1982 cb650sc - first bike YAY!

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

the_nighthawk_cometh

1982 cb650sc - first bike YAY!

Postby the_nighthawk_cometh » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Howdy cb650 clan, I know this should probably be put in the Show it off board, but I wanted to jump into the tech talk. I'm pretty noobish at mechanics but have been looking the cosky online manual and reading many pages on this tech board.

I bought this 82 cb650sc nighthawk for 800 clams, guy said just need electric work and showed me pics on his phone of all the other cleaning he has done with carbs and whatnot. All he said the problems were it needed a rectifier/regulator and stator. Now what I've been reading is the problems with the stator and regulator rectifier and I read about the rad trick with the 70s ford truck regulator and the 3 phase bridge rectifier. Found the VR730 regulator online at my nearest autozone for 27.99. I'll probably be buying this and the bridge rectifier from ebay soon.

I also read about the rotor being a culprit and if its bad the regulator/rectifier will go bad as well. I used a multimeter, set to Ohm and tested between the outer ring and inner ring. Got nothing back, but testing on the same rings, a reading of 3 showed up. I'm using an analog multimeter, to the left side of it has a small turning wheel for Ohm setting, it's all way down, where I believe it should be. When I turned it up, I got no readings on the same rings.

It has a peanut tank and I ahve the original tank as well, has a dent on top :(

I have to find a fuel kit, hoses, valve, I have one orignal piece, I'll post a pic of it. I'll have to figure out where all the hoses go onto the engine.

Alright, I'll quit typing already. Sorry if this is too long or if I posted in the wrong place but I'm excited to learn and hear back from you guys.

THANKS and PICS

onepieceatatime

Re: 1982 cb650sc - first bike YAY!

Postby onepieceatatime » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:53 pm

[quote="the_nighthawk_cometh"] I'm using an analog multimeter, to the left side of it has a small turning wheel for Ohm setting, it's all way down, where I believe it should be. When I turned it up, I got no readings on the same rings.
[quote]
Welcome,

To set the knob proberly, connect the tips of both leads to eachother. Adjust the knob until the needle points to 0. If it will not go to 0, replace batteries and/or leads and try again. Once meter is zeroed, take your measurements.
Folsoml wrote: Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. :lol:

1977 CB750K
1977 CB750K
1978 CB400A
1980 CB650C
1980 CB650
1982 CB900F
1982 CM450A
1997 GL1500SE

onepieceatatime

Postby onepieceatatime » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:05 pm

The rubber pieces at the red arrow should be between the lower tripple tree and the fork ears.
I would reccomend getting rid of the "fork brace" at the blue arrow and getting a fender or proper fork brace to replace it.
Folsoml wrote: Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. :lol:

1977 CB750K
1977 CB750K
1978 CB400A
1980 CB650C
1980 CB650
1982 CB900F
1982 CM450A
1997 GL1500SE

the_nighthawk_cometh

Postby the_nighthawk_cometh » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:14 pm

Thanks for the info, I did as you said, leads touching, and adjusted the needle to zero. Checked the rotor again, red lead on outer ring, black lead on inner ring, no movement on needle. Bad rotor eh?

I also have the front fender, the previous owner put some bondo all over it, so I'll be sanding it down. Now the rubber on the forks, should they be moving freely, because the right fork rubber is just sliding without any pressure when i'm moving it. I'm guessing they shouldn't, so these are in case you bottom out the front and these rubbers will stop them.

onepieceatatime

Postby onepieceatatime » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:26 pm

The rubber pieces go at the top and bottom of the fork ears.
There should be 4 of them, 2 on each side. PO put them in the wrong place when he had the forks off.

i should have used a different color, black is kind of hard to see.

1977 CB750K
1977 CB750K
1978 CB400A
1980 CB650C
1980 CB650
1982 CB900F
1982 CM450A
1997 GL1500SE

cb650

Postby cb650 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:56 pm

Yes those go on each end of the headlite brackets. One on top one on bottom. Inside the upper and lower triples.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:00 am

Welcome here! :D

this bike certainly has seen better times (sorry! :roll: ) but does not look too bad to fix it.
The four rubber rings on the fork are the dampers for the headlight mounts. As correctly indicated by the black arrow on black groud, yeah! :lol:
Note that the 1982 fork is 37mm while earlier forks were 35mm in case you look for replacements.

The single part is the vacuum shutoff. No real need to insert it again.
You may look up the carb related hoses here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4036
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4162

The 4-4 seems cut and welded again a bit shorter.
The rear "shocks" differ a bit from the stock ones and might show slighly reduced damping performance... :roll:
Lots of parts missing.
Just in case you should have clutch problems, the clutch ever looks quite close to the grip. This might just look like that from the angle, however.

So far for now, looks like you will come back soon with more questions (which is all right).
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

the_nighthawk_cometh

Postby the_nighthawk_cometh » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:43 am

Thank you Volker for the awesome links and the correct info on the mm size of my forks which will help me alot. Now the previous owner gave me the original shocks as well and I do plan on putting it back on, because that solid bar on it now scares me.

I will search and buy these T pieces I need and extra hoses. I'll include some pics of what i'm missing in that section. I also have a question about the harley peanut tank, so now all I have to find is the right thread petcock size for the tank, and I'll be able to connect to the hoses when I get them. The part I have is the vacuum shutoff, so I would just need a basic petcock without the vacuum correct?

I'll starting posting in the tech board from now on, since I have more questions about the electrics as well.

Thanks

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:23 am

I would just use a normal petcock (if possible, Harley might imply a strange inches thread) and keep the shutoff in the box.
If you really want to install this valve, verify that the diaphragm is still intact before. Dont make experiments with blowing or sucking as it may damage the diaphragm.

No idea what that second connector of the harley tank is for. Might be the vent in case of a really tight cap.
In this case you must not plug it!

The head cover seems painted and you don't have the stock black cylinder head of an RC08.
Does your engine have an RC08E engine number (1982SC only) or is it an RC03E (all other 650 SOHC)?

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

the_nighthawk_cometh

Postby the_nighthawk_cometh » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:17 pm

Yea just checked, RC08E on the side. So the shutoff wouldn't be necessary?

So when I find the right petcock I can just connect the fuel line to the middle of carbs 2 and 3 the metal tube. But just have to turn the petcock valve on and off myself right?

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:52 am

Yes, you would have a pure manual petcock like for the 79/80.
Nothing wrong about that for me. Never had a bike with vacuum petcock or shutoff.

Seems the bottom part of the engine is stock while the head was replaced by a 1981. But nothing to worry about, just to mention it.

Return to “Show it off”