Wren's project- the Wenchie 650

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Wren

Wren's project- the Wenchie 650

Postby Wren » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:03 am

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c332/ ... hie%20650/

Introduced myself in the general section.

Above is a link to pics of the project I've got going for the woman of the house. 1979 CB650. I'll post more pics as the bike moves through it's modifications and fabrications.

I guess I should give a little more thought to doing before and after pics. The tank and fenders were in pretty bad shape to begin with. Prodigious amounts of rust and dents. I'll try to pay more attention to the before/after concept.

Wren

Volker_P

Re: Wren's project- the Wenchie 650

Postby Volker_P » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:29 am

Lots of work but not too bad. On the pictures even the front fender does not look that bad.
How does your tank look from inside? You need a real clean tank to avoid lengthy fights with the carbs (they come out a real pain). If you don't get it perfectly clean, consider to install a fine enough inline filter. The filter screen at the petcock is too coarse and therefore insufficient!

I agree the before/after pictures are interesting. Took lots when I got my house. Partly today I can't believe how it looked some years ago.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Wren

Postby Wren » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:40 am

Surprisingly, the inside of the tank was clean. It still got the treatment and will get it again before final install.

Filters are standard procedure on every bike I build. No matter how much effort you put in there's always the possibility of something getting into the tank at some point and I just filter by default.

I should have taken some before pics of the tank and fenders. Took a whole lotta dolly and hammer work to straighten them puppies out.

The rear fender is gonna see more work. It's gonna wind up wrapping itself behind the tire with different lighting mounted on it. Right now I just wanted to get it beat back into shape and covered with paint to protect it. What it's gonna wind up looking like will depend on how the woman wants the seating built.

Wren

cb650

Postby cb650 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:20 am

She's not ugly just homely. :lol:
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

rlrobian

Postby rlrobian » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:50 am

Wren,
Looks like a nice project, pretty similiar to the one I've got comming in a couple of weeks. From the pictures I like the way your paint came out on both the body parts and the frame. Would you take a couple of minutes and explain what you did, and the products you used?
Thanks and good luck with the bike.
RL

Wren

Postby Wren » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:34 pm

Got curious as to what I was building so I stuck some parts on the 650 to see where its going. This thing is really giving me some ideas but I gotta run 'em by Wenchie. It's her bike so she gets the final word.

Gotta do a serious redesign of the rear fender so I didn't stick it on. That's gonna wind up wrapping down behind the rear tire.

Added more pics to my pic link for those that wanna see what I done did.

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c332/ ... hie%20650/

Wren

Wren

Postby Wren » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:45 pm

rlrobian wrote:Wren,
Looks like a nice project, pretty similiar to the one I've got comming in a couple of weeks. From the pictures I like the way your paint came out on both the body parts and the frame. Would you take a couple of minutes and explain what you did, and the products you used?
Thanks and good luck with the bike.
RL

Sorry, didn't see your post til now.

This is all done on the cheap. Lotta Bondo in the tins covered with Rustoleum Sandable Black Primer.

The frame I just shot with Rustoleum Hi Gloss Black and the tins were shot with Duplicolor Metallic Retro Red followed up with Rustoleum Clearcoat.

The metallic just doesn't show in the pics but when we took the parts out in the sun there was a real WOW factor. Didn't expect the look that came out.

Actually, with all the paint equipment I have I'm plain impressed with the way the rattlecan paint came out. Once I get Wenchie's bike finished I'm gonna reshoot my Wingthing with Duplicolor's metallic grey and if it turns out as well as this 650 is I may have a yard sale of my paint equipment.

Wren

wingman

Postby wingman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:23 am

Check out the Spray Max 2K high gloss clear. It is advertised as being the same product as sold in the pro paint stores and to be just as hard and chemical resistant. I have some on hand now and will personally test it in the next month or so.

Return to “Show it off”