new guy to the forum

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Hurst

new guy to the forum

Postby Hurst » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:53 pm

hello all. just got this cb650. got a good deal i think $250. carbs need work only stays running with choke on and giving it gas. my buddy is goin to help me do that with in the next 2 weeks. im going to bob it, hopefully this turns out pretty good i have a virago i did and really enjoy so we will c.
Attachments
cb-1.JPG
cb-1.JPG (74.63 KiB) Viewed 8356 times

cb650

Re: new guy to the forum

Postby cb650 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:32 pm

Nice. u going to put the stock air boxes on it or pods?
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Hurst

Postby Hurst » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:25 pm

Pods I have the stock ones but I like the look of the pods

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:32 am

Welcome here! :D
250 is really not bad for running somehow and looking complete except air plenum. As these are the PD carbs, pods will probably ask for rejetting. Have a look at the 79 cb650 carb jetting question thread to get an idea where to start from.
But start with cleaning out the tank. Carbs come out hard and doing that once should be enough.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Hurst

Postby Hurst » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:16 am

Thanks for the info! When I was taking off the center stand I noticed a bunch of crud, so I'm sure there's an oil leak. Wish I was more mechanically inclined. Lol. So new gaskets and master cylinder is after carb clean. I have the stock air system I just hate it being so cluttered. Hopefully I have $ to buy the rejet kit before he has time to do it for me. Anything else I should know about the cb650? I was surprised at how heavy it is. But I love it, can't wait for it to start to take shape. Thanks again

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:28 pm

Yes, heavy but as Honda fortunately did foresee wheels, so at least you don't have to carry it! :lol:
But in fact the chassis of the CB650 is old fashioned and weak, however if you are used to a Virago there should be not that much difference.
Rear brake tends to early blocking.

The jetting proposals of that link are just a hint where to start from. Depending on pods, exhaust, altitude or whatever you still may have to play around a bit until you are really happy. No plug and play here unless with a really good part of luck. If you don't have patience, I recommend to keep the stock airbox for now.

The CB650 needs rpms to move. With enough oil and warm engine it will stand them without trouble.
Typically starting needs full choke and choke is required longer than for most other bikes.
Oil leak at the head gasket level is more or less typical. Nothing to worry.

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Hurst

Postby Hurst » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:16 pm

Awesome thanks! I'm new to the cb 650 so any info is much appreciated. I like the lines of this bike and the fact several tanks can fit. I want sort of a bare bones look.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:34 pm

What several tanks do u speak of? What u going to do with your old tank when u use one of these several tanks?

Hurst

Postby Hurst » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:32 pm

Lol, wow. Little bit of sarcasm, huh, cb650? Just about any tank will work, peanut/sportster, Wassel, any virAgo. As opposed to my Virago the backbone is 3.5 inches wide.
To answer ur question I thought about reusing the tank badges but probably not. I will probably post on here for sale if no one bites I will throw it on eBay. I have to c how much they r goin for.It doesn't have any dents but needs a paintjob badly. I want a peanut tank. Yes I know it's been done but I haven't done it and I like the look.

Quick question anyone if I remove the speedo and tach will it cause my bike not to crank? I did that but when I tried to crank it gas poured from the card? Was it by coincidence? Or do I need to reinstall it? Thanks in advance

cb650

Postby cb650 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:06 am

No sarcasm I was wondering what tank u found that would fit. A person can make anything none stock fit with enough acetylene and welding rod.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:59 am

It either cranks in neutral or with the clutch pulled.
Do you still have a neutral light? If not and you pulled too many plugs, it may not crank any more now. Try pulling the clutch.

I also understood it like you know several stock tanks that fit without any or too much effort.

Hurst

Postby Hurst » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:28 am

I did have it neutral but I did unplug that part as well. I will reinstal and c what happens.
Sorry I wasn't clear and maybe I came off sarcastic. If so my bad on that as well. Thanks for the help!!

cb650

Postby cb650 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:00 am

Did u unplug anything in the headlite?

Hurst

Postby Hurst » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:23 am

Yeah I unplugged the tach speedo and instrument panel (for the turn signals and neutral light).

cb650

Postby cb650 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:56 am

If the fuse block and the right controller are still hooked up it should start I would think. Or atleast turn over. U will need either the clutch switch or neutral switch also.

Return to “Show it off”