Honduki

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

The_Paragon

Re: Honduki

Postby The_Paragon » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:16 pm

I'd think the upper shock mount where it is would be stong enough to support the rear end. The rest of the tubing from there on back is going to support rider weight. Might be a problem is you're 500 lbs. Otherwise, I'd trust it.

I do have one problem with the whole build though... Its just too dang cool!

VII

Postby VII » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:49 pm

Chill out and stay focused. Extra support would be a good idea. Rather than from the bottom of the frame to the back of the seat tubes, you could probably get away with support going from the frame tab pictured to the rear area of the rop tubes. You're obviously a capable welder so try out several options; you can always grind it down and try again.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:40 am

VII wrote:you can always grind it down and try again.
I tend to disagree here. These thin-walled, weak motorcycle frames hold also by steel structure and not by simple steel mass. They are not suitable for multiple welding and grinding jobs. Things are much more reliable if the first weld fits. I would even say that smaller welds may be advantageous in such case.

For this reason e.g. for car repair welding in Germany weld seams are prohibited in favour of weld spots.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

plknny

Postby plknny » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:08 pm

I've got no problem with constructive criticism, but I do have a problem with people that try to be a smart ass. Its the same problem I have with stock motorcycles and fat women with small cars... they just piss me off. I agree with the comment about just holding my body weight (about 220lbs)I'm going to do some welding this weekend and ill add a bunch of new pics. The way to weld is to tach it into place with a few spot welds before you burn it in. Thats just basic welding knowledge
Attachments
cb07.jpg
Donor bike
cb07.jpg (64.03 KiB) Viewed 5354 times
cb06.jpg
New rear brake upgrade
cb06.jpg (46.54 KiB) Viewed 5354 times
cb05.jpg
New and old, axles lined up. Stock rear tire is the same size as the new front
cb05.jpg (53.71 KiB) Viewed 5354 times

trueblue

Postby trueblue » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:34 pm

I'm not trying to be a smart arse but you are going to have a lot of force on this tube in this direction and it will be prone to failure, if it was a new piece of Cromoly I wouldn't worry about it, but being a 30 year old piece of steel with an unknown amount of corrosion inside I have doubts on its ability to perform the task you are asking of it without added support and it will be difficult to add the extra support where it won't be visible. Extra support for your body weight would be easy to hide under the seat running forward to the frame backbone. BTW just because it looks good doesn't mean it will work good.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:25 am

I agree that this point might be a problem. Nevertheless I would expect no SMEF(*) here but it would start with easily visible bending. So still time for measures here if really required. :wink:

*Spontaneous Massive Existence Failure, known from Douglas Adams' Starship Titanic :lol:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

gojoego

Postby gojoego » Wed May 16, 2012 11:33 pm

That looks awesome! I have no idea about the soundness of the frame and all that but I like the retro fitting of the new on the old. I was thinking of trying to find a dual shock swing arm set up so I could get the disc break and a 17" wheel without having to deal with spokes.

Return to “Show it off”