It runs! Now for the laundry list...

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

jmuhockeyfan

It runs! Now for the laundry list...

Postby jmuhockeyfan » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:36 pm

So recently I purchased a 1980 honda cb650. It wasn't running, but the engine wasn't seized. After replacing the battery and a couple of fuses, I got the bike running (just started a little while ago!). Took it out for a test drive to see what kind of shape she was in, and am realizing that I've got some work to do to. here is what I have noticed so far

Front brake does not work when I try to use it
Throttle is sticky
Speedometer does not work
Tail light does not work
Exhuast only out left tailpipe

The front break will be a fun fix. For now the rear works, but I know that I need both brakes to stop! I believe it just needs new fluid, as there doesn't look to be any. As for the throttle, this was interesting. Without me touching the throttle, the bike goes up to 3000rpm. As soon as I disengage the clutch it goes right back down and acts like it should. I'm not quite sure how to go about fixing this problem. Speedometer should be easy, tail light just has to be hooked up, and exhaust I have not the slightest idea.

Picture to come very soon!!! Any suggestions on how to fix it would be appreciated!

Volker_P

Re: It runs! Now for the laundry list...

Postby Volker_P » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:55 am

jmuhockeyfan wrote:Exhuast only out left tailpipe

This means it does not run on all four permanenly? Check all headers to be equally hot. No reasonable idle behaviour in such a case.

For speedometer check cable first.

No brake fluid is bad news. Probably means it leaked out due to bad caliper seals. Have a look for possible dissolved paint at the caliper region, brake fluid is somewhat aggressive.
Probably nothing to be fixed by just filling in brake fluid, better have a look in there.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

jqcaffeine

Postby jqcaffeine » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:04 pm

For speedometer check cable first.

Yup. My speedometer just stopped working mid-ride last week, and I discovered that the cable had broken inside its sheath (most likely due to under-lubrication). Replaced for $20 new.
No more runnin'. I am to misbehave. -Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:04 am

Yes, good idea to lubricate all cables when you get a bike. You never know when (or if ? :lol: ) this had been done before.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Show it off”