New to me 1981 CB650C. Now what?

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

F16Viper68

Re: New to me 1981 CB650C. Now what?

Postby F16Viper68 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:14 pm

The last few days have been about getting the clearcoat on the tank, new petcock installed, restoring the tank badges, getting the new Bridgestone Spitfire S11's mounted/balanced, and disassembling the rear end (e.g. sissy bar, grab bar, chain guard, shocks, rear fender, tail light, etc) for clean up.

The SprayMax 2k Clearcoat (Gloss) is simply an awesome product. I was very surprised how well a rattle can clearcoat can look.

I had some issues getting the bead set on the rear tire but nothing some lube and 50PSI couldn't fix. :) The front was kind of a PITA too because I couldn't get it inflated without strapping the tire and removing the valve stem core.

They balanced up with no major issues.

Everything is finally coming together. I was able to take it out for a ride around the neighborhood this afternoon. ;D ;D ;D First time this bike has taken to the road under its own power in ten years.

It rode really nice but I need to do some work on the front brakes, I'm not sure the V-Strom master cylinder is cutting it. Also the engine is missing while cruising in 2nd or 3rd gear (2.5k RPM to 3k RPM) but accelerates very smoothly.

Still a lot to do (e.g. reassemble the tail light assembly, fix the horn, restore the side cover badges, etc) but it's rideable!!!!

I'll add a link in my signature to the thread I have going on SOHC.net.

Oh yeah, it used to look like this.

Dave...

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:00 am

This looks really good! :D
For the master cylinder, you need one with the same piston diameter like stock.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

F16Viper68

Postby F16Viper68 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:23 am

Volker_P wrote:This looks really good! :D
For the master cylinder, you need one with the same piston diameter like stock.

Thanks it's been a lot of work but I'm making progresss. My plan is to get a few more things addressed and ride it for a few months (need a break). Then I'm tearing it down so I can have the frame/swing arm sand blasted so I can paint the frame. While it's apart I'm going to replace the head gaskets and address an oil leak or two.

Yeah I guess I'll finish rebuilding the OEM master cylinder and see if the braking performance improves.

Dave...

gohonda

Postby gohonda » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:21 am

nice job there.The polished parts have come up well, what did you use
1980 honda cb 650
peterborough England

garykohl2

Postby garykohl2 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:13 pm

Looks really good. I like the color

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:35 am

F16Viper68 wrote:While it's apart I'm going to replace the head gaskets and address an oil leak or two.
As you seem to fear no efforts, you may also like to try this.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

F16Viper68

Postby F16Viper68 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:21 pm

gohonda wrote:nice job there.The polished parts have come up well, what did you use

A variety of things. Sometimes just a simple hand polish. If it was really bad 600 grit sand paper (wet), polishing compounds and a bench grinder, and clearcoat paint.

The chrome was soaked in a liquid called Goof Off which remove most of the rust.

Dave...

gentlemanjim

Postby gentlemanjim » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:31 am

Beautiful workamnship - quick question when you rebuilt the CV carbs were you able to remove the pilot sjets? How?

BrewCrew102

Postby BrewCrew102 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:19 pm

You did a very nice job! That was a lot of work you put into it. Looks like you have all of the right tools to do so too.

F16Viper68

Postby F16Viper68 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:33 am

gentlemanjim wrote:Beautiful workamnship - quick question when you rebuilt the CV carbs were you able to remove the pilot sjets? How?

If by pilot jet you mean idle jet, then no on the 1981 CV carbs the idle jets are not removable. Well without great pain and suffering. Think drill, screw extractor, tap/die set, etc.

If you are looking to ensure you carbs are really clean I highly suggest Mike Nixon's pamplet "Cleaning the Honda DOHC Four Carburetor" which can be found here. http://www.motorcycleproject.com/.

I know it says DOHC but it covers the 1981 CB650C which runs similar two jet carbs.

Dave...

F16Viper68

Postby F16Viper68 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:34 am

BrewCrew102 wrote:You did a very nice job! That was a lot of work you put into it. Looks like you have all of the right tools to do so too.

Thank you very much. Still a lot more to work to do but I'm getting there.

Dave...

cb650

Postby cb650 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:14 pm

Remember the 82 carbs do have removable idle jets and are the same carb as 81 essentially.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

F16Viper68

Postby F16Viper68 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:36 pm

It's been awhile but I've decided it's time to take this project to the next level. The frame, swing arm, and other pieces are in need of restoration. So today was dedicated to taking the bike down to the frame so I can get it to a powercoater this week.

Started with this.

In progress shots:

Dave...

F16Viper68

Postby F16Viper68 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:37 pm

Everything came back from the powercoaters. It looks pretty good IMHO. I did discover during the process I going to have replace the races in the steering neck. The chrome surface was wiped out during the sandblasting process. Also the rear shock bushings in the swingarm were destroyed during the baking process. Both parts are on order and have shipped. I can't wait to start putting this thing back together.

Dave...

F16Viper68

Postby F16Viper68 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:38 pm

The reassembly has begun. I'm trying to get back to a rolling chassis before I forget where everything goes. :lol:

New springs and plastic cover for the centerstand.

I made a mistake when I took the front end apart nearly in one piece. It was never going back together that way so I had to take it apart off the bike...not fun.

The front is pretty much back together minus the headlight glass.

Before (rear brake pivot):

After (rear brake pivot):

Rear swing arm, shocks, and rear tire installed.

This is my stopping point for tonight. In the next few days I'll work on the air box, battery box, rear fender, and tail light assembly.

Dave...

Return to “Show it off”