80' 650 project Gulf racer

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Silenthunter

80' 650 project Gulf racer

Postby Silenthunter » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:38 pm

I just bought this bike the day before thanksgiving. Owned by a kid who did some cafe stuff to it. I had a 5 day restoration marathon thats just ended yesterday :)

The tank is from I dont know what, but the sides are dented in for your knees, looks cool but needed to be seriously blocked out before painting. lots of younger people think that paint will hide stuff and its OK to not finish sanding, lol Went to finish master and got a quart of auto paint.

I have gone through the whole thing and corrected all of the little problems, cosmetic and functional. There were plenty that did not meet the eye initially!

Gauges were taken apart because the needles curled up and were hitting the glass. Removed metal ring to disassemble, and after I made new needles I re-assembled using a band of giant heat shrink tube I had laying around. It worked perfect and was pure luck I had that big piece of shrink tube!

Took off the gigantic boxy 70's rear taillight and replaced with a $6 trailer unit from Wal-mart and painted up.

Initially I wanted to make it sorta in the style of the old BMW/Ural sidecars. I will make a sidecar soon, thats a whole nother' project!

I'm thinking I might cafe it out more before I do the sidecar, add a single seat/fairing etc. Maybe some racy paint details etc. We'll see!
Last edited by Silenthunter on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silenthunter

Re: 80' 650 project, sidecar or racer...?

Postby Silenthunter » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:58 pm

Interesting solutions to common problems

Got some high quality reinforced hose and made new engine/carb couplers. Carbs got an O ring and the hose slipped over that and tightened down to take up the size difference. Much better than the stock un-reinforced rubber IMO, and best part is its a fraction of the price of a replacement part, and you can do it NOW!

Handlebars hitting tank one way? drilled, tapped and Installed a 6/32 setscrew to adjust the steering stop. Its little stuff like this that makes a big difference of your enjoyment of the machine IMO. Not having to worry about damaging tank paint every time you move the bike.

What kind of clutch cable is that? Its the perfect length outer tube (stock is way too long) and I want it done NOW. So i went to the Honda parts house and got them to get me a cable the correct length. problem was it was NOT the correct inner cable length, too long. So I made up a new securing system where I could cut the cable down and still fasten it to the handle. Worked perfect from the start :)

This is the heat shrink tube I was referring to in the first post i used to re-assemble the gauges. You can buy shrink tube this big of diameter from a hobby store in China.

If you need a few pieces because you need to get in your gauges, PM me and just pay me the mailing cost and I'll send you a few to do the job.

Trailer tail light. Has brake light and license plate light too, all in one neat unit. Just bent the tabs of the stock mount over and bolted up.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:23 pm

You, sir, are my HERO!

Great Stuff!
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:28 am

Welcome here! :D

Nice bike, interesting solutions.
I assume for the clutch cable, the bolt from the bottom goes half through directly on the cable to fix it, right? Then bending migth become a problem with time.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Silenthunter

Project Gulf racer

Postby Silenthunter » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:32 pm

Thanks. Hah we'll see what happens with it.

So I found my "theme" Having always loved the old Gulf team paint scheme + anything vintage race, Im going for the racer complete with a fairing etc.

Got some Gulf blue and orange auto paint and had a it! Still to do:

Sponsor stickers, Gulf logo's etc
Black exhaust
Fairing and windscreen
Find a suitable rear brake light and new blinkers
New handlebars, different angle (any suggestions?)

I made the rear fairing from the aft end of an old gas tank. The seat is scratch built with a plywood frame.

Last edited by Silenthunter on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silenthunter

Re: Project Gulf racer

Postby Silenthunter » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:34 pm

Mods can you please move this to my other thread, I hit new topic rather than reply. Sorry!

[x] done. Volker_P :wink:

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:52 pm

Wow! That looks great!
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Ruckryder

Postby Ruckryder » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:29 am

Nice job !!! :)
" Don’t be discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward." ~ Unknown

Silenthunter

Re: 80' 650 project Gulf racer

Postby Silenthunter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:43 am

Thanks guys!

I'm having a blast with it. been away from motorcycles for about 15 years and doing cars. Had an BMW e30 "M3" I just sold recently. loved it but playing with race cars is just way too expensive for me, not to mention much harder to work on than bikes cause i dont have a lift. I used to race 500cc motocross in the early 90's and this is my first bike since then. Actually my first street bike too.

You can do a pretty decent amount of stuff for the money on a bike as compared to a car. Damn, to do anything meaningful at all on a car costs over a grand...

Return to “Show it off”