81 CB650, Where will it go from here?

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

MiGhost

Re: 81 CB650, Where will it go from here?

Postby MiGhost » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:18 am

You have basically two options.
!. Find a good guide from a salvage engine
2. Get this one on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/honda-cb650-cb6 ... d2&vxp=mtr

Ghost
~ Ghost

PD50 Carb Info
82 CB650SC Brake Caliper Info

Stable
Wayward Son:1980 CB650C, RestoMod Period Custom Touring
Bad Moon: 1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim, Full Dress Tour Deluxe w/ X-1 Fairing
Nemesis: 1983 XJ750K Maxim, Old School style chopper

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:36 pm

Pulled valves, cleaned the crap out of the head, replaced valve seals, lapped valves, and reassembled head!!! Kinda a lot of work :D

[URL=http://s1068.photobucket.com/user/m_hills/media/Motorcycle%20Pics/20130629_125838.jpg.html]Image[/URL

Scrubbed the jug down too..

And on a more exciting note.... I found a guy not to far from me that is going to tear down a motor to sell me the cam chain guides!!!! That is the last thing that I need before reassembly :)
A project bike is very revealing..... like for example..... I've come to realize that every time I project how long something will take, I need to just double it...... I'll then be about 1/2 way there!

MiGhost

Postby MiGhost » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:44 am

With the rain over the last few days. You could have just hauled it all outside, and scrubbed it down completely.

ps. Still waiting on the pics of the exhaust!

Ghost
~ Ghost

PD50 Carb Info

Stable

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:39 am

Good idea on the scrub down :D I just pulled the pipes out from under my boat yesterday :) I'm working in Illinois through Thursday (happy independence day) so I'll try to remember this weekend.
A project bike is very revealing..... like for example..... I've come to realize that every time I project how long something will take, I need to just double it...... I'll then be about 1/2 way there!

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:46 am

Replaced my piston rings and jug gasket. Put cylinders back in place.... All seemed well... then I noticed 4 large o-rings in my gasket kit :shock: pulled jug back off, replaced o rings around cylinder bases, put jug back on :) I guess that it was too fun to only do once!!!

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:49 am

Now your cam chain tensioner is still placed correctly in its groove?

M_Hills wrote: I guess that it was too fun to only do once!!!

Oh, I see, would be no problem! :lol:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:28 am

I'm waiting on my guide pins for my head to arrive in the mail (as i completely destroyed the originals during disassembly) so that I can reassemble the rest of my engine!!!

Now that I am getting closer to putting the engine back into the frame.... I think that I have decided to paint the case black.

Might as well make this project take as long a humanly possible :D (It's already been a year :) )

Any pointers on prep process, suggested product, etc?
I heard that Harley has a pretty nice spray paint for engine cases.....

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:01 am

I should be able to finish getting my engine assembled today.
I have a couple of questions regarding my carb situation. I started a new thread here
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8980
I'm sure that all off my questions already have answers on here. I have simply not found what I am looking for. Any help with speciffic answers or just some direction in helping to find the appropriate thread would be greatly appreciated :)

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:30 pm

Got it all back together only to find that I was unable to thread my head bolts back in!!!! I then tore it back down, pulling the cylinders back off to get at the bolt holes.... Guess what I found.... There was a bunch of engine gunk in them from disassembly.... FREAK!!! Why didn't I think to prevent this?!!!!??
So, I just bought all new head bolts since I screwed up some of the threads on a couple of them.
Now, I have to buy a tap to clean up the holes of which I began to screw up too before I figured out what was going on.
What freaking mess :x
Oh well, none of the damage was irreparable. I guess that I should be thankful :D

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:04 pm

Picked up new head bolts, ran tap down bolt holes (tap went right in without any problem :) ) put cylinder back on for the 4th or 5th time :D, and put head back on.... Now i have to come up with a nice accurate torque wrench so that I don't go screwing up all of my progress!!!
Man I wish that I could do this bike over.... I bet that I could cut my time in half.... or less.

MiGhost

Postby MiGhost » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:44 pm

M_Hills wrote:Now i have to come up with a nice accurate torque wrench so that I don't go screwing up all of my progress!!!

Do not try going the cheap route on the torque wrench. A quality craftsman, or similar name brand tool will last longer, and give more accurate results for the money. Buying cheap tools is false economy.

Ghost
~ Ghost

PD50 Carb Info

Stable

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:09 am

Thanks for the affirmation, Ghost :)
Got it all back together. Bolts are in place. Left loose until torque time. Cam, chain, timing marks are all lined up and ready to go (I actually felt like I accomplished something with this one).... :D

Return to “Show it off”