'80 CB650 my creation...

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

80chopper

'80 CB650 my creation...

Postby 80chopper » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:31 pm

This project is my first build but not my first bike. I first had a Suzuki GS 550L which was good to learn on because I couldn't do too much damage to things around me. :) Then, I upgraded to an '81 HD Sportster XL1000(?) Sold that to pay for college and several years later, my brother and sister ganged up and got me the bike you see below.
the beggining.jpg
the beggining.jpg (186.26 KiB) Viewed 5870 times

I can not ride anything with a fairing that big due to my sense of dignity so I decided to chop it. (I still have the fairing if anyone wants it...different strokes for different folks and all...).
I was waiting 5 years for a friend of a friend to find time to weld the frame together. I finally got tired of waiting and decided to teach myself to weld in my garage and got started.
bike progress 6-07.jpg
bike progress 6-07.jpg (233.3 KiB) Viewed 5870 times

I used a laser level, a rolling metal table and an old closet door to fashion a frame jig. I used some plywood and 2x4's for a jig to make the rear triangles and verify that they were all the same angles. (I wish I had pics of that setup.) It was a very primitive way to do it but when all was accomplished, it rides straight as an arrow! Measure twice, then twice more, then weld! Those are my words of wisdom.
I kept the engine cradle so I didn't have to mess with motor mounts but everything else on the frame is all my doing.
first dry fit.JPG
first dry fit.JPG (98.79 KiB) Viewed 5870 times

I will repost with more current pics.

80chopper

Re: '80 CB650 my creation...

Postby 80chopper » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:36 pm

OK, Here is the "almost" finished product.
Attachments
my 80 chopper.JPG
my 80 chopper.JPG (88.4 KiB) Viewed 5868 times

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:07 am

Interesting and very unique project.

The backbone tube below the tank seems a bit weak to me. One may add a fin at the bottom. Hope your "raw material" contained of good steel.

But I really fail to imagine how long your arms have to be.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

80chopper

Postby 80chopper » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:38 pm

Lol. No long arms here. The (temporary) seat puts me in a good position and I laid the bars back a bit to draw it closer together. I am in the process of working on a new seat at my brothers upholstery shop. I'm going with a king&queen style so I can add a passenger if they are brave enough. I want to get some mini apes to pull the handles back further but then I would need to get longer cables..etc. Anyway, it is a work in progress.
The top tube has 2 round barstock gussets that go from the top tube, along the neck and onto the downtube. The tubing is seamless I forget the grade steel and it is much thicker than the original so It is pretty strong. I have ridden it for a few years and had to add some extra meat to the 2 downtube sections where they join the original motor cradle. Other than that, I check for cracks after every few rides.
Right now, I am changing all the bulbs to LED because the hardtail keeps breaking the filaments in the incandescent ones. Oh yeah, and the trouble idling and stalling when I first try to get moving. (not a clutch issue! I have been driving with clutches for 20+ years.) I'm having fun with it and I hope to add some encouragement to other riders/builders.

nitroeagle

Postby nitroeagle » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:27 pm

Looks cool. Almost makes the mid controls like forwards. Good to see one modified. A little long for me, but hey, that's what all this is for. If you're looking for any modification help, you can check out thechopperunderground. They're more into modified machines. Good luck

Return to “Show it off”