my 1981 cb650 custom project

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Volker_P

Re: my 1981 cb650 custom project

Postby Volker_P » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:02 am

nate85 wrote:even with the new oil the top end is noisy and im thinking the valves have loosened up on me and need to be tightened up but dont have the slightest clue how to do that

Start with cam chain tension, then adjust valves.
Refer to the manual linked below.
Good to have someone with experience with you for the first time.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

nate85

Postby nate85 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:22 pm

it says to rotate the crack and tighten the lock nut. can i just turn the key on but have the right side control off and just roll it over with the start button than tighten the nut?

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:25 am

Basically yes, but I prefer to turn the engine by hand with a 24mm socket at the right side of the crankshaft.
One can remove the center valve cover to verify cam chain tension directly at the sprocket with a screwdriver.

This is helpful because sometimes you need some efforts until tension is all right and moreover you finally know what you got.

Sometimes a sticky tensioner may get moving again by also opening the upper tensioner bolt a turn or two. But don't turn it out completely as you probably won't get it in again!
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Show it off”