Tank badge restore

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

JasonLester

Tank badge restore

Postby JasonLester » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:27 pm

I guess this should go here.

Since I have my CB650 running pretty go I decided to pretty it up a little. Being cheap I like fixing things as inexpensively as I can. So I decided to Give a shot redoing my tank badges. They looked ok but much of the black was chipped off and I decided I didn't like it.

So I took them off, worked off any loose paint, taped them up and trimmed off the tape where I wanted paint. This part is a bit aggravating. If you don't have a sharp xacto blade you can forget it. I also used clear tape so I could see where I needed to trim. It would have been nice if this wasn't the perfectly clear tape. But I made due.

Then I took a can of black gloss (because I had it already) And sprayed it all good. I probably should have used a primer first or a black primer. I had the gloss stuff so we'll see. and I guess I can always redo them if it starts to come off. After waiting a while for it to dry it should look like this.

Then simply use you knife blade and get under the tape and peel it away. Make sure to peel off all the little pieces and it should look a bunch better than it started. Maybe not factory perfect but no one looks that close anyway.
If you get paint where it shouldn't be it's pretty easy to scrape off until its fully cured.

End result

So what do you think.

06wajess

Re: Tank badge restore

Postby 06wajess » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:38 pm

Sweet!! nice job

cb650

Postby cb650 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:37 pm

Yes very nice
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:22 pm

Looks great!
I love ''cheap'' fixes.

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:30 pm

3 months ago I did the same thing with my badges
(well pretty much.
They turned out very good , main thing is to get them very clean before you try to repaint them and a primer is advised or else the paint will be prone to pealing later.
I found that any paint left on seemed to start pealing so I just cleaned all the paint off to start and then used a flat black primer and a low gloss spray paint over that.
A>
<A

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:18 am

Looks fine! :D Should do that with mine, too.
However first I need to install an engine that consumes less oil for next year :roll: .
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

jopace

Postby jopace » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:35 pm

Great job Jason, I sprayed mine all silver then hand painted the black on, you method looks quicker, that reminds me I owe you a schematic

jopace

Postby jopace » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:00 pm

here it is simple circuit low parts count , I would run a baseline on your bike first you know see what the lowest voltage is with it running lights on , brakes , then set your red light voltage for just under that . I sent it too your email , PDF's arn't allowed

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:38 pm

I have noticed the upload issue. I have a cool one on air pressure gauges that I couldn't upload so it's this sites loss. (not meant in a mean way)
I think that the members here would like it. I will e-mail it to the site owner if he needs to see it first to host it.
Or I would link to another site I posted it on (but that would be rude).
I also have a few suspension (8) articles that I would like to post also.

Anyone who wants these articles I will gladly e-mail them to ya. PM me your addy.

Maxx

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:19 pm

Good job! Another thing that helps get all that old paint off is simple parts/carb cleaner. Let the badges soak overnight and then scrub them with a stiff brush made of something softer than the base metal. :wink:
1980 CB650c

Return to “Show it off”