Here is what $500 got me.

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Todd Richards

Here is what $500 got me.

Postby Todd Richards » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:43 pm

All

This is the bike i got just befor the Christmas holiday, traveled from Ohio to North Carolina to get it. I thought it was in very good cosmetic condition for five hundred bucks? Was garage filler for many years.. wouldn't start & front brake system was a complete mess. I got it running now, but the carbs are in need of a much better cleaning/overhaul.

Whaddaya think? did i get a good deal?
Attachments
DSCN1230 (Small).jpg
DSCN1230 (Small).jpg (58.37 KiB) Viewed 7212 times

bolo79

Re: Here is what $500 got me.

Postby bolo79 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:54 pm

Todd Richards wrote:Whaddaya think? did i get a good deal?

You know you've done a great deal :wink: congrats :lol:

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:27 am

Complete, nice, engine running somehow, more or less intact 4-4, both side covers?
Sure this was a good deal! :D

Start with cleaning out the tank, then care for the carbs.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Todd Richards

Postby Todd Richards » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:13 am

Yep, both side covers & the exhaust system is in very good condition. I am debating having the header pipes only rechromed? both side covers, complete toolkit and original operators manual, both in the bag.

The previous owner had the tank relined ( i cleaned it before putting any fresh fuel into) when he tried to get it back up and running.The tires are a few years old but look brand new. no dents, very minor misc. scratches

The carbs are the main thing that are giving me fits. they were a mess, & somewhat still are... I was hoping to locate an aftermarket o-ring kit and put all new seals in as part of the rebuilding procedure. I suspect misbehaving seals may be the cause for faulty carburetor operation.?

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:09 am

Very nice!!!! Protect that tank!!!!
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:37 am

Todd Richards wrote: I am debating having the header pipes only rechromed?
The stock exhaust is one piece and has double walled headers. Nothing anybody will like to have in his chrome bath. The golden colour is from getting a bit hot at highway speed for a while. But still no deep blue from really hot.

Todd Richards wrote:
The carbs are the main thing that are giving me fits.
What are the symptoms?
Start with looking for cracks at the famous triple tees. Also verify that you have no air leaks.

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Todd Richards

Postby Todd Richards » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:09 am

Volker

thanks for the update regarding the exhaust. sounds like i wont be able to have the exhaust re-chromed....

Regarding the carburetors...
the cylinders heat up unevenly.. the # 3 cylinder is the worst, a little better is #4, # 1 & 2 are the same.. doesn't want to idle very well (even when warm) without some choke.

last night i did another ultrasoonic cleaning of the main jets and bodies. what i found was that all of the slow jets were clogged right down the middle. A heated bath in carb cleaner + ultrasonic made em look brand new!. I used the manual that you mentioned as reference & recleaned all the internal passages until the carb cleaner spray flowed freely! Gave a light oil coat to all parts (WD-40) upon reassembly. will bolt them back on tonight and see how it all goes?.... ( am somewhat imberrassed to admit that i missed the clogged slow jet passages when doing the initial cleaning) :roll:

Triple Tees?....

bolo79

Postby bolo79 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:25 am

Yes, the rubber part between the first and second carburetor and the third and fourth.Warning overpriced :x

Todd Richards

Postby Todd Richards » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:52 am

thats what i thought.. so then "triple tees" should include the fuel line tee?

The rubber tees on my carbs are cracked, but still in place. no fuel leaks thru them when fuel is in the carb.. the fuel line tee will be in need of o-ring replacement soon.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:00 am

Jets clogged again means you need to clean out the tank. Or/and install a fine enough inline filter. The petcock filter screen is too coarse.
Do that before you try again! Guess you already found out about the fun of multiple removal/installation of the carbs.

Here you are the "triple tees":

Return to “Show it off”