Project Hobber - Bigg's Big Adventure

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Bigg

Re: Project Hobber - Bigg's Big Adventure

Postby Bigg » Wed May 23, 2012 8:55 am

Finally got it home and in my garage. I'm not sure if the neighbours saw me, but I sat on it in my garage for a bit remembering all the time I spent driving on it and I had the biggest smile on my face. Then I looked down at the bent forks, dent and remembered the accident. :x

Picking up a decent digital camera tonight and taking some before pics and uploading them. The years haven't been that kind to her, but it's going to be a fun project.

* was thinking, could we get a project subforum to put posts regarding builds/rebuilds/updates on or would go in the bikes forum?

Bigg

Postby Bigg » Wed May 23, 2012 5:36 pm

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed May 23, 2012 6:43 pm

Looks good. I can't wait to see the progress!
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Bigg

Postby Bigg » Wed May 23, 2012 8:42 pm

Going to disassemble the ignition tomorrow and get the code off of it and send away for a key :lol:

While I'm waiting, I'll complete the recommended prep before I try and turn her over. Plus I'll have some time to clean the tank! :D

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu May 24, 2012 1:40 am

Good to have some "before" pictures.

Bigg wrote:* was thinking, could we get a project subforum to put posts regarding builds/rebuilds/updates on or would go in the bikes forum?

Several people just start in the "show it off" section at the "before" status and add progress there.
I could move this thread there if you like.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

cb650

Postby cb650 » Thu May 24, 2012 4:46 am

Bigg what year Jimmy did you have?
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Bigg

Postby Bigg » Thu May 24, 2012 6:05 am

Volker_P wrote:I could move this thread there if you like.

If you would, thank you and I'll just post questions to technical forum.

cb650 wrote:Bigg what year Jimmy did you have?

It's actually a 2010 Jeep Patriot if you're referring to my ride. The other is my room-mates Lumina :lol:

plknny

Postby plknny » Sun May 27, 2012 7:42 am

Not a bad start. I would double check and make sure the frame and forks arn't bent before you get too carried away. I don't want to crush the dream but something up front doesn't look right. Hopefully its just be the handle bars that got twisted up. Forks can be replaced but if that frame is tweaked it can't really be fixed.

Bigg

Postby Bigg » Sun May 27, 2012 1:00 pm

Oh forks are fubar (as pictures showed it, notice in the pics one with the wheel straight and then with the handlebars straight). The crash was at about 40kms/hr into the side of a truck (got cut off), so hopefully *crossing fingers* it was only the forks that were bent. It came down on the roll bars and laid down on her right side.

With the forks being bent, I'm wondering can I accurately gauge if the frame is bent?

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Mon May 28, 2012 5:52 am

Basically the thing to do is look for kinks at the frame around the steering.
Also be careful with the triple tees. Investigate them for possible cracks.
If everything about the fork is all right again, you will see if it runs straight or wants to go to one side.
In this case - and if nothing is kinked - you may live with it or the steering head may be bend back however this requires stripping the frame and some good idea how to bend it.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

cb650

Postby cb650 » Mon May 28, 2012 7:49 am

Bigg you stated in another post you used to have a old GMC (jimmy) truck. Just askin what year it was.
I have a couple old chevy trucks and used to work at a place that thats all we did old chev and gmc trucks.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Bigg

Postby Bigg » Mon May 28, 2012 7:53 am

cb650 wrote:Bigg you stated in another post you used to have a old GMC (jimmy) truck. Just askin what year it was.
I have a couple old chevy trucks and used to work at a place that thats all we did old chev and gmc trucks.

Oh oh oh, brainfart. :oops:

I had an old 1992 GMC 1500 SLE (extended cab) which I gave to my father cause he wanted to restore it and have a work truck for himself. He's since stripped it down to the frame, painted it and is in the process of putting it back together. I figure it would get him out of my mom's hair since he's recently retired.

I loved that truck....miss it but it's found a good home. :)

Bigg

Postby Bigg » Mon May 28, 2012 8:07 am

I will probably post a video so you guys can see when I inspect the triple trees so I can get a second opinion.

plknny

Postby plknny » Mon May 28, 2012 9:16 am

Your best bet to check a frame is to google it. There's a few different methods to do it and it can get pretty involved. I would start by taking off those forks though, there trash anyway. All there gonna do is decieve you when looking at the frame. You can check the trees with a straight edge. While your at it you should double check that front wheel too. For that your gonna need to take off the tire and use a level across both edges on both sides on a level surface. Might be a little overkill, but it will be worth it in the long run. Oh and don't forget to check ALL and any welds for hairline cracks. I had a front wheel pretty much fall off while hitting a 2nd gear turn. The quad rolled and I smashed a tree causing a concussion, broken arm and 2 ribs. The quad had been wrecked before and had a hairline crack in a weld that held the front hub to the A arm. The moral of this story is check everything and after that... Check it again!!

Bigg

Postby Bigg » Mon May 28, 2012 11:48 am

plknny wrote:Your best bet to check a frame is to google it. There's a few different methods to do it and it can get pretty involved. I would start by taking off those forks though, there trash anyway. All there gonna do is decieve you when looking at the frame. You can check the trees with a straight edge. While your at it you should double check that front wheel too. For that your gonna need to take off the tire and use a level across both edges on both sides on a level surface. Might be a little overkill, but it will be worth it in the long run. Oh and don't forget to check ALL and any welds for hairline cracks. I had a front wheel pretty much fall off while hitting a 2nd gear turn. The quad rolled and I smashed a tree causing a concussion, broken arm and 2 ribs. The quad had been wrecked before and had a hairline crack in a weld that held the front hub to the A arm. The moral of this story is check everything and after that... Check it again!!

wow that's nuts. Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Return to “Show it off”