my 1981 cb650 custom project

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

nate85

Re: my 1981 cb650 custom project

Postby nate85 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:34 pm

thanks for the links. just sucks there all hong kong. takes like 3 to 4 weeks to get them. the tank has never had work done to it. thats some kind of sealer or somthing in it. cleaned the tank up some earlier. i cant find a tank at all. and im on a tight budget at that. if i did find one it would have to be cheap. im in need of this
im gonna go and try and search for one but not sure what its called. ok so its the Accelerator Pump diaphragm

nate85

Postby nate85 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:59 pm

ordered a new accelerator kit today. 40.95 shipped. couldnt find it any cheaper so what the hell

heres the link in case someone else needs it: http://www.newmotorcycleparts.com/fuel_ ... ccelerator Kits

nate85

Postby nate85 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:58 am

ok got my new accelerator diaphragm today and put the carbs back on. like i said i went through the carbs and now have no leak and it idles a lot nicer. got some work done on the tank also. its getting closer. a couple questions though

1: at about 5 to 6 thousand rpms if you crack on it hard it will kind of fall on its face but will catch back up so to say. any advice on that will help for sure

2: ohmed out my rotor and it read 6 ohms so its good. at idle the voltage is at 12.7 to 12.8 volts. when i rev it up i can see as high as 14 volts. is this ok? also im am using a kinda low charged car battery right now to run it so i thought maybe its trying to charge it more than a normal bike battery.

heres a little video of how she starts now. runs a lot better than when i first got it started
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecewBW3onkM

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:07 am

Charging sounds good, the alternators 280W will take a time to charge a car battery.

For the 5-6k rpm issue go riding a good turn and see if it vanishes or not. Maybe carbs need some (short) time to run in again. Even if you did not mix up moving parts. Also check you ignition, valves, floater level ... settings.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

nate85

Postby nate85 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:47 pm

ok will do. i did not switch any parts in the carbs. i took apart one at a time to make sure nothing was switched cuz i know how that goes with parts being switched and then not working properly.

nate85

Postby nate85 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:23 pm

just did my fork seals today. a decent job in taking them all apart. completely took them apart. i cleaned everything with tranny fluid to wash out the crap oil and clean stuff up. i ended up using 15w40 oil for the forks. gonna see how that works out for me and go from there. if i need to i can drain them and fill them. thats very easy to do. gotta finish up the gas tank and put my tail light on and a battery then im gonna take her for the first ride. i cant wait. ive been making ok progress and i wanna ride.

nate85

Postby nate85 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:57 pm

been riding my bike since last week. man it feels good to ride lol. im still having some issues with it breaking up. i cant just crack it wide open i have to ease into it and all is fine then. ive been messing with the screws on the bottom of the carbs but i dont fully understand them. i pulled the plugs and it seems a little lean but that was before i just put the whole air box on and put in a dirty air filter trying to get it some more gas. i can pull the choke out a little and it will rev up just fine. so im needing some more fuel but not sure were to get it. i went through the carbs and cleaned everything. brand new accelerator pump kit is installed and is the proper one for the bike. made new vent tubes with the t's. not exactly sure were to go from here. when its hot it runs a lot better but takes awhile to get there but still needs some more fuel. im still running it with the open 4 to 1 header but even with the end piece on it it still runs the same. if someone could explain the little screws on the bottom of the carbs by the bowls that im sure would help. ive been playing with them trying to see if it helps but it hasnt much.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:02 pm

Those screws only affect idle to 1/8th throttle. Go with one size bigger main jet.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

nate85

Postby nate85 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:08 pm

i thought i couldnt mess with mine cuz there pressed in? maybe im mixing them up with the other one. can u just bring the needle up some?

also what should them screws be at?

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:33 pm

Main jets are not pressed in. No adjustment on the needles. Unless u shim them with washes an I have issues with that.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

nate85

Postby nate85 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:21 pm

ok cool. weres the best place to buy jets cheap and wut size should i go with

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:37 am

nate85 wrote: made new vent tubes with the t's. not exactly sure were to go from here.

If the question is related to the tubes, both hoses for the T's are connected together just above the carbs into another T. The third, single hose goes to the airbox. Shown here.

The idle screws play no role for load issues.

One may "simulate" larger jets by pulling the choke a tiny bit. Just to get an idea. :wink:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

nate85

Postby nate85 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:39 am

no all that is hooked up. i was meaning that im stumped on what is giving me an issue. sorry i should have worded that a clearer. off to go fire her up and go to work. have a good day everybody

Riceburner73

Postby Riceburner73 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:34 pm

The bike looks great, and considering it actually :D runs, I'd say $150 is like you said, a hell of a deal. :D

nate85

Postby nate85 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:01 pm

ya it seems to run ok. over winter time im gonna tear it apart and paint it and fix more stuff on it. i have about 350 into it including the bike itself. i have been riding it to work and back(only a couple miles) and around town when i can. got about 80-90 miles on it and it seems ok. i think its still lean even after i put the whole air box on it and a clogged up filter. was hoping that the way the air filter was it would maybe bring in a little more fuel but not sure if it did. need to check the plugs again to see if there was a change. all in all im loving the bike. yesterday i took the seat off and cut the foam down quite a bit and recovered it. little more of a slim look to it now. turned out ok but you can see my cut marks in the foam so im gonna have to read up on that to see if i can get it smoother. ill get some pics and post them up of how i have it looking as of now. think im gonna make my own custom air box covers to cover the box by the carbs. need to get my new tires and paint the bike black and it will be about how i want it. its been a lot of work but its been fun. im just glad to be riding it. o ya the other day i changed the oil with a oem honda filter and honda 10w40 4 stroke oil. even with the new oil the top end is noisy and im thinking the valves have loosened up on me and need to be tightened up but dont have the slightest clue how to do that

heres some pics of how it looked before i did some more cutting and wrapped it

Return to “Show it off”