1981 CB-PITA

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

5.4L to Freedom

1981 CB-PITA

Postby 5.4L to Freedom » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:29 pm

Well there she is, the cause of endless forum hopping and advice seeking. Despite all the headaches and the 'mile long' problem list, she still is getting me around on 2 wheels.

1981 CB650 K, 8,736 miles on the clock. Partially restored~ new rims, pipes, shocks, fork seals, cafe bars, mirrors, and a handful of small parts. Paint on the tank is beautiful. Now all I need is a new motor and to powder coat the frame and she's done! LED's should be going on soon :)
Dr. SOHC650... former rider I got sick of fixin my CB so I bought a Harley and fix everyone elses...

Chris

Re: 1981 CB-PITA

Postby Chris » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:05 am

Alright! Lookin' good. :)
1980 CB650c

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:58 am

Looks good!
Why do you want to tear apart everything to powder coat the frame? Is this really necessary? I'd be happy to have it running in one piece, especially the electrics. Well, at least you know where to ask. :roll:
BTW, if you really don't need them, I could make use of an unscratched front fender and chain guard. :lol:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

5.4L to Freedom

Postby 5.4L to Freedom » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:03 am

I can part with the chain guard, but the front fender is off because it intermittently rubs on the tire? I figured once I get new forks I'll throw it back on. The frame has some rust on it, and is driving me nuts! So I figured I can powder coat it this winter when the entire thing is ripped down to nothing. I plan on keeping it for a while, so a gunmetal silver framw would look good on the metallic black. I have orange/ amber led light kit to go in, and I'm thinking about putting the spoke wheels back on. Powder coat the rims black and put some high-polish chrome spokes in... I think she'll be dead sexy! Not to mention the black engine with high-polish aluminum panels... this bike has hope =]
Dr. SOHC650... former rider I got sick of fixin my CB so I bought a Harley and fix everyone elses...

brando

Postby brando » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:22 am

that would look dead sexy. you'll have to make sure to post some after pix when you get her done. i would think one of those little cafe farings would look right at home on there with your cafe bars. might keep some bugs out of your teeth too.
1980 cb650c aka dogg nuttz keep the rubber side down. if i build it, it will work

5.4L to Freedom

Postby 5.4L to Freedom » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:00 am

Not gonna lie, the thought has crossed my mind... I am just hesitant to buy one because I'm not sure if I like them yet. As for bugs in the teeth... I took my windshield off becasue I felt it looked stupid.

If you can't handle shit hitting you... get a moped!

Anyhow, do any of you guys have 'not-stock' seats? The seats from the '70's and '80s irritate me, but I don't know what else I can put on there. The only other thing that irritates me is the rear license plate / taillight assembly. However I'm saving up for the mack 4-1 setup so I can mount my plate on the rear axle.

Tell ya what though, for the era, I think we have some of the sharpest bieks made! My roomate has an '85 Yamaha Maxim X and every time I look at it I cringe... seriously, the styling is so hideous I feel violated every time I look at it. No offense nighthawk guys, but those bikes aren't much better!

The CB650 however, if handled right has a smooth form, and a mean stance. We just need more metal and less seat!

brando

Postby brando » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:12 pm

jc whitney has a touring seat for our bikes, it goes on the stock seat pan, i had one on my 81 virago and it was a LOT better than the stocker. i'm gonna get one for this bike when funds permit. the faring i was talkin about is more like what you would find on a bullet bike as opposed to one of those old school kind or even a standard windshield. there's a pic of one in the tech discussion under fairing. other than that seat from whitney i think our options are limited to fabrication. if you want to go that way i could probably help you out with the fabrication part, just send me a pm and we'll work something out
1980 cb650c aka dogg nuttz keep the rubber side down. if i build it, it will work

Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:16 pm

When you find a new seat, I might be interested in your old one. :wink:
1980 CB650c

Return to “Show it off”