'80 CB650 Bobber project

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Tactical

'80 CB650 Bobber project

Postby Tactical » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:58 pm

Paid $600 for her. It's a 1980 CB650 with 15K miles.

My plans include a solo seat, bobbing the fenders, flatter bars and reworking the rear suspension and frame, so that the shocks and frame "flow" from the tank in a straight-ish line like a hardtail bobber.

But before I start this I need to get it running perfectly. The battery is toast, so I need to test the charging system. The two carbs on the right side are leaking, I'm hoping it's just sticky floats. Needs new tires. It seems to be pretty cold blooded, takes a while to warm up and will hesitate and bog until it's been running for a few minutes, is that pretty normal for this bike? Once it warms up it runs great.

Also I'd like to add some pods/open type air filters. Should I go ahead and order rebuild kits or gasket kits since I'm going to have to rejet anyway? And would you replace the floats while you were inside just to be safe since you have them apart or am I asking for trouble? Where's a good source for carb kits and jets?

Also I've seen those round faux oil canisters that guys use to hide their electronics in, has anyone used those with a CB650? Will everything fit in there?

I'm sure I'll have a million other questions, but for now I'm going to concentrate on checking he charging system and getting the carbs fixed up and jetted properly with pods before I start stripping it down. I'm glad I found this site, it seems very informative and looks like there are a lot of knowledgeable members here.

Scott
Last edited by Tactical on Fri May 18, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are sheep, there are wolves, I am the sheepdog

nitroeagle

Re: Just bought my first street bike

Postby nitroeagle » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:24 pm

These things are cold blooded, take a bit to warm up. I would at least get float bowl gaskets if you're taking them apart. I don't know when you plan on adding pod filters, but you'll need to jet the carbs. You might as well jet them when you take 'em apart so you only need to once. As for parts, check z1 enterprises, jc whitney, dennis kirk, dime city cycle(a lot of honda aprts plus cafe'/bobber parts), cycle exchange to name a few. Looks like you have a good starting point, good luck.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:18 am

Welcome here, Scott! :D

Money sems all rigth for a low mileage runner.

Tactical wrote: It seems to be pretty cold blooded, takes a while to warm up and will hesitate and bog until it's been running for a few minutes, is that pretty normal for this bike? Once it warms up it runs great.
Yes, this is normal.

Tactical wrote: Also I'd like to add some pods/open type air filters.

Please have a look at the very good info of emy111 in the 79 cb650 carb jetting question thread.

Tactical wrote: And would you replace the floats ..

As long as they still float: no.
BTW, don't mix up (moving) parts between different carbs when you are in there.

Tactical wrote: I'm sure I'll have a million other questions, ...

In this forum the answer is not 42 but clean out your tank!. :lol:

Have fun! :)
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Tactical

Postby Tactical » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:16 am

Thanks for the advice. I tried a search but " clean tank" was too common a term to let the search function run...

What's the best way to go about cleaning the tank? I will definitely do that first.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:43 am

Good idea. :)

Please have a look here for some suggestions: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1411

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

adam80

Postby adam80 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:08 am

Looks great!! I also paid $600 for mine and yours looks to be in a little better shape. Great buy! Mine is the custom but yours is the first one I've seen with the same tank as mine (clean your tank! :wink: )

Also, check the resistance across the charging rotor while cold and once warmed up. Mine read 4.5Ω in my driveway, but after running it for 20 minutes or so the windings came loose and the &@#^ing thing would short out completely. Burned through two batteries, an R/R and several connectors trying to figure that one out...

It's fixed now though and running great.
1980 CB650 Custom

Tactical

Postby Tactical » Mon May 14, 2012 6:41 pm

Adam, thanks for the K&Ns! I re-jetted to 120 main and 42 slows, cleaned the carbs out and set the air mixture screws to two turns out and she starts right up and runs like champ!

Now I can start tearing it down...I have a pretty cool idea for the rear suspension. I bought a mono shock from a Ninja 600 because the spring is rated to be used without a linkage and I'm going to try to hide the shock as best I can under the seat, sort of like this guy did on this zuk.... http://freethewheels.blogspot.com/2012/ ... obber.html

Okay I'll admit...that bike is my inspiration!
Last edited by Tactical on Fri May 18, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue May 15, 2012 1:54 am

Good progress! :)

So you might also like to have a look at the Honduki project of member plknny.
And moreover on the comments on frame triangles and stability. :wink:

Tactical

Postby Tactical » Tue May 15, 2012 5:51 am

well that was an...interesting...read. Not a big fan of the look he went for, but to each their own.

My design will have the load forces generated by the suspension directed straight into and in line with the top tube/ backbone of the frame, which seems to be the strongest part of the frame.

Thanks for the advice!

Tactical

Re: '80 CB650 Bobber project

Postby Tactical » Fri May 18, 2012 3:12 pm

Making some progress...

Got my headers wrapped. Used exactly 50'. Picked it up from a guy named "turboworks" on e-bay for $27 shipped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-Heat-He ... 3686wt_976

Also I ordered some spokes from http://www.buchananspokes.net/ to lace a 16" rear Harley rim to my Honda hub. They were $$$ but it's the only way I can run a 16" whitewall tire.

I'll keep updating with photos...

connrod

Postby connrod » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:55 am

have you heard it run with the sportster mufflers?

Tactical

Postby Tactical » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:58 pm

Yup, click on the video link 4 posts up.

I just picked up a sportster tank, a nice leather solo seat and a brand new 16" rim to lace onto the rear hub. As soon as I find the time I'm going to start the rear suspension build.

nitroeagle

Postby nitroeagle » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:40 pm

You wouldn't happen to have another vid of the exhaust? I wondered how that would look & sound. I like the look, wanted to know how loud it it. It's all relative, everyone likes it different. Just looking for an idea. Those mufflers can be had pretty cheap. Thanks

Tactical

Postby Tactical » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:07 pm

I don't have any more videos and it's all torn down to put new engine seals in right now. I don't think it's that loud at all and I am one of those guys who are annoyed by loud harley pipes when they are on harleys...I'd guess that they are a little louder than the stock pipes but they were on the bike when I bought it so I really have nothing to gauge it by. I really like the sound with them on. I'd say go for it.

Tactical

Postby Tactical » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:40 pm

Finally got some more time to work on her...stripped it down and cleaned of years of road grime and grease.

Tore into the motor to replace some leaky seals...

No turning back now!

Return to “Show it off”