81 CB650, Where will it go from here?

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

M_Hills

Re: 81 CB650, Where will it go from here?

Postby M_Hills » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:34 am

Man, you have a good eye!!! That picture was actually of only a base layer of the tightly woven fiberglass with a layer of the loose woven mat over it.....

I did the first two steps in my basement which made my entire house smell like the inside of a Bondo can :D You were right in thinking that it would be a little weak.... I brought my beginnings of the pan to my shop and added two more layers last night :)

Now it is hard as a rock and tough as nails :D

Thanks
A project bike is very revealing..... like for example..... I've come to realize that every time I project how long something will take, I need to just double it...... I'll then be about 1/2 way there!

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:58 am

M_Hills wrote:Man, you have a good eye!!!

Well, one can obviously see your fingers through it. And this is quite far from my understanding of "wall thickness". :lol:

M_Hills wrote: You were right in thinking that it would be a little weak.... I brought my beginnings of the pan to my shop and added two more layers last night

Hmm. The problem with fiberglass-epoxy is similar like for concrete: if you wait too long with the next layer, it won't really bond to it any more. This however becomes quite irrelevant when the second layer is tough enough on its own.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:03 am

Your analogy of the concrete makes too much sense!!!
Yet another instance in which I "do first and find out why I should have done things differently" later!!!....
Not the first time for that in my life :lol:

I have a solid day between layers.... probably even 36 hours to be more accurate.... How screwed am I??
I really do want to have a nice upholstery job done on my seat, so I do not want to put that into it and then have the pan to fall apart out from under me in the next 2 years :shock:

I don't prefer to redo all of the work, but am willing to if that is what it will take to have my seat not fall apart.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Grrrrr.
A project bike is very revealing..... like for example..... I've come to realize that every time I project how long something will take, I need to just double it...... I'll then be about 1/2 way there!

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:47 am

Well, as written: the single layer may make a nice basis for some additional layers that build up the stable structure you can sit on.
Chose the additional layers in a way that the basis layer won't make a difference for stability. It probably won't come off but as it also won't fall off it may just stay as a bottom cover. :wink:

As weight usually is no major issue on a CB650 and the present thickness is still no problem you may just build up some more layers (now at once :wink: ) on what you have now.

If the present structure is not stiff enough or already suffers from slight torsion, one may place it on the frame again to be sure that the rigid final result will still fit perfectly.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:03 pm

M_Hills wrote:Yet another instance in which I "do first and find out why I should have done things differently" later!!!....
Not the first time for that in my life :lol:

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. :lol:
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:16 pm

Folsoml wrote:Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. :lol:

I should get this tattooed across my forehead :lol:
Last edited by M_Hills on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

MiGhost

Postby MiGhost » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:18 pm

Just use some 400-600 grit paper to rough up the surface, and allow the new layers to get a grip on base layer. Roll the edge of the new layer over the edge of the base.

Ghost
~ Ghost

PD50 Carb Info
82 CB650SC Brake Caliper Info

Stable
Wayward Son:1980 CB650C, RestoMod Period Custom Touring
Bad Moon: 1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim, Full Dress Tour Deluxe w/ X-1 Fairing
Nemesis: 1983 XJ750K Maxim, Old School style chopper

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Sat May 25, 2013 8:33 pm

Finally finished the seat pan and grinding down my foam!!! What a project... now I will send the seat out to the upholsterer...... maybe.
I've also thought that I might grind a 1/2 in. off the top and put a 1/2" layer of memory foam in its place.

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:18 am

Dished my tank.... Pretty happy with the lines :)

I tore down the motor to replace all of the gaskets/seals and such last weekend too. I've decided to have the jug and head milled, get the cylinders honed, and replace the piston rings while I'm into it like this. If I never have to take this thing apart again, it will be too soon :lol:

It's all good though, the engine is the easy part....

I fear my electrical nightmare that lay ahead!!!! (I am going to make an attempt at wiring up a custom harness to clean things up and move things around)
Pointers in this area will be MUCH appreciated!!!

It's almost time to rebuild!!!!
Last edited by M_Hills on Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bongskit

Postby Bongskit » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:43 am

I am eagerly waiting for the seat to finish as I wanted to go this route with my seat. Hope it will create a distinct line and to see it soon!

Alastair1

Postby Alastair1 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:48 am

Project sounds great.., I guess you are pretty expert in all this mchanical work as you are doing all this work. I am impressed, and excited to see when you complete this project and the bike is in action.

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:25 am

I'm certainly no expert :)
I have just been learning as I go..... Mostly by reading stuff on this awesome forum :D

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:10 pm

Can anyone tell me what parts we're looking at and what the problem is?!!?

Hint.... There was quite a rattle in the motor!!!

MiGhost

Postby MiGhost » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:13 am

What you have is the remains of what used to be the cam chain guide. Obviously not put in place properly. What shape is the tensioner in?

Ghost
~ Ghost

PD50 Carb Info
82 CB650SC Brake Caliper Info

Stable
Wayward Son:1980 CB650C, RestoMod Period Custom Touring
Bad Moon: 1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim, Full Dress Tour Deluxe w/ X-1 Fairing
Nemesis: 1983 XJ750K Maxim, Old School style chopper

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:54 am

That chain guide had apparently been out of commission for quite a while. I don't know how long the previous owner ran it like that, but those parts were worn completely smooth!! The tensioner looks to be in pretty good shape, outside of some cracking in the plastic/resin. I've been looking for replacement parts but everywhere seems to say that they are no longer made.....
Any ideas?? :D

Return to “Show it off”