Cant believe I did it !

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

funky19

Cant believe I did it !

Postby funky19 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:21 pm

I have always wanted a bike and 2 years ago I finnally got my wish!

I bought this 82 CB650 for $800.00 it ran but it leaked oil... after the problem went from bad to worse, i mustered up the courage to fix er up... I havent done much work like this.

I took the engine apart and replaced the upper and lower headgaskets and other parts along the way. Initially I had taken it to a shop to get a quote and the shop and they told me it would run me about $2,500... 5 months and $400ish later I was done...well sort of.

All of the cosmetics on the bike were done by a previous owner...

I am looking to continue to make changes to the bike. The first thing I want to do is put on some forward controls... anyone have any great suggestions?

Also:
- PODS... do they provide extra power ?
- What else do you have to do when you put the pods on ?
- sync the carbs... how is it done ?

Thanks
Attachments
Nicks Phone 558.jpg
Nicks Phone 558.jpg (229.22 KiB) Viewed 4781 times
Nicks Phone 332.jpg
Nicks Phone 332.jpg (164.13 KiB) Viewed 4781 times
Nicks Phone 329.jpg
Nicks Phone 329.jpg (205.79 KiB) Viewed 4781 times

Volker_P

Re: Cant believe I did it !

Postby Volker_P » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:19 am

Welcome here! :D

Bike looks good.
However the shock springs look strange. Very strange. Never seen that. Probably someone cut longer springs in a poor manner.
Fits well to the uncut exhaust mounts. Seems this guy had some cosmetic sense but no real technical understanding. Be prepared for further surprises like that.
E.g. like the rear signals cable that should be below the frame tansverse instead above it to be off from the seat and possible overload there.
Shifter rubber is missing, will scratch your boots.

funky19 wrote:Also:
- PODS... do they provide extra power ?

Especially to your arms as pulling the carbs for multiple rejetting experiments is a pain. :lol:
As they are also unfavourable in the wet I would leave it like that when it just runs fine now.

funky19 wrote:- What else do you have to do when you put the pods on ?

Together with that exhaust, I would assume you need to rejet. Less critical for your bike than if it had the PD carbs, but probably necessary, too.

funky19 wrote:- sync the carbs... how is it done ?

A vacuum synchronization should not be done before everything else is set all right.
A visual synchronization is sufficient for reasonable running behaviour. For the CV carbs this means the four throttle butterflies open simultaneously to the same, tiny gap when you turn in the manual idle knob. Adjustment is done referring to #2 (with the accelerator pump) as this one is not adjustable. However you need to pull the carbs for that.

BTW, always a good idea to check out if your tank is clean inside. Origin of several problems and lengthy threads here. :wink:

Have fun! :D
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

funky19

Postby funky19 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:30 am

Thanks!

The springs look like they were heated to lower the bike....

ghetto I know... although it doesnt look that grteat ...it rides well.

trueblue

Postby trueblue » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:18 am

funky19 wrote:Thanks!

The springs look like they were heated to lower the bike....

ghetto I know... although it doesnt look that grteat ...it rides well.
If they have been heated get them off the bike quick smart, they can become brittle and snap.

Return to “Show it off”