1981 cb650 Std resusitation

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

schuk1981cb650

1981 cb650 Std resusitation

Postby schuk1981cb650 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:08 pm

I pulled my 650 out of storage about 2 years ago not knowing what I would find, but hoping that I would be able to at least get it running once again. It had been behind a bunch of crap and under a tarp in my garage since we moved here 23 years. Twenty-three years of not running, fuel in the carbs (or what used to be fuel), original tires, no battery. I bought the bike new in 1981 and always thought it had a clean, classic design; but design aside, it was looking sad at this point. I had drifted away from riding due to family and employment.

It took another year and a half of looking at the poor thing before I decided to dive into it. Her bones were still good with less than 10,000 original miles and good care before her dormant period. With a little carb work, a new battery, new tires, tank cleaning and lining, new petcock, front fork rebuilds, some tuning, a lot of cleaning and polishing and a bunch of TLC, she now has a new lease on life and runs good. Being a purist, everything on the bike is original, down to the tool kit and owner’s manual. The exception is the sissy bar, which is actually good quality and matches the seat nicely.

I thought I would post on here to see if anyone would have any other suggestions about rehabbing the bike. I am going to look for something a little bigger so my wife and I can ride comfortably two-up, so, somewhat sadly, I am probably going to sell my 650 in the near future. With that in mind, I was wondering if anyone knew of any pricing websites that were realistic in resale values for good quality vintage bikes such as this one. Additionally, what would be the best way to advertise and/or which websites are the best on which to advertise for bikes?

Any suggestions, guidance or comments would be greatly appreciated.

gojoego

Re: 1981 cb650 Std resusitation

Postby gojoego » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:01 pm

Beautiful bike!

canuck1sailor

Postby canuck1sailor » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:11 pm

Well done! There has been a similar bike for sale here in Victoria Canada all summer; no takers. And this is serious vintage bike country ( although more British bikes). Because you can ride all year around. Here's the link

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- ... 0_17955805

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Very nice bike!!!!!!! If you sell it I hope someone finds you and slaps the shit out of you!!!!!!! :lol:
I ride mine 2 up all the time. Not a good reason to sell a original owner.
On 2nd thought if you do sell it want to trade my first born? He is low millage and takes abuse!!!!!
Dad Will be on here soon and say the same thing I'm sure. :lol:
AHH what part of nebraska? Was just in Kerney last month.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

bolo79

Postby bolo79 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:41 pm

cb650 wrote:If you sell it I hope someone finds you and slaps the shit out of you!!!!!!!
:lol:
cb650 wrote:On 2nd thought if you do sell it want to trade my first born? He is low millage and takes abuse!!!!!
:lol: :lol:
Beautiful bike.
schuk1981cb650 wrote:I am going to look for something a little bigger so my wife and I can ride comfortably
:idea: Maybe it's time to teach your wife to drive a motorcycle?

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:20 am

Welcome here! :D

Really great bike and being even the original owner nothing to sell ever.
But of course you must know what to do. But probably nothing to reverse or to repeat.

schuk1981cb650 wrote:Being a purist, everything on the bike is original, down to the tool kit and owner’s manual. The exception is the sissy bar, which is actually good quality and matches the seat nicely.

I also see crash bars, an inline filter, missing carb overflow hoses, different oil filter bolt... :roll:

Just noticed: 4-4 is one piece per side, the stock 4-2 exhausts had clamps?
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

schuk1981cb650

Postby schuk1981cb650 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:29 pm

I’m sorry for the delay in my reply to those of you leaving comments. I appreciate everyone’s sense of humor and comments.
My belated replies to the previous respondents:

- Canuck – I couldn’t get the link to work, it says the ID # doesn’t exist. I wanted to take a look at the bike, but maybe the seller got lucky and sold it and pulled the ad!!

- Cb650 – nice sales pitch with the low mileage first born, etc., but I am a little past that point in my life, so I have to apologetically decline your offer. We are from Omaha but are in CO frequently with ‘medium mileage’ kids in Littleton and Longmont and some relatives in Estes Park area.

- Bolo79 – the wife did ride independently at one time but not interested now.

- Volker – Before I get to your comments and questions, I just wanted to say that I have read a number of your responses on the forum and respect your incredible knowledge, expertise and passion when it comes to these bikes.
I also see crash bars, an inline filter, missing carb overflow hoses, different oil filter bolt...

Just noticed: 4-4 is one piece per side, the stock 4-2 exhausts had clamps?

• I purchased this bike from a long time authorized Honda dealer in our community. The bike came off the showroom floor with the crash bars and the acorn oil filter bolt, so I expected that everything including those two items were official Honda issue. That was why I stated that everything was original, but maybe stating that the bike was “as it was in 1981 when it rolled off the showroom floor” would have been more accurate.
• You are correct in that the inline filter is not original. I assumed that when I stated that the “tank had been cleaned and lined” that folks would understand that the inline filter was part of that deal. As you know, there are many forum discussions strongly recommending the use of an inline filter after a tank had required cleaning and lining, especially since the petcock mesh filter is essentially worthless in preventing debris from clogging your carb jets.
• I’m not sure about ‘missing’ carb overflow hoses – it has never had any. My knowledge is not the same as yours, so when I check the parts microfiche for Keihin VB44A constant-velocity carbs, it does not show any overflows. The only port on the bottom of the carb bowls are merely drain ports controlled by a screw valve. There are not any overflow risers inside of the bowl so if the valve screw were unscrewed and opened, it would drain ALL of the fuel from the bowls. I spoke with the shop that did my original carb work and they said that there were not any overflow hoses with that carb style. There are the carb vents (the notorious triple-T’s) that run into the air box and prevent a vacuum in the bowl as the fuel is used. If you have additional resources that show overflows with the VB44A carbs, please let me know where to find the info.
• The answer to your exhaust question is ‘yes’ AND ‘no’. As you can see in the following photo, the stock 4-to-2 exhaust was 1 piece from the head to the muffler for cylinders 1 and 4, but it was a TWO piece system with a clamp for cylinders 2 and 3.

I still haven’t made a final decision about selling, but I am experiencing some heat if I want a riding partner (those of you who are married understand that situation). Therefore, I am still looking for anyone’s knowledge of pricing websites as well as listing/selling websites and your experiences with either of them (good or bad). Thanks

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:09 am

schuk1981cb650 wrote:The only port on the bottom of the carb bowls are merely drain ports controlled by a screw valve. There are not any overflow risers inside of the bowl so if the valve screw were unscrewed and opened, it would drain ALL of the fuel from the bowls. I

Interesting. I assumed all the CV carbs had permanently open overflow tubes in the bowls as shown for the CV carbs in
http://www.cb750c.com/publicdocs/SeanG/ ... l_revD.pdf on page 13.

If the VB44A should not have them, in fact this would help much to understand certain vacuum tee overflow issues.

Thanks for the precise exhaust pictures.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Riceburner73

Postby Riceburner73 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:28 pm

Dude, that is one sweet Honda. Absolutely beautiful. I'd be happy to take her off your hands but I'm broke from spending all my scratch on my own 650 which unfortunately, is not nearly as pretty as yours. Good luck though, I hope it finds a loving home.

Last bumped by schuk1981cb650 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:28 pm.

Return to “Show it off”