'79 cb650

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

gojoego

Re: '79 cb650

Postby gojoego » Fri May 25, 2012 2:35 pm

Yeah it is all in rough shape with the carb, I might no be able to get away with a quick clean up. probably going to have to get the soak bucket and put it to use.

gojoego

Postby gojoego » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:30 pm

Idle screws are in there just screwed all the way in and out of sight in that pic. got a carb cleaning bucket and purchased at kit with float bowl gasket / float valve kit from http://www.siriusconinc.com/ should be here on 06/11. In the mean time I am cleaning the bike up. I have been looking in to some options for the exhaust, since the right side is completely rusted through right under the peg and the left side not far off from the same issue. I am limited on funds but really do like the single sided 4 to 1 look. any ideas on a cost effective way to get that set up?

Volker_P wrote:Looks like a long time since these bolts were opened last time. Could become a tough job.
Some idle screws (heads) seem missing.

gojoego

Postby gojoego » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:09 pm

Update on the project, finished putting together the carbs and installed them, used a jumper cable (because I don't have a good battery) and a makeshift gas tank and fired up the bike yesterday. It runs!!! no status on how well it runs but it fired right up as soon as we got fule in it and ran well on its own with the choke on for the few moments of gass we had in the small tank. Note: we were also worried we were bothering the neighbors because it was running off the headders only (WOW it was loud!!!)

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:28 pm

Congratulations!
Use the next opportunity to feel if all four headers get warm a bit.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

gojoego

Postby gojoego » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:49 pm

I took the carbs back off (just for fun I guess) and noticed that #4 was the only one that dumped a lot of gas out of it as I set them down. 1 does this mean that carbon was not running right? 2 what would be the issue? It was draining right out of the carbon body not the bowl drain tube. Any ideas?

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:48 am

gojoego wrote:I took the carbs back off (just for fun I guess) ...

You say you really have fun taking CB650 carbs off? Which is your home planet? :lol:

How much fuel did come out of #4? If this seemed more than a single floater bowl could contain, probably most of it did just flow through the carbs to come out there and only the residuals came out at the other carbs.

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

gojoego

Postby gojoego » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:02 am

Volker_P wrote:
gojoego wrote:I took the carbs back off (just for fun I guess) ...

You say you really have fun taking CB650 carbs off? Which is your home planet? :lol:

Haha yeah I remember why I did that again now, I had the carbs on and not the connecting air box peice and could not get it in there with out removing them. It was not that bad but I am sure reinstalling them will be the real trouble. :D

Still need to clean out the tank and get that back on there so I can see how it runs for more than a minute (and get new mufflers so I do not annoy everyone in .5 miles) :lol:

gojoego

Postby gojoego » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:47 pm

More updates, I had to hacksaw off the mufflers and did end up replacing them with Emgo reverse cone shorty mufflers, they look good and was much less then a new 4 to 1 set up.
Attachments
emgo2.jpg
emgo2.jpg (81.78 KiB) Viewed 6631 times
emgo.jpg
emgo.jpg (52.15 KiB) Viewed 6631 times

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:01 am

Oh how I suffer watching this chain starving for oil. :lol:
Make sure it does not have stiff links yet. Lubricate the swing arm at the grease nipple at the axis bottom, too.

gojoego

Postby gojoego » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:05 pm

No stiff links but I don't think a can of chain lube is bringing that chain all the way back lol! My tires need replacing as well but I was getting it running before I worries about tires and chains, did a little adjusting today and it runs better now, still will need to check valves timing and see if the right side exhaust leek can be remedied easier than having to replace it. It takes quite a but of cranking to get it to fire up right now.

Return to “Show it off”