Newly finished Cafe Racer

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Hank084

Newly finished Cafe Racer

Postby Hank084 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:27 pm

This project started in late June this summer and i finally took it out on the road for the first time this weekend. Here is just a sample of some of the pictures i took from this project. Thanks for taking a look. I hope you all approve.

Hank084

Re: Newly finished Cafe Racer

Postby Hank084 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:29 pm

heres a couple more

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:22 am

Really nice result! :D
Now instrument box looks somewhat out of place.
Drive chain tension looks really tight.
And the "seat" looks not like I would like to ride it for longer. :lol:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

The Volt

Postby The Volt » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:19 am

Looks really good man. Did you powder coat or Paint? (Wheels, Fork legs, Caliper)

Hank084

Postby Hank084 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:09 pm

This bike was completely torn apart and sandblasted. Then i used POR15 on all the frame parts as a bottom coat and finished it with POR15 top coat. POR15 is UV sensitive so you need to put some kind of top coat over it. They make a top coat that looks great but isnt cheap. I used the top coat on frame, swing arm, chocks and wheels. That paint is great but not cheap. The caliper is painted with engine enamel and clear coated with an engine enamel as well. The motor is just gloss black engine enamel and clear enamel on all the brushed aluminum pieces.

As for the gauge cluster i know it looks out of place but i just wanted it on the road before the weather turned too bad. Im here in Columbus OH so the riding days are limited. The speedometer clocks my mileage correctly but gets stuck around 40-50mph and stays there. I have to hit it to get the needle back down. The tach isnt much better its a bit sticky as well high up in the RPM range and i don't think its too accurate way up high.

The motor has been completely taken apart (top end really). Replaced all the gaskets and cleaned, lapped the valves. The carbs have been completely been redone and cleaned. New jets...42 idle 120 main. Seems to be running really well but has a miss every once in a while. Ordered new plug wires and boots so that should fix the problem. It sounds mean but its not the most comfortable thing in the world. Road it over the weekend and ive never been so sore after a ride. Its worth it though

Glad you guys like it.

Hank084

Postby Hank084 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:40 pm

I also had a doner bike to work from and take parts from. The custom that i used as the finished product had a motor with just over 10k miles on it but they PO said it only ran on three cylinders. this is what i found....

I ended up using the motor out of the project bike that was originally purchased but it had a broken motor mount that i ended up having welded back together...

this motor was cleaner than the blown one but the mileage is unknown.
The doner bike is still in pieces but im pretty sure its an European model bc it had not rear set mounts or rear passenger mounts. I have the aluminum pieces that bolt on for those mounts though. Havent checked the vin but im sure its an european 650Z.

nitroeagle

Postby nitroeagle » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:14 pm

Looks good. Form over function! The POR15 is great stuff. Hard as a rock. I used it on mine plus the UV covering. You can find a starter kit on ebay pretty reasonable. I got a bottle of cleaner, bottle of rust remover, base coat, & uv coat for $50. Have fun with it

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:06 am

That cylinder looks really tough. Did you take the valves out of the head or were the bottom parts of them already missing?
Good idea to use another engine even when some welding was required. Probably much metal has gone through this one. If you ever consider to rebuild this one, check all moving parts (bearings) and verify all oil channels (especially cam oil gallery bushings at cylinder bottom gasket level) to be free of metal and debris.

The Z-model (RC03 frame similar to 1979 US) came with the alumina footpeg plates. The outer valve covers should have fins and carry the letters "OHC 650", right?
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Hank084

Postby Hank084 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:27 am

The original project bike i got came with a black motor. It was the one with the broken motor mount and was just spray painted im sure. The project bike that came to me in pieces had a CB650Z frame but like i said the motor i dont believe was a European model. Once i bought the second bike (the Custom) i ended up using most of it in my project but thank good for the other parts bike because there was quite alot missing on the custom, including a motor that was in good shape.

Return to “Show it off”