Project Hobber - Bigg's Big Adventure

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Bigg

Re: Project Hobber - Bigg's Big Adventure

Postby Bigg » Tue May 21, 2013 7:20 pm

up wid ye! Not dead, just got really busy with work as we're expanding and doing a phone system upgrade. FINALLY started the tear down after getting some of the junk out of my garage (as you can see, lots left)

So with a can of lubricating oil and tools here's what I got accomplished this evening;

- highway pegs and mounts off
- chrome carrier mounts and chrome seat bar off
- seat off and battery out (looks perfect other than the fact it's been sitting for 10 years :lol: )
- tank off (this was fun, lubricating oil came in handy getting that petcock working again, 5 mins after soaking it worked like new!
- laughed my ass off at air filter cover and tried to remember why the hell I thought this helped.. I dunno..young, dumb and full of stupid ideas. That's not right...

stuff I noticed

- hand break is proper fubar, cable was snapped in accident and bent
- choke is broken too and is the speedo cable
- my god the tires on this are bald... why/how did I drive it like this :oops:
- as seen in pic below, I've got oil coming out the side of it on the site she was dropped on. That looks fun.
- a lot of surface rust :cry:
- frame seems to be ok on visual inspection, the forks look like they took the brunt of the accident.
- rim looks ok, but will do closer inspection.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed May 22, 2013 3:11 am

In fact some here report their bikes run better without even the complete air filter cover.
So possibly not that stupid. :wink:

If forks are bent, check out the brake disks, too. As we talk about stupid, possibly you may like to try to straighten your fork similarly like this crazy guy here. :lol:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

Bigg

Postby Bigg » Wed May 22, 2013 9:41 am

I'll post some pictures when I get them off. I'm sure there is damage to the rim and brake discs. I need to get some gloves. My hands were completely covered in grease, oil and dirt. :lol: Not that it's a bad thing.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu May 23, 2013 1:27 am

Yes, gloves are great to wear during eating and other things that must not get into contact with the stuff on your hands in "normal condition". :lol:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

Pinhead

Postby Pinhead » Thu May 23, 2013 9:06 am

As Volker said, the filter cover "mod" may have made the bike run better.

My '79 runs better with no filter cover (with bigger jets). Many people with CV carbs report that their bikes run better with a less-restrictive plenum and factory jetting.

A little off-topic, but what kind of phone system upgrade are you doing? I just oversaw a phone upgrade at work -- we opened a new corporate office and installed VoIP phones running over the data network back to the main building.

Bigg

Postby Bigg » Thu May 23, 2013 9:35 am

Got an hour in last night, got the front brakes off and bled the brake lines (though there was not much left). I started taking off the headlight and disconnecting the signals from the forks, but was feeling wiped after a long day at work, so I decided to start the drain the bowls... Got the first screw out and pitch black liquid came out. :cry: I decided to plug it back up because I'd probably lose track of time and be out there till the wee hours. I'll be working on the draining all of them this evening after I get some nitrile gloves as it's taking me 5 minutes to get all the grease/dirt/grime off.

We're migrating our CS1000M to an 1000E HA (redundant offsite core, redundant MAS servers and Avaya CCMS servers, etc). It's currently a four cabinet monster that was an option 61c in it's previous life. They're side by side right now and we're building the new one (minus a few cards that need to be migrated over). We're running 5 sites off one switch currently connected in via dedicated LAN extensions that's a mix of TDM sets and VOIP. Sounds like you know all about the fun of doing this type of stuff. :lol: Which is why it's going to be nice to escape to my bike in the evenings when I get it up and running.

bubbachicken

Postby bubbachicken » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:05 pm

...and what happened???? AAArrgghh!!!! :evil: Did she turn into a great bike again, or did she fall into the spare parts heap?? :?:

Return to “Show it off”