d_nun's '82 Bobber Project

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

d_nun

d_nun's '82 Bobber Project

Postby d_nun » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:57 pm

Evening All,

I've lurked around the boards for a while and have been extremely impressed by the wealth of knowledge and experience of the members. I thought I'd quit creepin' and share my project with you guys. Early this spring I picked up a 1982 CB650 with 4700 miles on the cheap with the intent of trying my hand at some customization.

Here is where it started:

And here is where i'm at today.

I have pretty limited mechanical knowledge on the CB. Everything I've done up to this point has been cosmetic. Here's the list of things i'd still like to tackle.

- Exhaust (cut/mod/wrap)
- speedometer mount
- wiring and battery area clean-up
- swap out for some nighthawk rims
- figuring out the rear view mirror situation
- paint scheme
- determine what has caused the stain under the left side carb

Given that list, i have a couple questions.

1) I've seen pictures of exhausts that terminate under the bike, either right before or right after the 2 into 1. Are these set-ups just running straight header pipes? Or is there some sort of baffle or muffler set-up in these systems? I really like the look, but worry a little about the noise. How loud is the bike on straight header pipes?

2) has anyone messed with reverse mounting the rear view mirrors? (ie under the bars rather than over) Are there any other creative ways to mount mirrors? I don't want them over the bars, i like the forks/tank being the highest point on the bike.

3) what caused the stain under the left side carb? :?

A huge thanks in advance for all the help I know I'll received from this community. This bike has already become my favorite of the 4 I've owned in my life.

Cheers,

Derek

Volker_P

Re: d_nun's '82 Bobber Project

Postby Volker_P » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:48 am

Welcome here, Derek! :D

Nice bike in really good shape. I must admid I was more impressed by the line of the "before" picture but this is of course a question of taste.

A stain probably means slight but permanent carb overflow.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

d_nun

Postby d_nun » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:24 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Volker.

How twisted should i get my nickers about the carb overflow issue? Something i need to address immediately?

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:57 am

Just had a closer look. This brown stuff (I think this is what you mean) rather looks like oil than fuel, at least no typical carb overflow issue as there is also brown debris above the floater bowl seam level.
If you can't remove the brown stuff it easily, it might be dried/burned in stuff from a very old problem (like e.g. from not fuel resistant rubber parts or a previous, rusty & leaky tank).

In case of still an oil leak, you'll probably get new oil there after the engine really warmed up.

Check the carb boot rubber and the clamps of the carb boot of this carb and if there is oil at the bottom of this boot/clamps.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

80chopper

Postby 80chopper » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:59 am

I pruchased a set of teardrop mirrors with integrated LED turn signals from Bike Bandit for $80. Mine are mounted on top to balance out the look of the speedo that is highest but they have adjustable arms so if you do drop them to the bottom, you can keep them from bumping into the tank when steering.
For exhaust, I chopped mine a few inches behind the join and put some cheap "shorty" pipes on it. They do have a baffle inside but not much. It cuts down on the sharp blast of the exhaust noise while still allowing a nice rumble.

MiGhost

Postby MiGhost » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:49 am

d_nun wrote:- swap out for some nighthawk rims

You will find that this will be a near imposible task as the nighthawk was a shaft driven bike from 83-85. I like the looks of the nighthawk wheels also, but it woud take an engine replacement, and complete rework of the rear swingarm to accomplish.

Ghost
~ Ghost

PD50 Carb Info
82 CB650SC Brake Caliper Info

Stable
Wayward Son:1980 CB650C, RestoMod Period Custom Touring
Bad Moon: 1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim, Full Dress Tour Deluxe w/ X-1 Fairing
Nemesis: 1983 XJ750K Maxim, Old School style chopper

cb650

Postby cb650 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:56 pm

Maybe he meant 82 nitehawk. Completly diff wheel (and bike) from the 83 up.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

d_nun

Postby d_nun » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:11 am

Volker_P
Thanks for the info. I was able to clean some of it off, and i haven't noticed any new oil, gas, or moisture in that spot after riding since i bought it, so it might be like you said, stains from an old problem. I'll keep an eye on it.

80chopper
Thanks for the info, i'll check out Bike Bandit.

MiGhost / cb650
I was looking at the 83 or newer rims, they seemed to have switched styles in the rims that year. Thank you very much about the heads up on the shaft drive. I hadn't noticed that when looking.

nitroeagle

Postby nitroeagle » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:41 pm

Looks good. I like the tank. Is it a sporty tank? Mine is set up similar to yours, but I still have the stock tank on. Was there much modification to mount it? Thanks.

bobbed650

Postby bobbed650 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:53 am

I like the tank would you be willing to post a straight on photo from the front?
Are you going to weld on a rigid hardtail? Sometime down the road?

Return to “Show it off”