CM400 Off Road

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Pinhead

CM400 Off Road

Postby Pinhead » Wed May 09, 2012 9:32 pm

I had to try to find a rogue bull tonight after work so I figured I'd putt around the pasture on my '79 CM400. I didn't realize how big and rough the neighbor's pasture was, though (I found out tonight that it's 2 full sections). Worst part was when I ran out of gas in the bottom of a dry creek bed. Here are a few pics of my adventure. :D

Not a road for miles:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

For those of you who have never ridden a street bike in rough country like this, here are a few pointers.

If you're in 2nd gear you're going TOO FAST.
DO NOT lock up your front break going down a steep hill.
Go as SLOW AS YOU CAN down hills; much faster and your tires bounce off the ground. You have NO traction when your tires aren't touching the ground.
Cow paths can throw you just as quickly as badger burrows will swallow your front tire.
Highway tires spin a LOT so you have to go way too fast to go up hills.
First gear is entirely too fast for climbing the aforementioned hills that have any rocks, dips, molehills, dry cow patties, yucca plants, or badger holes.
First gear is all you've got so you'll probably end up slipping the piss out of the clutch. :shock:
Or you'll be going way too fast and your tires will spend as much time in the air as on the ground.
You have NO traction when your tires aren't touching the ground.
If you don't lean WAY forward when climbing hills you'll be driving solely on the back tire.
It's impossible to steer a 400cc street bike up a rough hill using only the back tire.

But I survived and found out that once you get past these slight limitations, it's amazing where you can go. :lol:
Last edited by Pinhead on Thu May 10, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Volker_P

Re: CM400 Off Road

Postby Volker_P » Thu May 10, 2012 1:35 am

Here you really get to know your bike. :lol:
Fun as long as it is dry ground. Nevertheless forget about the front brake in any case.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

cb650

Postby cb650 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:16 am

I have found a few roads around here that are open range and no matter the surface the fresh cow pies are the worst. :lol:
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Pinhead

Postby Pinhead » Thu May 10, 2012 12:15 pm

cb650 wrote:I have found a few roads around here that are open range and no matter the surface the fresh cow pies are the worst. :lol:

I've heard the term "slick as cow shit on a doorknob." :mrgreen:

cb650

Postby cb650 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:28 am

One road i found is the back side of royal gorge bridge. Bridge to nothing as it is barricaded at one end but you can get to it from both ends.
it goes open range and as it has no traffic and is paved begs to be ridden hard. But the slippery spots keep you in check.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Return to “Show it off”