Day one CB650c

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

antagonising

Day one CB650c

Postby antagonising » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:54 pm

I just picked up this 1981 cb650c with the intention of turning it into a cafe racer. Once I got it home and starting looking online I soon discovered EVERYONE is doing this. Bad news: I won't be the only one. Good news: lots of great resources like this forum.

I've ordered a carb sync kit off eBay and will try and update as I go. It is supposed to be a cheap and leisurely project over the winter but we shall see how that goes. Clubman bars are ordered, and I've been to the local bike salvage yard to see what I can hack together in ways of an exhaust. I'm planning on a 2-1 turnout style, but dont' want it obnoxiously loud so I may try and fabricate something out of an OEM twin exhaust or something.

Time will tell. Here she is fresh out of the the back of the truck. Got it running, idled once she was hot and other than a tappet noise, the standard chain clunk, and some oil dripping down somewhere behind the carbs it appears to be in pretty good working order. 26K original Kms

VII

Re: Day one CB650c

Postby VII » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:58 pm

antagonising wrote:... I soon discovered EVERYONE is doing this. Bad news: I won't be the only one. Good news: lots of great resources like this forum.

While not "everyone" is going the cafe route with their project, you have to realize that just about every bike has been given just about every treatment; there's nothing new under the sun. Now, your job is just to do what you want to do, regardless or what others did.

My suggestion, if you don't want to be like "everyone" else, is to not go the same route as the others. Clubmans are a great way to do the bike like most others do it. Try clipons, superbike bars or hell, make your own. You can have a cafe-esque bike without having to go through all the usual hoops. Just please don't throw on some clubmans and an ill fitting fiberglass seat and call it a cafe; cafes should require a little more heart than that. The majority of "Cafe Racers" are just lazy interpretations.

Don't be lazy and your bike will turn out great I'm sure. :wink:

antagonising

Postby antagonising » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:14 pm

Good point. I will do the bike as I envision it. Started tear down yesterday, and spent a considerable time just staring at it trying to decide how I wanted it to look.

I will be making my own seat, but I don't have a lot of money to throw at it. I don't however, mind spending time on details and fabrication.

Thanks for your input.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:33 pm

U going to use that tank?
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Return to “Show it off”