how will my bike handle the trip? need advice

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

livetoride

how will my bike handle the trip? need advice

Postby livetoride » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:53 am

hey guys. me and my brother are about to take a trip to lexington va to the Shenandoah valley. the trip will take 6.5 hours and is about 408 miles long. will the 1980 cb650c hold up? will my bike be able to handle the entire ride in one day? it would be all interstate so about 70 mph the entire way there so let me know if i can make it in one day. also will an 80 cb650c run on gas that has ethanol in it

Pinhead

Re: how will my bike handle the trip? need advice

Postby Pinhead » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:18 am

As long as there's nothing wrong with it it should do fine. These bikes will literally run all day at 70 mph with no problem.

I've made the ride out to my parents' house and back at 80 mph in a single day and that's about 440 miles.

Just verify that your chain is well-oiled and correctly adjusted, you've got proper pressure in your tires, and oil level is good. If all is well, it should be good to go.

livetoride

Postby livetoride » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:40 pm

thanks alot!! but how does it run with ethanol? being a 4 clyinder it should be fine but you also need to think in 1980 they never even thought about the use of ethanol

Pinhead

Postby Pinhead » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:54 am

livetoride wrote:thanks alot!! but how does it run with ethanol? being a 4 clyinder it should be fine but you also need to think in 1980 they never even thought about the use of ethanol

My bike seems ever-so-slightly lean just off idle with E10. It's only noticeable until the engine is fully warm, though. If E10 is all that is available I wouldn't worry about it. But if you've got a pump with E10 and straight unleaded I'd fill up with unleaded.

Return to “Show it off”