"Project Black Lightning"

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

diverdeuce

"Project Black Lightning"

Postby diverdeuce » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:22 am

Bought it off a guy for $150 no title, clean VIN, not reported stolen... it's in rough shape so it'll make for a interesting project. Any idea why it would have 4-2 pipes instead of 4-4? Maybe a reduced effect bike?

Last edited by diverdeuce on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Volker_P

Re: Bought a 1981 CB650C for $150 but it has 4-2 pipes...

Postby Volker_P » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:31 am

Welcome here! :D

This looks like really much work. Exhaust would be a minor problem for me.

Moreover for me this bike looks like it has crashed, e.g. the fork looks possibly bent. From the length, this is not a custom fork either.
Make sure the frame is still intact around the steering and the front disks are planar and both comstars are not distorted. Check out if both sprockets are still in line, rear swingarm may be bend, too.
Even the rear shock does not look really straight, but his may be a *.jpg effect due to the spring.

Rear upper engine mount is missing. This is a long bolt similar to the bottom bolt but a bit thinner. Besides the bolt, you also miss the metal triangle to the frame.

I'd say something to check out carefully for useability and then play around without scruple to make any interesting, inventive project. But no good basis to bring back to stock.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

diverdeuce

Postby diverdeuce » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:20 pm

The angle of the pic is kinda odd it's hard to tell but the bike is canted ever so slightly. As I can tell the bike was dropped on its left side and the stator cover is cracked. I've pulled the engine and haven't seen any other cracks (yet)...

Did I mention this is my first motorcyce?

The tank is pretty banged up I've stripped down most of the paint... just have to get through all the bondo and try to get the dents out.
You can see the crack on the stator cover.

Can't really see it but the ignition was drilled out as well as the gas tank.

On a good note the electrics work and the motor is not ceased...

This is going to be a massive project...

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:42 am

diverdeuce wrote:This is going to be a massive project...
Sure.

What are you going to do? Be sure there are pretty cheap non-runners in great shape. With regard to the parts you need, I would consider to get another 1981(!) CB650C and make one out of two. Probably the cheapest solution if you don't have something special in mind with this bike.

BTW, the stator cover holds the plug of the main oil gallery. Don't even try to crank with the starter without it!

Handlebars are kinked, and I am quite sure the fork is, too. Verify frame, too.
How does this tank look from inside?

Maybe you should try to make someone with some experience have a look at this bike. :wink:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

diverdeuce

Postby diverdeuce » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:18 pm

The tanks is pretty crappy on the inside but thats ok, found a nice replacement online. The bar is not original its a drag bar, that's being replaced with a clubman bar. Forks don't seem to have any kinda of kinks or bows to them.

First thing's first is getting the engine running.

diverdeuce

Re: "Project Black Lightning"

Postby diverdeuce » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:02 am

A blurry preview of what's to come...

Return to “Show it off”