Honduki

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

plknny

Honduki

Postby plknny » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:11 pm

So I've had a 82 cb650 for a few years that I got running and never got around to finishing. l picked up a 92 suzuki katana 1100 deal on craigslist that had no title and was layed down at a low speed. So I'm looking at a pile of parts next to a lost dream in my garage and BAM! I though of how cool it would be to have an aluminum swingarm, fully adjustable rear suspension, dual disk front brakes, and a fat ass rear disk. Suprisingly the swingarm and forks bolted right on. The new swingarm also streched the bike about 8 inches. Its still a work in progress and still have a lot of work left to do. I recently figured out a new rear brake pedal/ master cylinder mount. Now all I need is turn signals (probably all LED), battery mount, mount electronics, seat, chain, rear exhaust supports (gonna be aluminum). Then all I need to do is take the bike completely apart, paint, polish, and hopefully powdercoat. Ill post more/ better pics later and please don't be like my wife and just roll your eyes.
Attachments
cb02.jpg
Yea buddy
cb02.jpg (69.87 KiB) Viewed 10864 times
cb01.jpg
So far so good
cb01.jpg (70.32 KiB) Viewed 10864 times

Volker_P

Re: Honduki

Postby Volker_P » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:14 am

Welcome here! :D

Very intersting "recycle" project!

From the goemetry i'd say this bike will run straight ahead very well but may be difficult in corners. As already the weak, stock rear brake tends to block easily, be very careful with the rear disk. Well, the longer rear may provide some stability, too

As you cut of the frame triangle: I thing this was hasty as you'll need something like that. I.e. a tube from the bottom to somewhere on the cut tube behind the new center swing arm mount. I think the two small frame tubes to the rear won't carry the load for long.

The stock turn signal needs the proper load (2x21W each side) relay and won't work with LED's. You'll need a load independent relay or you may use hidden bulbs as dummy load to make the stock flasher relay work properly.

I would also consider to use stainless steel instead of alumina for the exhaust supports. Alumina is poor with regard to vibrations and multiple bending.

The chain will have a considerable free length and should be really safe from flying off and smash your leg or block your rear wheel. Make sure the sprockets line up exactly. Possibly at this free lenght guides or/and rollers are a good idea to avoid dangerous slack problems.

Good luck and keep us informed! :)
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

plknny

Postby plknny » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:01 pm

Hasty wouldn't be the way describe the frame chop. It took me almost 3 weeks to commit. When I was looking at the frame triangle it seemed to be there because it was the top mount for the shocks as well as the seat. I added a piece of 3/4"OD 1/8 walled steel pipe with 1/8" steel plate tabs to support the new mono shock. I ran out of welding wire but will be adding 1/8" steel gussets as shown by the cardboard. The bent piece of 3/4" goes into the frame tube about 2". The swing arm seems to be mounted to a pretty ridged part of the frame and should hold it just fine. The part I do need to add to is the lower shock mount on the swingarm. Good call on the led lights. Ill probably end up getting a new relay. As for the exhaust brackets, I plan on using 1/4" thick aluminum, 2 bolts to the frame and a rubber gromet between the exhaust tab and the bracket. I can even add rubber between the frame and exhaust bracket to protect it more. I'm pretty set on the aluminum as I'm trying to save as much weight as possible. Just the swingarm and wheels alone saved me close to 50lbs.
Attachments
cb03.jpg
cb03.jpg (66.42 KiB) Viewed 10840 times

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:32 am

You seem to have good confidence into these thin frame tubes.
The shock mount is not that much to the rear as I considered from the above picture. Nevertheless, I would recomment to at least weld gusset triangles into the corner of the former triangle. And maybe at the front edges of the horizontal shock mount tube, too.

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

bolo79

Postby bolo79 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:38 pm

Welcome.Just out of the box;Did you use the original steering head and katana's forks,or has all the front been transplanted?
Volker_P wrote:Nevertheless, I would recomment to at least weld gusset triangles into the corner of the former triangle
Eight more inches makes quite a lever.It looks like that very high tension will be focused in the corners of the frame which Volker was talking about. I guess gusset triangles is quite a good idea, just to be on the safe side.Cb frame 82 is not as rigid as the frame 92 katana is,it's 10-year difference in engineering.A bold project!I hope you finish soon. :)

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:44 am

bolo79 wrote:.Cb frame 82 is not as rigid as the frame 92 katana is,it's 10-year difference in engineering.

From my point of view, the frame/chassis status of the CB650 even is still late 1960's. Electrics, engine, exhaust, front brake and comstars are the newer components that make it preferrable to a 1969 CB750 for me.

plknny

Postby plknny » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:05 pm

How bout now? I still need to do the other side though. Hopefully I don't have to wait as long this time. As for the fork question, I used the katana bearings on the cb neck. The neck was the same length and diameter, but the bearing seat wasn't as tall. The tree just rides on a top cap that sits on top of the bearing. I couldn't get a good pic of it but there's just an 1/8" gap between the bearing and the tree. Also I had to cut the steering stop off of the cb frame. The cb had 1 stop on the neck and 2 on the fork. On the katana there is 1 stop on the fork and 2 on the neck. I also got a seat and rear fender...BAM
Attachments
cB1.jpg
cB1.jpg (64.37 KiB) Viewed 10726 times
cB.jpg
cB.jpg (55.18 KiB) Viewed 10726 times
Last edited by plknny on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:38 am

Yes, that's what I had in mind. :)

Sorry, I cannot really imagine that fork issue without a picture.

trueblue

Postby trueblue » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:23 am

Definately looks interesting, but I would also add some supports here.

plknny

Postby plknny » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Here's a pic of the steering stoper. The single post on the lower katana tree, it had 2 posts on the katana frame. The cb frame has...had a single post on the frame and 2 posts on the tree. I decided to cut from the frame because its steel and I can just weld 2 stoppers onto the frame. The tree is aluminum and i dont have the tools to weld it. Plus there was another stopper on the top of the neck that was in the way of where my ignition needs to be. Also while I'm at it, I noticed a hole on the top of the cylinder head on both sides that's been plugged with JB weld. WTF is this hole for and why is it plugged? As far as adding a support from the rear of the seat to the bottom of the frame triangle, I want to keep the spring as exposed as I can. It looks cooler without it and besides, I already cut that part off. I plan on adding more to the frame just not in such an obvious spot.
Attachments
cb4.jpg
cb4.jpg (43.75 KiB) Viewed 10658 times
cb5.jpg
cb5.jpg (41.86 KiB) Viewed 10658 times

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:43 am

Below the hole, there is a cylinder head cover bolt. It should carry a copper washer as it goes through the outer camshaft bearing housing with full oil pressure. So probably it leaked there and it was just plugged with JBweld. You have to get out that stuff for access to the bolt once you want to take off the head cover. I would leave it like that for the moment as long as it is tight there and at the cover below. :wink:

trueblue

Postby trueblue » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:23 am

Ok it is your call on the extra prop, but that frame will be prone to cracking just under the gusset you put in, it is a lot of load on a little tube, if the frame cracks and you end up sliding down the road on your face, you and the bike will look really cool, just remember it is your life you're gambling on the strength of a 30 year old piece of tube that is too small for the job your asking of it.

plknny

Postby plknny » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:15 pm

I bet its strong enough to make it to your house. Then you can see how cool I look when I knock your fuckn teeth out. I've been riding for years and have been down more than once. I don't need to hear about it from you.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:44 pm

:lol: so much for a civil discussion.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

trueblue

Postby trueblue » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:10 am

It's amazing how some people can't take a little constructive criticism :roll: , and I'll welcome you to ride your bike to my house, I hope it can swim because you have a lot of water to cover. I don't care how long you have been riding and how many times you have nearly written yourself off, you obviously have no idea of the forces that act on the rear suspension of a bike and how they act on the steel of the surrounding frame. All I can say is good luck to you. :) Darwins theory in action ^^^^^

Return to “Show it off”