81 CB650, Where will it go from here?

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Volker_P

Re: 81 CB650, Where will it go from here?

Postby Volker_P » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:40 am

Meanwhile I guess I also know every bolt of my bike but I was not that keen on it. :lol:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:17 pm

Frame is about as stripped down as it can get..... I probably already have 6-8 hours into cutting, grinding, and filling out the welds that used to hold on the brackets!!! I have a few more welds to file down and I still have to cut the tail off so that I can weld on a new tail hoop for my seat.

It looks like I will have 12-15 hours into the frame metal work alone... That is twelve of my sacred "one hour" sessions that I get to work on it after my kids go to bed :D Grrrrr!!! Why cant I just stop!!!?!!!

On a high note.... I primed the areas that have been ground/filed and you can not even tell that anything has ever been there :)
Last edited by M_Hills on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A project bike is very revealing..... like for example..... I've come to realize that every time I project how long something will take, I need to just double it...... I'll then be about 1/2 way there!

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:15 am

I just dropped my frame off at a metal fab shop to have a tail hoop bent up for it.
The owner had just bought a 650 to part out and had an awesome 4 into 1 exhaust laying around.....
I was able to pick up the header and have the tail hoop bent for $200.00.
I can't wait to post pictures when I pick it back up!!!
A project bike is very revealing..... like for example..... I've come to realize that every time I project how long something will take, I need to just double it...... I'll then be about 1/2 way there!

The Volt

Postby The Volt » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:36 pm

Lucky getting the 4-1 header. I have the 4-4 exhaust and want to go 4-1, or 4-2 at least. I'm about to do the same tab removal and tail loop as you are with the frame, so make sure you post up pics when you get it back from the fab shop. I'm still thinking about taking off the center stand and removing the mounting brackets, but I know then I will need a motorcycle stand/lift to do any regular maintenance.

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:50 pm

I actually decided to remove the center stand and brackets after I posted that last pic.... The frame looks MUCH cleaner without it. Not to mention, it will look WAY better on the left side now that I don't have any exhaust on that side to cover anything up.

I have a stock 4 into 2 that I can send you pics of if you are interested....

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:08 pm

The Volt wrote: I'm still thinking about taking off the center stand and removing the mounting brackets, but I know then I will need a motorcycle stand/lift to do any regular maintenance.

There seems to be a selection of fairly simple and affordable options as far as stands go. I actually did some checking before I went and whacked the mounts off.... Usually, I would wait until it is too late only to find out that I just made a $500.00 decision :lol:

The Volt

Postby The Volt » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:23 pm

Good to know. I think I have made my decision now. After taking that center stand off I couldn't believe how big and heavy it was. I have a big pile of parts that are not going back on the bike when It all goes back together, it would be interesting to see how much all that stuff weighs.

As for the exhaust, my 4-4 headers are in really good shape so I think I might just try to make a y-pipe or reducers to put on shorty mufflers or glass pack bombs.

connrod

Postby connrod » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:15 pm

was it hard to pull the motor?

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:09 am

This is the first bike that i have ever worked on and i would not describe pulling the motor as "hard"... it was quite time consuming though!!
If you do decide to pull your motor, i have one major piece of advise..... USE TAPE AND LABEL EVERYTHING!!!!

JorgenL

Postby JorgenL » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:51 am

Regarding the center stand.
I removed mine because it's not what I want on a cafe bike and was looking into a lot of different stands that I could keep in the garage.
Well when I unbolted the center stand and removed it, I kept the bracket (which was barely visible) on the bike and now I can mount the original centerstand in litterally 5 seconds using a 10mm steel rod, aprox 2 inches longer than the steel tube that was securing it before.
Just align the center stand to the bracket, push in the rod and put the bike on the stand like you normally would. Of course there's no spring anymore but who needs it.
I painted the centerstand red and keep it on the wall in the garage.

I have a 4-1 system, I don't know if you have access to push in a rod on a 4-2 or 4-4 system.

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:28 pm

I think that I wish I would have done that with my center stand :)

Oh well, Do first & get answers later..... That is my motto :lol:

In regard to.....
JorgenL wrote:
I have a 4-1 system, I don't know if you have access to push in a rod on a 4-2 or 4-4 system.

I am not sure as to what you are referring?

..... I have a lot to do before spring!!! HA!!!!

The Volt

Postby The Volt » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:12 pm

Jorgen, good idea! It's not too late for me yet. I think I will keep the bracket on the frame, and keep the stand sitting around the shop just to quickly put on for working on the bike. Cheers! :wink:

You guys have any good ideas for degreasing the frame and the swing arm?

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:05 am

The Volt wrote:
You guys have any good ideas for degreasing the frame and the swing arm?

I just used some of that foaming engine degreaser from Auto Zone and a scrubber brush.After that I dried it off and wiped it down with a clean rag and lacquer thinner.

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:13 am

I think about my bike way to much! I had a dream last night that I got my bike finished and my exhaust didn't look the way I wanted it to at all!!! What a freakin nightmare!!

M_Hills

Postby M_Hills » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:21 am

Here is a little something that I have been dinking around with while I wait to get my frame back....

Hopefully I am happy with the way they look with the handlebars cuz I have more time into these things than they are probably worth!!!

Return to “Show it off”