to fully close, especially on 3 and 4, without manually operating the valves. Used some pb blaster on all the moving parts, and that helps some, but can I remove the screws on the valves and slide that whole rod out, or is a tired spring usually the issue?

The oil was drained before storage, so that is fresh.

All the rubber looks fresh as well, no cracks on tires or hoses, pretty amazing really.

Just trying to get her on the road quick so I can get some riding time in before it gets cold.

thanks all
peripatetic '80 650c

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:17 am

A CB650 typically needs the choke completely closed to start at all, so I'd say fix this first. Try lubricating with thin oil first, but possibly something is wrong with the choke cam spring mechanism. Here is a picture how it should look like. It is of course at the bottom, disregard the arrow, that's for the accelerator pump.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Show it off”